Randall Cobb: Lock

Amari Rodgers: Lock

Devin Funchess: On the bubble

Malik Taylor: On the bubble

Equanimeous St. Brown: On the bubble

Juwann Winfree: Outside looking in

Reggie Begelton: Outside looking in

Chris Blair, DeAndre Thompkins and Bailey Gaither

I don't think that Allen Lazard is a lock.  I think he has his own tier of: it is his job to lose.  We all like Lazard (I think), but I also think that EQ and Funchess are capable of doing what Lazard does, and perhaps have the potential for more.  I still think Lazard has the inside track here, and would be very surprised if he doesn't win that "battle" outright.  

This looks like it is a ranking in order of value as well.  While I just said that Funchess and EQ could overtake Lazard, I think Taylor and Winfree should be ahead of them both.  These guys play special teams.  Someone has to try to cover JK's shanks, it won't be Funchess or EQ.  And when you start getting to the 5th and 6th WRs, they are largely interchangeable on offense.

@ThatJerkDave -

I think Lazard is probably faster than Funchess in a straight line race (not that I've seen Funchess run any time recently.....). EQ - dont know / cant say. I think he used to be quicker - but its been a few years since we've seen his best. The time is most definitely now for both of them.

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

@ThatJerkDave -

I think Lazard is probably faster than Funchess in a straight line race (not that I've seen Funchess run any time recently.....). EQ - dont know / cant say. I think he used to be quicker - but its been a few years since we've seen his best. The time is most definitely now for both of them.

Lazard very well could be the victim of playing for Iowa State vs Michigan, and is just better than Funchess.  

I was a HUGE EQ fan in the draft process.  But he has disappointed.  I think he needs to show up in a big way this preseason or he is gone.  I think he is behind Taylor and Winfree at this point, and I am not sure if he ever made the team on merit, or if he has that magical potential that if he hits, he could be huge.

4 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Lazard very well could be the victim of playing for Iowa State vs Michigan, and is just better than Funchess. 

I was a HUGE EQ fan in the draft process.  But he has disappointed.  I think he needs to show up in a big way this preseason or he is gone.  I think he is behind Taylor and Winfree at this point, and I am not sure if he ever made the team on merit, or if he has that magical potential that if he hits, he could be huge.

I've literally no opinion about Funchess other than he used to be good when with Carolina (not that I saw a whole bunch of him). Given his injury/COVID downtime - I've no clue.

I've been hopeful that EQ would more since his promising rookie season - but thats getting smaller in the rear view mirror......so it's time he step up.

Andy Herman -   Funchess, EQ, MVS all accounted for. So unlikely they were involved in any deal for Cobb.

///

Why would ever consider trading MVS is a bit beyond me....but whatever.

Edited by Leader

38 minutes ago, Leader said:

Andy Herman -   Funchess, EQ, MVS all accounted for. So unlikely they were involved in any deal for Cobb.

///

Why would ever consider trading MVS is a bit beyond me....but whatever.

Well, he’s in the last year of his rookie deal, so if we weren’t planning on re-signing him and we had an abundance of WRs for this year, it doesn’t seem unreasonable.  

2 minutes ago, mikebpackfan said:

Well, he’s in the last year of his rookie deal, so if we weren’t planning on re-signing him and we had an abundance of WRs for this year, it doesn’t seem unreasonable.  

It is unreasonable, MVS is the only WR they have with the ability to take the top off of a defense. He is going no where regardless of how deep the WR room is. 

7 minutes ago, R T said:

It is unreasonable, MVS is the only WR they have with the ability to take the top off of a defense. He is going no where regardless of how deep the WR room is. 

Didnt he lead the league last year in yards per reception?

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Davante Adams: Lock

Marquez Valdes-Scantling: Lock

Allen Lazard: Lock

Randall Cobb: Lock

Amari Rodgers: Lock

Devin Funchess: On the bubble
===========

Malik Taylor: On the bubble

Equanimeous St. Brown: On the bubble

Juwann Winfree: Outside looking in

I don't see the big surplus or confusion. 

1. You've got 6 guys who are default in.
  2. It's the National Injury League.   How likely is it that all six get through camp healthy, much less through the full season?  
  3. You've got a practice squad.  If you still like EQ, park him there until an injury arrises.   Same for Winfree.  
  4. Malik, who cares?  If you want, put him on the practice-squad or as a ST guy,.  

17 minutes ago, craig said:

I don't see the big surplus or confusion.

There was no surplus or confusion to see.
It was simply one guy's opinion (and some brief comments) about the WR room.

Edited by Leader

Agree, welcome getting opinions for sure.  I'm just expressing mine, that the WR group is very well-defined with 6 in.  Outside the big 6, it's guys waiting for an injury; competing for a PS spot; or looking to beat out some LB/S/RB/TE body for a ST spot.  

I do think that with Adams, Cobb, Funchess, and MVS expiring, using a couple of PS spots for WR makes sense.  So *IF* Winfree looks terrific, and EQ looks like he's actually ready and healthy, and could be effective replacements after several of the Big 6 leave next year, keeping those guys on the PS this year  could make a lot of sense.  

3 hours ago, Leader said:

Allen Lazard: Lock
As a result of missing six games last year with core muscle issues that required surgery, Valdes-Scantling was forced into a presumably foreign position as the Packers' No. 2 receiver. But when Lazard was on the field, he was right behind Adams on the depth chart. Lazard has developed into one of Rodgers' most trustworthy targets, and it shows through his 71.7 catch percentage last season.

Lazard is a prime trade candidate

I could see Funchess making the roster over someone like Sternberger, just because he can certainly do a job there as well. Lazard's blocking has also been really good, both offer possibly equivalent in-line game with far more upside outside. I could see us going with Big Dog - Deguara - Tonyan with 6 or 7 receivers because of that.