2018 Free Agency Discussion Thread

AnAngryAmerican

While I believe Kelly has much more talent than any R7 QB we have taken lately, we need to view him as nothing more than a warm body vying for the #3QB position. In the history of this league, how many times has a R7 QB, with zero rookie snaps, been seen by a FO as anything more than a warm body. If people think Kelly will play into Elway's drafting or FA signing of a QB, they are getting way, way, way ahead of themselves.

Historically we will be lucky if he gives us two years at a Trevor Siemien level. Almost all R7 QB's are wash outs. We actually hit with Siemien when comparing him to other R7 QB's. Taking percentages into account, its extraordinarily unlikely that we hit on two R7 QB's in like four years. I have a bit of hope, but right now Chad is closer to camp fodder than anything. He needs to win the QB3 job before we take the next step in projecting his development.

17 hours ago, germ-x said:

When McDaniels took Brandstater the guy was getting hyped to be the next Brady.  Van Pelt at one point was going to be the next franchise QB for this organization.  It just always seems fans fall in love with the late round QBs around here, hell maybe it’s league wide, I don’t know.

I don't know what you are talking about.

Let's talk about some non-QB options for the team.

First, if you believe the rumor mill, DT, ES, or both could be gone from the WR corps this offseason. I find that unlikely, personally, but Sanders is definitely not well-liked on the team. Thomas will probably end up restructuring and has become an easy target for fans to hate, even though it's undeserved.

I would like to see someone like Paul Richardson brought in at WR. He wouldn't be overly expensive but would add something to the WR corps which is putrid right now. At tight end, I'd like to see us maybe kick the tires on Trey Burton to pair with Jake Butt. I think that's an incredibly intriguing young combo of players with different skill sets. It would allow us to also keep Traylor on for his blocking skills. Traylor is actually a pretty decent player from what I saw this year. Sefarian-Jenkins is another option that has some upside.

I see us going after DL depth, but it really depends on Wolfe. I think we shouldn't underestimate the fact that Wolfe may never play again, or if he does, will not be playing at a high level. Spinal stenosis is no joke, and he's had repeated issues. I need to look into some more options on the DL. Could see NT being a focus though given Peko has only one year left and we have next to no depth. That said, Gotsis had a much better year than I expected. I'm hoping he builds on that because it would certainly be a reversal of fortune with that pick

First, if you believe the rumor mill, DT, ES, or both could be gone from the WR corps this offseason. I find that unlikely, personally, but Sanders is definitely not well-liked on the team. Thomas will probably end up restructuring and has become an easy target for fans to hate, even though it's undeserved.

I would like to see someone like Paul Richardson brought in at WR. He wouldn't be overly expensive but would add something to the WR corps which is putrid right now. At tight end, I'd like to see us maybe kick the tires on Trey Burton to pair with Jake Butt. I think that's an incredibly intriguing young combo of players with different skill sets. It would allow us to also keep Traylor on for his blocking skills. Traylor is actually a pretty decent player from what I saw this year. Sefarian-Jenkins is another option that has some upside.

I would hope that the relationship between the team and Sanders can be repaired, because I hate the idea of losing him, only getting 5M in cap space and then spending the 7-8M per season (Maybe more) to replace him with a guy like Paul Richardson. Make no mistake, Richardson as a young, developing deep threat who can play slot will have many suitors. He should get at least 7-8M per season. I also think Sefarian-Jenkins should be a pricy option, after Jimmy Graham he is probably the #2 FA TE. And the market is pretty bad after those two. I can see him getting a similar 7-8M per season.

Trey Burton should be somewhat cheap, but still in the 4-5M range IMO. He and Ed Dickson (Who may be cheaper, and will probably demand less years) are my top options at TE. We need a capable starter because nothing can be assumed with Jake Butt. I also lean towards keeping Heuerman over Traylor. Similar blocker and was showing a bit of pass catching skills towards years end. I would be OK with either as long as they are relegated to TE3.

I see us going after DL depth, but it really depends on Wolfe. I think we shouldn't underestimate the fact that Wolfe may never play again, or if he does, will not be playing at a high level. Spinal stenosis is no joke, and he's had repeated issues. I need to look into some more options on the DL. Could see NT being a focus though given Peko has only one year left and we have next to no depth. That said, Gotsis had a much better year than I expected. I'm hoping he builds on that because it would certainly be a reversal of fortune with that pick

I just don't see the need w/ the DL. I think we have a capable 34DE rotation. Wolfe is Wolfe and Gotsis is quite good against the run, and still developing technically in rushing the passer. Then Shelby and Walker as pass rushers off the bench. That's a quality rotation, as long as Gotsis and Walker take even a small step forward. And at NT, we likely get another season from Peko who was tremendous last year. I hope we draft a middle round NT to replace him after a season. He seems like someone who would be a tremendous mentor. A guy like Lowell Loutulelei or Khalil McKenzie, talented, athletic dudes that run hot/cold, could really learn a ton behind Peko.

