NFL News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, Brat&Beer said:

Strange career trajctory. Made the Pro Bowl in his 3rd season and then looked like he lost interest. Was he overrated, or did he have a decline that's hard to fathom?

A lot of times a healthy int # will get a DB a Pro Bowl berth even if he's got issues....I remember back in the day TB DB Wayne Haddix had like 7 ints for 211 yds and 3 tds or something ridiculous, made the Pro Bowl, was out of the league the next year. 

(I am checking this to make sure my memory isn't faulty....nope, his big year was 1990 and he played in 1991 but didn't register a turnover in 13 games and was out of the league in 1992)

Lol Jaguars and Patriots aren’t picking anywhere near Lawrence territory.

It still baffles my mind how people think the Patriots won’t make the playoffs.

The Jaguars just got rid of every cancerous individual player to make their team better.  With a top 16 QB on 5th round pick cap allotment.  

Do you not remember how it was the Dolphins last year, Jets the year before who jettisoned overrated or individual players only to get better?

Edited by Outpost31

19 hours ago, VonKarman said:

If you make a one-year contract or a one-year extension you cannot put the money in other years unless you give a signing bonus and add void years (which is simply bad management in my opinion). It's what they did with Brady and what the Saints also do (BTW, Saints will not be contenders next year due to their cap situation). You could theoretically do it, but I don't think it's gonna happen the way Packers do things. And it would still not be easy. You can tag Bakhtiari (he's not gonna accepted being extended one year unless you give him Tunsil money), but you still have to pay King. Other easier option would be to get a Breeland type of player that doesn't cost too much (If King plays well this year he's going to get a lot of money). You also have the chance that by some miracle the business goes really well despite COVID and have a 185M cap next year. Then we'd be able to keep both.

COVID is going to **** with the chances of those teams that were trying to extend their window and do not have rookie qbs (see Saints, Vikings, Packers, Eagles, etc.). Cap does indeed exist.

Not saying you are wrong, but...am saying that if you extend Bakh one year, you can load this year and make next year very manageable.

With the cap supposedly going down, this will help potential free agents get more money, now and then be ready for their real contract when the cap increases.  Especially if those players like and trust their current club.

I don't think it would be all that hard to accomplish on the teams end.  The guys need to buy into it, though.  And agents have to realistic of what their free agents might get on a market next year when the cap shrinks and there isn't as much money to go around.

That is if, if the cap is "real".

10 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Not saying you are wrong, but...am saying that if you extend Bakh one year, you can load this year and make next year very manageable.

With the cap supposedly going down, this will help potential free agents get more money, now and then be ready for their real contract when the cap increases.  Especially if those players like and trust their current club.

I don't think it would be all that hard to accomplish on the teams end.  The guys need to buy into it, though.  And agents have to realistic of what their free agents might get on a market next year when the cap shrinks and there isn't as much money to go around.

That is if, if the cap is "real".

If you load this year you roll less money over, so it doesn't really matter, the cap space in 2021 will be exactly the same. Bakhtiari might the best OT in the league, and he probably wants to get paid like one. The guys who are going to get screwed are the guys who are in the 4-10M/year range, the top LT is going to be wanted by teams, specially when teams like the Browns/Colts/etc. have a lot of cap space. I guess he's never going to get Tunsil money because that was a stupid contract, but he'll be close to 20M a year. The only way to get him for cheap next year (around a 8-10M cap hit) is to extend him for at least 3 years.

It really is going to be hard to keep our guys.

51 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

If you load this year you roll less money over, so it doesn't really matter, the cap space in 2021 will be exactly the same. Bakhtiari might the best OT in the league, and he probably wants to get paid like one. The guys who are going to get screwed are the guys who are in the 4-10M/year range, the top LT is going to be wanted by teams, specially when teams like the Browns/Colts/etc. have a lot of cap space. I guess he's never going to get Tunsil money because that was a stupid contract, but he'll be close to 20M a year. The only way to get him for cheap next year (around a 8-10M cap hit) is to extend him for at least 3 years.

It really is going to be hard to keep our guys.

I don't see it that way.  You spend the money this year so that next year's cap number is significantly less and easier to fit under a shrinking cap.  Sure we "roll" more, but it gives the player more money this year, which is a "win" and you hopefully get them on a heavily discounted rate to help with the cap.  But. I get what you are saying and in premise it is "right".  My theory offers up a different rationalization and that is the hope that the player understands there won't be a lot of money in free agency, so it is wise to get more now, play for lower money (as opposed to FA) next year and then have the real deal in place for the year after.  Lots of moving parts.

Agree it is going to be hard to keep guys.  But since we are looking at Bakh...he seems to love being in GB.  I see him as the kind of guy to do that kind of deal if there is a handshake deal and understanding of what he will ultimately get paid, when the cap allows it.  Obviously that isn't true for all free agents.  

And...just a theory.  But it's one worth watching.  And you are right about which guys who are going to be "screwed".

OK, I get what you say. But to be able to do it you would need pay Bakhtiari something like 8M (the guy who wore a t-shirt saying call my agent on his last interview) and King around 4M (and even then it would be really tight). I just think that it is wishful thinking, specially when they'd easily double that money on year 1 in a contract they'd get in FA.

If you really wanna keep them both you'd need to make 4-year deal and backload the **** out of the contract while guaranteeing a lot of money (and you cannot do that with a big SB). GB doesn't do that but if you'd somehow brainwash Russ Ball it'd be possible.

Edited by VonKarman