Cousins would seriously consider Browns

Dawgpoun8017

48 minutes ago, duke2056 said:

Odds this guy gets tagged and traded?

Say they transition tag him and we trade for him.  Other teams then offer him contracts, and we have the right to match?

What sort of tag and trade scenarios are plausible, if any?

Well I don't think they could transition tag him and trade him. He wouldn't be under contract to trade until he was actually signed after being transition tagged unless no other team offered him a contract. That probably isn't realistic. They could franchise and trade him but at that dollar amount it seems unlikely unless a long term deal was made and if we have to give him a free agency type deal (overpay) and pay a decent draft pick I'm not sure it would be worth it.

20 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Well I don't think they could transition tag him and trade him. He wouldn't be under contract to trade until he was actually signed after being transition tagged unless no other team offered him a contract. That probably isn't realistic. They could franchise and trade him but at that dollar amount it seems unlikely unless a long term deal was made and if we have to give him a free agency type deal (overpay) and pay a decent draft pick I'm not sure it would be worth it.

I am not sure of the rules for tags and trades when it comes to the transition tags. 

Now, if they do NOT have another player to tag, I could see the possibility of a tag and trade with the regular franchise tag of 34 million or whatever it is.  Since more than one team will badly want him, and he is likely to get a huge deal, I could see this happening.  I highly doubt they get a high pick, but I could see it playing out that way.  If it costs a 3rd, F it, do it.  Then franchise him again for 50 million in 2019 , haha.  Though I don't think you can franchise someone more than 3 times.

I would give a 3rd for him and pay that 34 million in hopes we can strike a long term deal maybe during the year once we see how he is here. 

If we signed Cousins, would you accept both Buffalos 1sts, 2nd, a 2019 1st and 2nd for the #1 pick? 

We would still keep #4 and our front office could do some serious damage with 3 additional high picks. You’re talking 7 picks in the first 2 rounds.

50 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

If we signed Cousins, would you accept both Buffalos 1sts, 2nd, a 2019 1st and 2nd for the #1 pick? 

We would still keep #4 and our front office could do some serious damage with 3 additional high picks. You’re talking 7 picks in the first 2 rounds.

Yes.....well maybe.  

In theory sounds great to have 7 1st and 2nd round rookies in the starting rotation, but there has to be a cutoff on that at some point.  

I probably do it though UNLESS they love one of the QBs at 1

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

No but I would except that for 4. I’m still taking Darnold. 

3 hours ago, candyman93 said:

I would still draft Darnold.  But if we did trade for all those picks I'd hope we'd use them to move back up in the draft a few times.

No, I don’t feel comfortable dropping 21,22 spots. 

On 1/12/2018 at 11:14 PM, Thomas5737 said:

Worst 1st down percentage when passing on 3rd down:

Cutler
Hoyer
Kizer
Flacco
Eli
Cousins

Being in the bottom 6 of 37 qualifying QBs looks pretty bad. Now all aren't created equally, some teams will have more 3rd and longs because of penalties, running game etc... but still for as good as Cousins overall numbers are that is a concern. 3rd down passes are probably the most important plays in a game. Cousins is also bottom 10 (of 37) on 3rd and short passing, middle of the pack on 3rd and medium and bottom 10 on 3rd and long.

Reinforces my "meh" opinion of Cousins.

Another set of reasons not to even try to sign him.

19 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Reinforces my "meh" opinion of Cousins.

Another set of reasons not to even try to sign him.

Lot of sacks, I imagine a lot of those were 3rd and long.  Terrible weapons.  What I see form  him along with most of his numbers seems to back up that he is a very good QB

If we were to both sign Cousins AND trade down from pick 1, the most ideal thing would be to just move back with the Giants if they badly want one of the QBs, take two out of Chubb, Fitzpatrick, or Barkely (my least favorite of the three), and pick up something significant like their future 1st or a couple 2nds or whatever works out.  Prefer the 1st cause it could easily be high. 

I’d try to trade back to #2 first and rob the Giants first and then I’d make that trade if we got Cousins.

Archived