NFL News & Notes

Leader

28 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

why are you assuming alex didn't mean "receiving back" by "RB"?!?!?

if/when CMC becomes a top level slot WR, is paying him $12-14M per year a bad thing?  especially when he can pull reps as a high level RB both on inside and outside runs

38 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Christian Mccaffrey is not a running back. Don't care what his position says, a guy who catches 223 balls for 2000 yards and 10 TDs in a 2 year span is not just a running back for the offense he's in.

Sure he is, he's a Running Back in a scheme that's obsessed with checkdowns. 

223 targets for 7 yards per target is ******* gross. 

12 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

What's the completion percentage on his targets??? I'd imagine quite high. Is 7 YPC not elite? 

It's 7 yards per target, not yards per catch. That's 93rd in the league. 

It's one thing to burn 70 targets on 7.0 YPC with Aaron Jones, It's another thing to burn 150.

I want to agree with @AlexGreen#20 on this one, but think you're going a little too hard on him and not sure I can get there.  I agree that an offense focused that much on McCaffrey probably isn't the most effective NFL offense, but he does produce at a pretty significant level.  7 yard/target isn't super great, but 8.4 yard/catch with an 84% catch rate is a really solid way to chunk down the field, evidenced by 99 first downs receiving over those 223 catches.  The thing that's super weird to me is he has 7 rushes of 40+ yards between 2018 and 2019, but 0 40+ yard receptions.  I realize that's the checkdown effect, but surprises me it's that stark.

I dunno.  I can see it both ways I guess.  No chance I pay McCaffrey if I'm building a team, but I can see why you would.

6 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I respectfully disagree.  That kid can only throw when his running sets it up.  It's like watching a high school team run a read option for 3 quarters and then run a play action off of it.  It leads to wide open guys and you do not need to make a good throw to get it done.

That's the offense built for him.  If you ask him to sit in the pocket, read a defense, and make a throw, you are going to lose.  He doesn't have that skillset.  Mainly I'm talking about arm mechanics and accuracy.  Maybe he can read a defense.  But I know his throwing mechanics are flat out terrible.

I think his OC has built a great offense for him to thrive in.  

I have a hard time thinking of a Greg Roman run offense that had success when the QB was asked to sit in the pocket and make good decisions. What they’re asking Jackson to do right now is like they think they have Michael Vick, when they actually have a Kirk Cousins who is one of the best runners in the league. 

This is going to be impossible to prove and I’m willing to take the L right now, but if you put Jackson in an offense like LaFleur’s or Stefanski’s, IMO he’s a perennial MVP.

49 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

It's 7 yards per target, not yards per catch. That's 93rd in the league. 

It's one thing to burn 70 targets on 7.0 YPC with Aaron Jones, It's another thing to burn 150.

I'm not saying per catch. I'm saying per carry. If the "dumpoff" targets are high percentage, it's an extension of your run game. I can't imagine Kamara's numbers are a whole lot better, but if I had them on my team I'd be force feeding them the football too.

The way Carolina's offense is built is scary if they get a QB. DJ Moore, Robby Anderson are both elite vertically. Samuel and McCaffrey are elite with the ball in their hands and they have an OC who's system is pretty adapt as getting them open.

You don't pay RBs, I'd argue calling Mccaffrey and Kamara RBs is pencilling them into a position they play by name only. Zeke, Cook, Henry, those are RBs.

52 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I'm not sure I'd characterize all of Jones targets in the passing game as wasted.

Relative to the other options, they are.

Relative to run plays, they're not at all. 

Jones is fine as a checkdown option. So if McCaffrey, but at 150 targets, it stops being a checkdown.

11 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Relative to the other options, they are.

Relative to run plays, they're not at all. 

Jones is fine as a checkdown option. So if McCaffrey, but at 150 targets, it stops being a checkdown.

The panthers are weak at other positions though they overused McCaffrey i think. Unlike GB and event he Saint's who can put some other guys out there so as to not abuse their stars. Kamara is a fine example of that he doesn't run the ball 25 times a game now do they throw it to him that much.

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm not saying per catch. I'm saying per carry. If the "dumpoff" targets are high percentage, it's an extension of your run game. I can't imagine Kamara's numbers are a whole lot better, but if I had them on my team I'd be force feeding them the football too.

The way Carolina's offense is built is scary if they get a QB. DJ Moore, Robby Anderson are both elite vertically. Samuel and McCaffrey are elite with the ball in their hands and they have an OC who's system is pretty adapt as getting them open.

You don't pay RBs, I'd argue calling Mccaffrey and Kamara RBs is pencilling them into a position they play by name only. Zeke, Cook, Henry, those are RBs.

Jones falls into which category?

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Jones is good enough in the pass game that I'd cap at 9 per, he's not McCaffrey or Kamara. I'm sure Jones could get 12-13 on the market though so he'd find 9 insulting. I'm prepared for him to leave, as he should unless he takes under market.

Just wishful thinking but just maybe he likes it in Green Bay, wants to win, looking for a ring and be willing to give a hometown discount.  Doubtful but a guy can still hope.