NFL News & Notes

Leader

17 hours ago, deathstar said:

I have a hard time thinking of a Greg Roman run offense that had success when the QB was asked to sit in the pocket and make good decisions. What they’re asking Jackson to do right now is like they think they have Michael Vick, when they actually have a Kirk Cousins who is one of the best runners in the league. 

This is going to be impossible to prove and I’m willing to take the L right now, but if you put Jackson in an offense like LaFleur’s or Stefanski’s, IMO he’s a perennial MVP.

No need to take the L.

You raise an interesting point regarding Jackson.  I think he could be competent in an offense that emphasizes rollouts and things of that nature.  But here is the thing.  His mechanics are so bad, that in this offense, I think you are going to see him throw for a much lower completion percentage (than Rodgers).  His mechanics are just that bad.  Odds are that will show up even more if asked to throw on the run.

What he does now if fake a run, step back and find a pretty open guy.  It's an easier throw than throwing on move in a rollout/bootleg.  Not saying he can't do it, am saying he can't do it consistently enough to be a perennial MVP.

I like him in the offense he is now.  It plays to his strength and away from his weakness.  But, you do raise a very interesting point to me.

Beware the WFT.  Thats a "San Francisco-esque" DL their putting together.
I've no clue about their overall roster or draft picks/prospects - but if they can get a couple difference makers on offense, they'll reverse time and routinely battle for the NFCE lead  -  which is good for football IMO.

Having the Giants and WFT be relevant again is a good thing for the NFC.

24 minutes ago, Leader said:

Beware the WFT.  Thats a "San Francisco-esque" DL their putting together.
I've no clue about their overall roster or draft picks/prospects - but if they can get a couple difference makers on offense, they'll reverse time and routinely battle for the NFCE lead  -  which is good for football IMO.

Having the Giants and WFT be relevant again is a good thing for the NFC.

I watch very little NCAA football but I watched a few Ohio State games last year and was very happy that we beat Detroit but Washington  also dropped their final game last season. I wanted no part of Chase Young in the North, who was a lock for pick number 3. We’ll see how the corner the Lions picked up at 4 develops but he made no impact this year.  

The NFCE will be a rough defensive division over the next few years, much like the NFCW of the early 2010’s and the AFCN seems to be in many years. I agree it is good that there seems to be a quick turnaround but also that the Pack better start shaping up its own defense to compete. 

12 minutes ago, Refugee said:

I watch very little NCAA football but I watched a few Ohio State games last year and was very happy that we beat Detroit but Washington  also dropped their final game last season. I wanted no part of Chase Young in the North, who was a lock for pick number 3. We’ll see how the corner the Lions picked up at 4 develops but he made no impact this year.  

The NFCE will be a rough defensive division over the next few years, much like the NFCW of the early 2010’s and the AFCN seems to be in many years. I agree it is good that there seems to be a quick turnaround but also that the Pack better start shaping up its own defense to compete. 

I was extremely happy when the Lions took Okudah. Once Young was off the board, the only other prospect in that range that I "feared" (for lack of better word) was Derrick Brown. Now, I don't know how he's been with Carolina this year, and we'll see him next weekend, but I had him as my next best prospect. I never really fear high picks at CB. DL are a different breed though.

Ian Rapoport -   Washington QB Alex Smith was receiving treatment on his mild calf strain this morning, and so far, so good.

Why is it important? Since he took over, WFT has been a Top 10 offense, per NFL Research. Their 26.8 PPG ranks 7th since Week 10.

NFL Rumors  -  Cowboys: We’re Keeping Mike McCarthy

Despite speculation about his job security, Cowboys VP Stephen Jones says Mike McCarthy will “absolutely” be the head coach in 2021.
In an interview with 105.3 The Fan, Jones placed more of the onus on injuries than McCarthy’s coaching. 

“There will be absolutely no change with coach McCarthy, and I am surprised that someone would question Mike, these unprecedented situations that everyone’s been in on top of that,” Jones said. “No one is making excuses, but we have had some real challenges in the injury category. If you look at his track record and his pedigree, he’s consistently won year in and year out. We have the utmost confidence that this ship is going to be righted quickly, and Mike is going to be the leader of this group. He’s certainly a great head coach and I think we’re going to see that going forward. He’s a great head coach in this league, he’s accomplished a lot, and he’s going to accomplish a lot more before it’s all said and done.”

Do we like this? An extra AFC game, which will most likely be against the No. 1 from another division in addition to the 4-team division we're already playing. So, assuming this goes into effect next season, in addition playing the entire AFC North, the Packers will likely play the Bills, Chiefs or Titans/Colts as well... 

8 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Do we like this? An extra AFC game, which will most likely be against the No. 1 from another division in addition to the 4-team division we're already playing. So, assuming this goes into effect next season, in addition playing the entire AFC North, the Packers will likely play the Bills, Chiefs or Titans/Colts as well... 

I don’t like it... it should be conference based. Heck if they are doing that... just get rid of preseason. Have them play all the afc 1st place teams... so GB would play Bills, Chiefs and Titans/Colts next year on top of the AFC North.

Then make all the 4 starting games of the season inter conference so they are less meaningful (ala preseason)

The weird extra inter conference game just seems weird...