Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

12 hours ago, VonKarman said:

It leaves you with a QB capable of winning 7-9 games on his first year playing professional football. That's far more valuable than ending with 4-5 wins. What you say is valid when you know the worth of your QB and he isn't on his rookie contract.

The reality is that if Love is QB this year then Green Bay's entire strategy is down the toilet. We aren't winning a title with Love in 21 so all the void years and cap kicking will have been a pretty serious mistake. You don't sacrifice the future for now if you don't compete now.

If Love wins 4-5 games with this roster it will be a bit concerning especially given the team could well be weaker next season. 

If we had let players go, swerved the void years and kept the cap healthy then Love winning 4-5 games but showing potential to be a franchise QB would be fine. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, VonKarman said:

The void years are not a mistake, they are a consecuence of the pandemic. There was no way of being under the cap without adding them (unless you were thinking about cutting pretty much everyone from the team).

That was his point. They went the void year route to keep the band together. That only makes sense with 12 at QB. Otherwise, just rebuild for a year or two around Love. Not having 12 for this season after all the financial maneuvering we just went through would be a major blunder. 

2 hours ago, ReadyToThump said:

Packers vs colts from last year just started on NFLN.

Who the f**k thought it was a good idea to have Darrius Shepherd be our returner and get some actual snaps at WR, let alone make the team. What an embarassment. 

We seem to always have a few of those obvious head-scratching roster decisions every year. This is the same team that thought Brice could start at safety, when it was obvious he couldn't.

3 hours ago, ReadyToThump said:

Packers vs colts from last year just started on NFLN.

Who the f**k thought it was a good idea to have Darrius Shepherd be our returner and get some actual snaps at WR, let alone make the team. What an embarassment. 

Again, this goes back to the "too many good WRs" that we were discussing earlier.  Compare the numbers of Shepherd and Tavon Austin.  

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

We seem to always have a few of those obvious head-scratching roster decisions every year. This is the same team that thought Brice could start at safety, when it was obvious he couldn't.

I will disagree about Brice.  At the time, he looked like an ascending player, and he was cheap.  Turns out, he plateaued, and he never corrected his flaws.  And those flaws were magnified with more playing time.  Every team makes moves like that, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Agreed, although it's gotten better I feel. We're filling the back end of the roster spots with higher upside/athletic ability guys. 

Look at our safety depth now for instance, Uphoff, Vernon Scott, Innis Gaines and Henry Black. That's a very athletic group. I actually could see Scott or Uphoff getting some playing time this year. Or at least being plus ST players for us.

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Again, this goes back to the "too many good WRs" that we were discussing earlier.  Compare the numbers of Shepherd and Tavon Austin.  

I will disagree about Brice.  At the time, he looked like an ascending player, and he was cheap.  Turns out, he plateaued, and he never corrected his flaws.  And those flaws were magnified with more playing time.  Every team makes moves like that, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

Don't care about the #'s. I just know Sheperd did not belong in the NFL. Rather have a guy like Juwann Winfree or a Reggie Begelton there. Watch Winfree make the squad this year...not sure about his return ability but he did get ST reps on KO last year.

20 hours ago, packfanfb said:

That was his point. They went the void year route to keep the band together. That only makes sense with 12 at QB. Otherwise, just rebuild for a year or two around Love. Not having 12 for this season after all the financial maneuvering we just went through would be a major blunder. 

This.

There had to be some cap kicking to some extent due to the pandemic but nowhere near this much. We brought back players like Mercedes Lewis that we couldn't afford (without pushing the bill down the road) and we didn't necessarily need as we have plenty of other Tight Ends on the roster.

This kind of move makes complete sense if you have Rodgers and want one more crack at it. But make zero sense if you have a fresh raw QB like Love.

We've been doing this all summer - the street free agent we signed I forget his name, we could live without another MLB but we signed him with void years. Aaron Jones doesn't have void years but its going to see dead cap in 23 so is the same kind of thing. All summer we've been signing players we can't really afford and could work around if we lost them or didn't sign them.

Which makes me think the Rodgers thing must have blind-sided them completely as if they thought there was a chance he wasn't going to be back, they would have gone down a completely different route. 

• Like 1

PackersWire -  Aaron Rodgers finishes 24th at American Century Championship

Rodgers scored 34 total points over the 54 holes. The tournament uses a modified Stableford scoring system that rewards pars and birdies or better and subtracts for scores worse than bogey.

Overall, Rodgers made six birdies, 24 pars, 20 bogeys and four double bogeys over the 54 holes. At the Par 72 course, he shot 82 in Round 1, 80 in Round 2 and 76 in Round 3. His points by round: 9, 10, 15, for 34 total.

Vinny Del ***** and John Smoltz tied at 69 points for first place. Among current or former NFL players, Rodgers finished eighth. Former Packers receiver Sterling Sharpe scored 49 points and finished tied with Adam Thielen for 12th overall.

On 7/10/2021 at 2:38 PM, ReadyToThump said:

Don't care about the #'s. I just know Sheperd did not belong in the NFL. Rather have a guy like Juwann Winfree or a Reggie Begelton there. Watch Winfree make the squad this year...not sure about his return ability but he did get ST reps on KO last year.

Just think, we could've drafted a WR last year in the deepest WR class in quite sometime and not have these issues.

...and we wonder why our MVP QB is mad...

2 hours ago, Leader said:

PackersWire -  Aaron Rodgers finishes 24th at American Century Championship

Rodgers scored 34 total points over the 54 holes. The tournament uses a modified Stableford scoring system that rewards pars and birdies or better and subtracts for scores worse than bogey.

Overall, Rodgers made six birdies, 24 pars, 20 bogeys and four double bogeys over the 54 holes. At the Par 72 course, he shot 82 in Round 1, 80 in Round 2 and 76 in Round 3. His points by round: 9, 10, 15, for 34 total.

Vinny Del ***** and John Smoltz tied at 69 points for first place. Among current or former NFL players, Rodgers finished eighth. Former Packers receiver Sterling Sharpe scored 49 points and finished tied with Adam Thielen for 12th overall.

Vinny Del Sn@tch?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Vinny Del Sn@tch?

Lol.

I knew what the name was right away but my brain broke because I'm like who the hell was he because I was somehow thinking he was a football player

I was thinking he was a kicker, somehow crossing him with Al Del Greco

Edited by Norm