Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

10 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

You can twist it all you want. There are levels to things. If you think you’re as capable as these NFL executives who have the inside knowledge of the team and all of the details of how the cap works then you are naive. 

There's really no twisting going on.  You made a comparison, a poor one I might add, and you got shown that you were incorrect.  The problem you struggle to grasp is that the concepts (and details) aren't hidden behind some paywall that only NFL FO have access to.  Are there details that I'm not privy to?  Probably so.  But you can generate enough detail to know the basics to create a general understanding of the salary cap.  It's not some crazy Calculus 5 equation you're trying to figure out.

10 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

What I’m saying is that if we sign Davante to a big money contract , The executives will have a plan in place so that we’re not blowing up our future. That can be personnel or salary cap wise. These people know how to make it work. They have much more knowledge about this topic.  They have a lot more inside information on contracts and such.

Again, one player signing a big contract isn't an issue.  Well, aside from potentially a QB.  But when you add more pieces that need to get paid, you're talking about a problem that most teams would be envious of.  We've got a top 3 QB (Aaron Rodgers), top 10 RB (Aaron Jones), top 3 WR (Davante Adams), top 3 LT (David Bakhtiari), top 10 EDGE (Za'Darius Smith), and a top 10 CB (Jaire Alexander).  Of those 6, only Jaire Alexander and Aaron Jones are on their rookie contract OR the beginning of their secondary contract.  That's why those two players' combined cap hits are $8.3M next year.  When you pay players below their market value, you can spend money elsewhere.  When you spend money to retain players, you don't get them for those drastic discounts.  This is why the rookie salary cap was such a MASSIVE win for the NFL, and a massive loss for the NFLPA.

12 hours ago, VicPez said:

I feel like the safest and smartest option for Green Bay's front office is to treat this upcoming year as one last run at a championship.  Then, it's time for a rebuild.  Rodgers traded, Adams walks.  That money is spent resigning Alexander, Clark, Gary, Savage, basically anybody who might end up being a key piece for the next good Packers team.  Then, it's time to evaluate Love and determine whether Green Bay should be drafting to put pieces around him or looking for a new QB.

Hoping they find another way, but making it work from a cap perspective is not easy.  Sacrificing the future to take another run with Rodgers and Adams might sound attractive, but I've never been a fan of chasing a closing championship window.  The returns are marginal compared to the resources invested, and can have nagging implications for years.

EDIT:  Quick Google search shows that Clark already has a deal in place.  This is good.

I agree.

You can find a way to get Adams done but why ?  With a fresh QB in place, its not the time to burden yourself with huge 3rd contracts for declining players. Having to fight the cap every year, pushing money back, void years, dead money, constantly restructuring the big deals into worse and worse contracts.

Love doesn't mean a rebuild but we aren't all-in

Not going to pretend to have GM level understanding of the cap. But to me the sensible thing to do is let Adams go, trade Rodgers and release Z next summer. Make cap your friend not enemy and have room to sign your younger players. 

5 hours ago, CWood21 said:

There's really no twisting going on.  You made a comparison, a poor one I might add, and you got shown that you were incorrect.  The problem you struggle to grasp is that the concepts (and details) aren't hidden behind some paywall that only NFL FO have access to.  Are there details that I'm not privy to?  Probably so.  But you can generate enough detail to know the basics to create a general understanding of the salary cap.  It's not some crazy Calculus 5 equation you're trying to figure out.

There’s really nothing to discuss. If you really believe you have nearly enough knowledge to do the job then I wish I had your false sense of confidence. Idk when having a ‘general understanding’ of something makes you an expert but by all means, continue thinking so. 

1 hour ago, Rainmaker90 said:

There’s really nothing to discuss. If you really believe you have nearly enough knowledge to do the job then I wish I had your false sense of confidence. Idk when having a ‘general understanding’ of something makes you an expert but by all means, continue thinking so. 

CW's not claimed to be an expert but he does have a good understanding of the cap.

1 minute ago, Leader said:

CW's not claimed to be an expert but he does have a good understanding of the cap.

And that’s fine . The only thing I’m saying is that the financial executives in the NFL have a mastery level of understanding of it. And they have a lot more inside and other information that we don’t have. There’s levels to things . You may be able to do your personal taxes, but I’m pretty sure you don’t have the knowledge to do a multi million dollar companies taxes etc . 

7 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

And that’s fine . The only thing I’m saying is that the financial executives in the NFL have a mastery level of understanding of it. And they have a lot more inside and other information that we don’t have. There’s levels to things . You may be able to do your personal taxes, but I’m pretty sure you don’t have the knowledge to do a multi million dollar companies taxes etc . 

Understood by all. NFL FO's have more insider knowledge and expertise. Everybody (including CW) agrees with you.  So.......is this horse dead enough yet?

Edited by Leader

20 minutes ago, Leader said:

Understood by all. NFL FO's have more insider knowledge and expertise. Everybody (including CW) agrees with you.  So.......is this horse dead enough yet?

It should be . Idk how this is hard to understand. If the FO wants Davante they’ll have plans to make sure we’re okay for the future. That’s it. 

1 minute ago, Rainmaker90 said:

It should be . Idk how this is hard to understand. If the FO wants Davante they’ll have plans to make sure we’re okay for the future. That’s it. 

It's not hard to understand. Nobody other than you is saying its hard to understand.
That said CW does have a grasp on the cap regulations in a number of leagues. You could listen to worse.

19 minutes ago, Leader said:

It's not hard to understand. Nobody other than you is saying its hard to understand.
That said CW does have a grasp on the cap regulations in a number of leagues. You could listen to worse.

If that was true we wouldn’t be having this conversation.