Packers hire Mike Pettine as Defensive Coordinator

marky mark

47 minutes ago, chillparsi1 said:

This honestly is the first post that has given me any pause about this hire. You look at the overall numbers Pettine's defenses have been good, so hoping this is just something we can iron out. I wanna dig into this more - and hopefully find some sunshine B|. I will say I pulled up the 49 point game you referenced. The Jets offense turned it over 5 times in that game. 4 fumbles and an INT

How many DCs can say that they have had consistent success vs. Brady though? I pulled up all of Brady's sub-70 Passer rating games. 4 came against Bates in MIA in the early 00's. 3 against Sutton in KAN/NYJ. 2 each against Schwartz, Zimmer, Pettite, Cotrell, Gray, and Coyle. Zimmer and Sutton were the only DCs to hold him below 70 passer rating in multiple games outside of the division, so for most of the others, it just comes down to getting enough chances at him. 

38 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

Some people hear “complex” scheme and their hair catches fire. 

Every expert said Capers defense, although complex, was very sound. Unfortunately TT kept turning over the roster so we never had enough veteran players to handle it. The players seem to have gotten frustrated and someone had to go. 

I expect Gooot to give Petitine more veterans who can pull this off and Petitine to have as good of a scheme as in the past. 

If that’s the reason why was Capers scheme the most successful his first years in GB when everyone was green to it...?

Good hire .. I had Vic and Gus as my top choices, but I thought Pettine was a strong choice as well.  I like attack style defense ... Just hope our players take to the new challenge well.  Sometime I think we've got a team full of dummies on that side of the ball.  Let's find out who can play and who can't. I suspect we will be active in free agency. 

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Like Sheldon?

No thanks. I like Kenny and Mike better.

Sheldon would provide a massive upgrade over Lowry both in the run game and in the interior rush game however. Lets say he doesn’t love his market and is willing to do a one year prove it deal. That’s a short term fix, but a massive one if he earns his money for the following season. 

Last time I remember playing vs the jets in their crib I remember their defense holding Rodgers without a TD.

it was 2010 when Pettine was DC. Rodgers had 170 yards, 44% completion percentage, no TDs, and sacked twice.

It was awhile ago and that defense was crazy but Maybe be that was why Mac respected him.

So I just watched the All-22s of 3 Pettine Games. 2 as Jets (Colts, Titans) and 1 as Bills (Pats).

Here are my initial thoughts, although as a good coach, all this is subject to change based on our personnel. 

-Plays a lot of single high man coverage

-Played Sub Ds 58% of the time by my count, but I could be wrong, and this is definitely influenced by the Titans game where they played a lot more base, so this will obviously be variable. 

-Some interesting formations including a 46 look, and moved back and forth between a 3-4 and 4-3 base alignment.

-Asks a lot out his ILBs including a lot of man coverage on TEs and RBs - we may have to upgrade here.

-A significant less amount of disguise pre-snap, although there was definitely more when he wasn't playing Brady & Luck. 

-More stunts on the D-Line then Dom.

-Seems to prefer a single high rangy safety, HaHa is perfect for this role. 

-If we are going to be playing more man, we definitely need more/better corners.

I plan on watching more tomorrow so I'll let you know

-

-

Wait a minute, isn't this the guy who has the blonde wife on that TV show Storage Wars? What the heck is MM doing?

My wife just said he was the HC for the Browns the last time they won multiple games in one year.  OK relax everyone!

42 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm saying as we saw with Hundley this year, the constant 3 and outs and turnovers can make a defense look bad. To still be top 10 with that group you have to be doing something right.

But then you have the 2015 Broncos who had every bit as bad as an offense as that group and still put up dominant defensive numbers. Peyton Manning was benched/injured 2/3 of the way through the season and had 9 TDs and 17 INTs at that point. The Broncos won a Super Bowl with Manning throwing 0 TDs and 1 INT and 141 yards in the Super Bowl. Good defense is good defense. I think he threw a pick six in like five consecutive games or something crazy like that. Mark Sanchez wasn't awful. He never threw more than 20 INTs as a starter with the Jets. He wasn't a super productive QB but he wasn't super turnover prone either. He had 26 TDs and 18 INTs in 2011. That's really not an excuse to be ranked 20th in scoring defense in 2011. I think the QB play that Pettine had from 2011-2013 with the Jets was much more competent than what we had this year with Hundley. Sanchez and Manuel were pretty much game managers that weren't terrible productive but they weren't turnover machines either. Pettine had a 20th ranked scoring defense in all three seasons. I really don't care about being Top 10 in overall defense if you are going to give up 22-24 PPG. Let's not forget we've had some seasons with Capers that were ranked just outside the Top 10 but we couldn't stop the good offenses from dropping 30-40+ points on us. I fear we are getting more of the same with Pettine. The Patriots put up at least 30 points on Pettine's Jets defense in 5 out of 8 games from 2009-2012 and at least once in each season he faced the Patriots. We can't forget Pettine also had a once in a generation player in Revis on his defense.

I care more about PPG allowed than overall defense. I really don't care if a defense gives up 280, 350, or 400 yards. At the end of the day its the point total that decides winners and losers. This is what the Patriots have been so good at over the years. They might not always have a Top 10 overall defense but they have been a Top 10 scoring defense in 12 out of the last 16 years with Brady as a starter. 2009 and 2010 were really good years for that Jets defense but they weren't all that great in 2011 and 2012. They were 20th in PPG allowed those seasons and gave up about 23 PPG. My cause for concern is that his track record mirrors that of Dom Capers. He had two really great years as DC of the Jets in 2009 and 2010 but then it fell off the rails in 2011-2012. It was similar in Buffalo in 2013. Top 10 in overall defense but again just 20th in scoring defense giving up 24 PPG. So basically the last 3 years of his track record as a DC is not really an improvement over what we had with Capers. He is literally Dom Capers vers. 2. I measure defenses by PPG and how many games they give up over 30 points in a season. His 2013 Bills defense gave up more than 30 points in 4 games. The 2012 Jets allowed 30 or more points in 3 games. The 2011 Jets allowed 30 or more points in 5 games. Again, I just don't see much of an improvement over Capers. Capers defenses were giving up 30 points 4-6 times a season. The way teams go 13-3 or better is to only 30 points once or twice in a season. Now Fangio on the other hand. His 49ers defense only allowed 30 or more points in three games total from 2011-2014. He was rebuilding the Bears defense from 2015-2017 and the Bears only allowed 30 points in 9 games during that stretch. I just think Vic Fangio is a better option. I hope I'm wrong and Pettine can come in here and get this ship turned around and lead us to Top 10 rankings in overall and scoring defense. I just haven't really seen Pettine outside his comfort zone to feel super good about this hire. He was the DC under his mentor for his entire tenure as a DC. Guys like Fangio and Bradley have proven they can get it done in different atmospheres and with different personnel. We'll see.     

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

This is not true. Unless you think NE, PIT, JAX, TEN, PHI, MIN, NO, and ATL just passed on Mike Pettine, Gus Bradley and Vic Fangio too.

It is when not a single report states that an interview ever took place with McCarthy. I call that passing.

Archived