7 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I would hope that the relationship between the team and Sanders can be repaired, because I hate the idea of losing him, only getting 5M in cap space and then spending the 7-8M per season (Maybe more) to replace him with a guy like Paul Richardson. Make no mistake, Richardson as a young, developing deep threat who can play slot will have many suitors. He should get at least 7-8M per season. I also think Sefarian-Jenkins should be a pricy option, after Jimmy Graham he is probably the #2 FA TE. And the market is pretty bad after those two. I can see him getting a similar 7-8M per season.

Trey Burton should be somewhat cheap, but still in the 4-5M range IMO. He and Ed Dickson (Who may be cheaper, and will probably demand less years) are my top options at TE. We need a capable starter because nothing can be assumed with Jake Butt. I also lean towards keeping Heuerman over Traylor. Similar blocker and was showing a bit of pass catching skills towards years end. I would be OK with either as long as they are relegated to TE3.

I just don't see the need w/ the DL. I think we have a capable 34DE rotation. Wolfe is Wolfe and Gotsis is quite good against the run, and still developing technically in rushing the passer. Then Shelby and Walker as pass rushers off the bench. That's a quality rotation, as long as Gotsis and Walker take even a small step forward. And at NT, we likely get another season from Peko who was tremendous last year. I hope we draft a middle round NT to replace him after a season. He seems like someone who would be a tremendous mentor. A guy like Lowell Loutulelei or Khalil McKenzie, talented, athletic dudes that run hot/cold, could really learn a ton behind Peko.

I think Sanders will be traded. I would love to have Jarvis Landry.

3 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I think Sanders will be traded. I would love to have Jarvis Landry.

For the money he’s asking for we’d be way better off keeping sanders over Landry.   I’m not the biggest Landry fan anyways but he’s gonna get way overpaid imo

46 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

For the money he’s asking for we’d be way better off keeping sanders over Landry.   I’m not the biggest Landry fan anyways but he’s gonna get way overpaid imo

Landry is asking for Davante Adams money - 14M AAV+.    Normally that's a pipe dream, but it's a weak FA WR class, especially if Allen Robinson gets the franchise tag from JAX - Landry becomes the top WR FA available along with Sammy Watkins (injury flags and a down year in LAR, bet he gets a prove-it one year deal and re-enters FA in 2019 looking for the big $, but Landry's window to get the most $ is now).   Easy pass given that $ that he's looking for.

The Richardson call is a really good one btw - great ball skills, and underutilized in SEA's O with their focus on Baldwin/Jimmy Graham in the RZ.   Plus he can play outside, and let DT/Sanders play inside.   If he's in the 7-8M  AAV range, we should be all over that.   Sadly I kind of agree we might see the market drive him up because he could be the #3 WR in this class.

Trey Burton if he's only 5M is another great value - I actually think he's going to get more, though.   Getting a TE who's ready to help costs more than we think, under-the-radar TE FA's have been getting 5M AAV in multi-year deals when the cap was 15-20M less, with inflation that would be a great bargain. 

1 hour ago, champ11 said:

Richardson was the best player in my 3 years at CU. I'm here for it! 

Given that both Vance and Matt Russell are CU guys, and both inexplicably still have jobs with the Broncos for reasons I cannot fathom, I wouldn't be surprised to see us go after Richardson. I wouldn't mind signing him if the price is right. 

4 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I don't know how there isn't a need with the DL. To say "Wolfe is Wolfe" means nothing- his spinal stenosis might prevent him from playing football again, or at least prevent him from playing at a high level. There's at least a medium amount of risk with him. Peko is 35 (?) and has one more year. We have no adequate backup NT. That should be on top of the priority list. I agree Gotsis has improved, and Harris was a nice surprise, but he's also an RFA with one year of average performance overall. Walker is a total question mark given he played 1 game this year. Denver went guns blazing for Calais Campbell last year, which tells me they aren't opposed to adding someone good. No one on this team is at that level, so I think we keep our options open for DL help.

Wow...just read at lunch that Elway is aiming to blow things up...Siemien getting traded, Sanders getting traded or cut, Talib getting shopped, Paxton getting traded or cut if the Broncos sign Cousins.  Who is next..I am going CJ.  This class of RBs is pretty good with Barkley, Marcel, Chubb...

Need Wolfe to stay healthy and for Walker to get bigger and develop but our defensive line is really good on paper. Wolfe, Peko, Gotsis is a really stout starting group, Harris can play all over the line and is our best inside rusher, Walker has potential as a 3rd down 3-tech too. Shelby Harris is an awesome young player and he actually filled in really well for Peko at NT. 

Could see a NT pick early Day 3 depending on what the staff thinks of Lil Peko's development but that's a group I actually feel good about. Best unit on the team in 2017. 

Archived