NFL News & Notes

Leader

22 hours ago, Leader said:

AZ giving up one year into the career of their #1 pick (#10 overall) isnt a good look see IMO. Plus - as you stated - he had a bad (rookie) year on a bad team. So what are the GBPs getting? A washout already (?) or a QB (that like every other QB in the league) needs talent around him to succeed? I lean more towards the latter - which makes me skeptical AZs gonna walk from the guy already.

As for Kizer - I think the guy needs coaching. CLE was nothing but a cluster____ and I think the infrastructure was lacking in GB. The size and skills are there IMO.

Different coach and offense.  Doesn't mean he's not going to be a good QB.  Personally I have given up on Kizer.  He doesn't have it.  Kingsbury is in love with Murray.  Fits his offense he's the guy.  We'll see.  #44 and Kizer might get it done.  See how this all progresses.  Given Aaron's injury history I'd consider it.  Sure would be nice to have someone who can step in and perform at a high level.  AZ could probably trade down a few spots and still land Murray.  Lot of speculation this time of year.  All it is. Rosen will be a franchise QB in this league.  If you can land him on the cheap why not?  Regardless the Packers really need to address the back up QB situation.  Getting Rosen on a rookie contract would be worth #30 to me.  #44 and Kizer would be better still.  At least it will be interesting to follow.  Nothing will probably happen until the day of the draft and most likely won't involve the Packers.

On 3/2/2019 at 9:52 AM, Outpost31 said:

Yeah, I wouldn't trade a third round pick for Rosen.  A team trades a top 10 QB after one year and that doesn't bring up red flags for anybody?  I'm a firm believer in the old adage of where there's smoke there's fire, and there's been a hell of a lot of smoke regarding Rosen's personality and social intelligence. 

No.  Arizona is a dumpster fire of a franchise right now.  The Cardinals are devoid of talent on offense, and they just hired a college HC who got fired.

What am I not understanding here.......?

From ESPN:

"The Los Angeles Rams have released starting inside linebacker Mark Barron league sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Tuesday"

(Okay - thats present tense. They released the guy)

"If they designate Barron for a post-June 1 release, they will save $8 million on their salary cap"

(Can you release a guy now - targeting a later release for cap purposes?)

21 minutes ago, Leader said:

From ESPN:

"The Los Angeles Rams have released starting inside linebacker Mark Barron league sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Tuesday"

"If they designate Barron for a post-June 1 release, they will save $8 million on their salary cap"

Yes, a normal release you take the full hit of the remaining guaranteed money immediately. A June 1 designation allows you to split it 50/50 between this year's cap and next year's. An option for Nick Perry, it would gain us an additional 4m this year, but he would also count 5.5m against 2020's cap.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Yes, a normal release you take the full hit of the remaining guaranteed money immediately. A June 1 designation allows you to split it 50/50 between this year's cap and next year's. An option for Nick Perry, it would gain us an additional 4m this year, but he would also count 5.5m against 2020's cap.

Okay. Thanks for the clarification.

So operationally - the guy's on the street now - but for "accounting purposes" - they can work the paperwork different ways to achieve different cap outcomes. Interesting. I didnt realize they could work it that way. That when a guy got released - he was totally released.

Edited by Leader

32 minutes ago, Leader said:

From ESPN:

9 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I could be wrong, but if you post June 1 him, you do not get that cap relief until that time.  I don't believe you can spend that cap savings in free agency right away.  It is tough to read through, but here is the explanation from overthecap.

https://overthecap.com/explaining-the-june-1st-designation/

When you designate someone as a June 1 cut the player and his current contract remain on the books until June 1. Going back to the Breaston example has he been designated a June 1 cut his cap charge today would not be $1 million with $2 million on the books in 2014. His cap charge would be $5 million dollars, the same cap charge as if they never cut him at all. When June 1st hits his cap then moves down to $1 million and the other $2 million accelerate into the 2014 season. By that point in time free agency is finished and the extra cap room does not do the team much good. They would have been in a far better cap position during the important time of free agency by releasing Breaston outright as the Chiefs did.

• Like 2

How's about this?

I'm tired of this offseason already. Lets get on with things. 
So - why doesnt the NFL compress the off season into a month - expand rosters by a third (or more....) and increase games to......30 or so LOL