NFL News & Notes

Leader

8 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

Just a little bit confused how this extended visor.. works?

Think about it like this:

I'm order to contact COVID you need to induct a certain amount of the virus. How much is individually based. I don't remember off the top of my head, but I want to say it's something like 20,000 parts per billion. That's for an average person. This is called the critical viral load.

Every time you're near somebody and have a conversation with somebody with COVID you take in a certain amount of the virus, typically a non threatening amount of it. Your viral load hasn't reached a critical level to risk infection. 

CDC guidelines lead us to suspect that in order to reach a critical viral load (at an observable infection rate, like 10%) you need to be having a conversation with an unmasked infected person (their level of COVID is also a large factor. Asymptomatic people appear to be less infectious) for about 15 minutes at a distance of about 4 feet in an indoor environment.

Based on everything we've seen, actually playing football on the field itself, against or with, an asymptomatic player isn't proving to be enough to deliver a critical viral load. We've not seen any on field transmissions so far.

Even with the holes in the visor, it's still taking up about 60% of the facial area in which infectious droplets are sent out. So if you think about it, the visor creates a scenario where you can have a conversation with an infected person for 38 minutes rather than 15 (15/.4 = 37.5). If we're not seeing transmission on the field/sideline now, this visor should serve to even further mitigate the possibility. (it's actually much longer on a football field considering it's an outdoor/super high ceiling indoor location. And even further when you consider everyone's getting tested daily and most everyone will likely be asymptomatic due to their age and fitness level. Alternatively people do push out more infectious droplets when breathing hard from exercise.)

Who knows whether it is actually helpful or more security theater, from what's being said, the inter player spread is happening in meeting rooms without helmets on, not on practice or game fields. Could be from standing on the sideline chatting maybe, which is why they'll be asked to keep the helmets on when not on the field.

I strongly suspect this was an ugly compromise with the players union about wearing masks on the sideline. Which I'm in favor of btw, not because I'm worried about the players but because it sets a good example for the folks that may not listen to doctors but might buy into it if Aaron Rodgers is doing it.

Edited by AlexGreen#20
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Which I'm in favor of btw, not because I'm worried about the players but because it sets a good example for the folks that may not listen to doctors but might buy into it if Aaron Rodgers is doing it.

It's difficult for me to support measures that are not science based and proven effective.  I agree reducing the initial transmission can keep people from getting infected but you want to make sure you really sell it to get people to buy in. 

I definitely agree getting stars (and other people in the public eye, but I won’t go too far down that road) to model good habits does help spread the message and hopefully reduce the spread of Covid.

As for AR himself, he seems skeptical of some of the restrictions and is usually seen with a flimsy bandana on so I hope he takes it a bit more seriously as a role model.  He is one whether he wants to be or not. 

Edited by Refugee

8 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Who knows whether it is actually helpful or more security theater, from what's being said, the inter player spread is happening in meeting rooms without helmets on, not on practice or game fields. Could be from standing on the sideline chatting maybe, which is why they'll be asked to keep the helmets on when not on the field.

I strongly suspect this was an ugly compromise with the players union about wearing masks on the sideline. Which I'm in favor of btw, not because I'm worried about the players but because it sets a good example for the folks that may not listen to doctors but might buy into it if Aaron Rodgers is doing it.

From what I've seen most people who don't listen to doctors on Corona say they've already checked out on the NFL because the league is full of liberal commies (which, as a not-quite-card-carrying liberal commie, is absolutely laughable). 

5 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

From what I've seen most people who don't listen to doctors on Corona say they've already checked out on the NFL because the league is full of liberal commies (which, as a not-quite-card-carrying liberal commie, is absolutely laughable). 

The NFL viewing numbers and demographics has determined that this is a lie. 

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

The NFL viewing numbers and demographics has determined that this is a lie. 

There's a conservative commentator who annually tweets out some comment about "if this is what this league endorses, I am DONE with the NBA!" 

It's virtually a winter tradition from that person. My right-wing friends kept getting angry at me when I was posting eye-rolls and LOL gifs every time they'd post about "being done with the NFL." It was so completely performative, because no one who wasn't me held them to account. 

I get it, it's perfectly OK for someone to decide an organisation or whatever doesn't support your views and to stop following it, but people don't like being called out for not adhering to theri principles. At least, I sure don't like it when people do it to me. ;) 

Just thinking about the MVP race....

Obviously GB has a great record and Rodgers is playing at a very, very high level.  He's in the conversation.  68.2% completion percentage.  .3 away from his career high as a starter.  29 TD's through 9 games.  4 INT.  7-3.

Wilson.  7-3.  70.7%.  30 TD's.  10 INT.

Donald.  9 sacks.  7-3.

Garrett.  9.5 sacks.  

Not sure if there is an MVP candidate on Pittsburgh, despite their best record.

No RB is having that great of a year, but if there is one to be considered, I think it is Dalvin Cook.  If not, Derrick Henry.

Mahomes  67.9%, 27TD.  2 INT.  9-1.

Interesting race.  I miss anyone?

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Just thinking about the MVP race....

Obviously GB has a great record and Rodgers is playing at a very, very high level.  He's in the conversation.  68.2% completion percentage.  .3 away from his career high as a starter.  29 TD's through 9 games.  4 INT.  7-3.

Wilson.  7-3.  70.7%.  30 TD's.  10 INT.

Donald.  9 sacks.  7-3.

Garrett.  9.5 sacks.  

Not sure if there is an MVP candidate on Pittsburgh, despite their best record.

No RB is having that great of a year, but if there is one to be considered, I think it is Dalvin Cook.  If not, Derrick Henry.

Mahomes  67.9%, 27TD.  2 INT.  9-1.

Interesting race.  I miss anyone?

It's between Mahomes and Rodgers right now. Mahomes is clearly the frontrunner, though IMO.

Just now, Leader said:

Is (or has) Stills been hurt?

2020's got a whole lot of nothing stats-wise:  10 games played / 19 targets / 11 receptions / 144 yards.

He was hurt this past week. Cobb basically took his targets this year in the slot. Thought he'd be traded but his contract wasn't great for another team.