NFL News & Notes

Leader

7 hours ago, packfanfb said:

I still think Julio is the obvious fit, but it would have to be a mutual desire. Julio would have to want to come here and play, thinking he can keep his career alive with a season with 12 as his QB. GB obviously isn't going to offer very much and he's probably still holding out for more than teams are willing to pay. Ultimately, I'm guessing GB will be interested but Julio will probably have to choose us over a team offering him more. 

I still think Julio to the Colts makes the most sense though.  He and Matt Ryan are very familiar with each other.  Indy has a great rushing attack to take pressure off of the receiving group.  They also have a worse WR group than the Packers, so he is guaranteed playing time and the targets to earn any additional bonuses.

OBJ I think fits the Packers the best.  There was apparent mutual interest last season.  He won't be ready until either one or both of Watkins and Cobb are on IR, so it makes sense to bring him in later in the season to fortify the group.  May even be able to get him to sign for a reasonable second year to recoup some value when he would still just be 31 and could get one last good contract.

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Rookies...

Can't read too much into it, I imagine it happens to many great players when they reach the next level.  It also calls into question the workouts being required without a ramp up period.  I think it's bad for teams to air it out on social media.  The last thing you need is more of a microscope than you already have in your first year on the job.

1 hour ago, Refugee said:

Can't read too much into it, I imagine it happens to many great players when they reach the next level.  It also calls into question the workouts being required without a ramp up period.  I think it's bad for teams to air it out on social media.  The last thing you need is more of a microscope than you already have in your first year on the job.

These are open minicamps to the media, it's not the teams airing anything really. Anyone watching seen it and can report it.  

29 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Burks had to leave in the first 20 minutes. Matches up with the reports that he was out of shape for interviews. Also matches up with the dumb as a box of rocks reports.

The conditioning thing would scare me a hell of a lot more

25 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Burks had to leave in the first 20 minutes. Matches up with the reports that he was out of shape for interviews. Also matches up with the dumb as a box of rocks reports.

Wow, and I wanted him at 22. Reports are that Rodgers liked him the most out of all the WRs in the draft. Not saying he won't become a good receiver but his career is starting out rocky.

On 5/12/2022 at 4:00 PM, Old Guy said:

Broncos WR Jerry Jeudy arrested on misdemeanor criminal tampering charges (nfl.com)

How 'bout them Alabama WR's. I'm not a lawyer but this does not sound good for Mr. Jeudy. Especially since they won't give him bail until he sees a judge. 

Stupid is as stupid does!

This aged poorly. Way to overreact before knowing the details.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gopackgonerd said:

The conditioning thing would scare me a hell of a lot more

The specific thing about his mental game that came up in the pre-draft process is that Arkansas would regularly have to run the play in for him from the sideline and they'd have to scheme stuff up specifically for him since he didn't take to the offense readily.

That's more concerning than "can't spell cat if you spot him the c and the t".

He's probably a better fit in Tennessee where the defense and running game makes the thing work and they can bring him along however slowly he needs to be brought along, than in Green Bay where you'd like him to be at least a functional part of the pass game week 1.

My suspicion was that Watson was the next guy on the Packers board after Olave went.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

You mean we could have traded up for these real #1 WRs, Burks and Pierce but we took Watson instead?  He didn't even have an asthma attack after warm ups!  Bust city!

Burks I think they might have bit the bullet if they had to, but he needs a lot of work.  Dotson was for sure too small, and there was never a chance they would have taken Jameson Williams (the Packers organization is super conservative when it comes to drafting guys who are currently injured.)

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

The specific thing about his mental game that came up in the pre-draft process is that Arkansas would regularly have to run the play in for him from the sideline and they'd have to scheme stuff up specifically for him since he didn't take to the offense readily.

That's more concerning than "can't spell cat if you spot him the c and the t".

He's probably a better fit in Tennessee where the defense and running game makes the thing work and they can bring him along however slowly he needs to be brought along, than in Green Bay where you'd like him to be at least a functional part of the pass game week 1.

My suspicion was that Watson was the next guy on the Packers board after Olave went.

Maybe Williams if they think the medical checked out, but probably right.