NFL News & Notes

Leader

Just now, packfanfb said:

King wasn't the best option at the time. Look again.

Because you say so? I said given many factors. The packers clearly felt he was... that’s why they signed him.

I get that familiarity with the locker room, the team, the area, etc isn’t sexy when making these types of choices for internet Gms. But clearly GB has a method and it’s rare when they go outside the building... and when they do it’s typically not a huge financial risk to them (ie see our new inside linebacker).

38 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Resigning Kevin King might come to be one of Gute's worst moves in his career. You basically gave $5m guaranteed to a lousy CB in a year where you supposedly were going all in but are tight with cap dollars. 

King has a 2m cap hit this year not 5m. The other 3m is dead money next year. 

He wasn't a great signing but if you forget about 2022 (which is probably for the best as Gutey seems to have not worried about it too much) then King has a very low cap hit for a starting CB this year for a team going all-in made complete sense even if just as a depth signing.

1 minute ago, deltarich87 said:

What factors may I ask? There were other FA CB's they could have signed to comparable 1yr deals. Guys with better resumes. Hell, Casey Hayward signed for less this offseason

I don’t know all the factors but clearly the team felt King was the best option... I mean why sign him then?

Does everyone think this front office doesn’t check who the feee agents are and at least do some write ups and some homework? Or do they truly think they are dumb and just do things to do things?

He was the best option for GB in the eyes of the GB’s front office. Is that better framing for everyone? I thought that was clear. I’m not saying he truly was. I’m saying he was for them in their eyes.

People complaining about we lost out on Gilmore because of King is stupid because based on their own logic that money would of gone somewhere else anyways. As a contending team the cap situation was always going to be crazy limited.

People just want to hate on King because they blame 2 things on him: 1. Not having TJ watt and 2. Losing to TB in the championship round last year. 

5 minutes ago, Green19 said:

I don’t know all the factors but clearly the team felt King was the best option... I mean why sign him then?

Does everyone think this front office doesn’t check who the feee agents are and at least do some write ups and some homework? Or do they truly think they are dumb and just do things to do things?

He was the best option for GB in the eyes of the GB’s front office. Is that better framing for everyone? I thought that was clear. I’m not saying he truly was. I’m saying he was for them in their eyes.

People complaining about we lost out on Gilmore because of King is stupid because based on their own logic that money would of gone somewhere else anyways. As a contending team the cap situation was always going to be crazy limited.

People just want to hate on King because they blame 2 things on him: 1. Not having TJ watt and 2. Losing to TB in the championship round last year. 

No argument here and don't even think people on here are saying this. That's moreso Packers twitter for fans to freak out over and it's an easy and wrong narrative to latch onto. I was just pointing out they did have better options at the time in FA IMO

1 minute ago, deltarich87 said:

No argument here and don't even think people on here are saying this. That's moreso Packers twitter for fans to freak out over and it's an easy and wrong narrative to latch onto. I was just pointing out they did have better options at the time in FA IMO

I agree, Casey Hayward is a clear example to point to, because he has packer roots. But everyone forgets that everyone didn’t know how Barry was going to run this scheme. So there was a lot of well maybe if we are going to run this type of cover more going on too.

My point is hindsight is 20/20. Honestly given the cap their solution GB’s thinking seemed to be stick with a guy we know (his good and his bad), hope a smarter DC will minimize him being put in bad spots, draft a guy, and hope the draft pick over takes him on the roster.

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Resigning Kevin King might come to be one of Gute's worst moves in his career. You basically gave $5m guaranteed to a lousy CB in a year where you supposedly were going all in but are tight with cap dollars. 

Stephone Gilmour is not going to play for that contract in Carolina, just like he wouldn't in NE. Also, I'm not defending the Kevin King signing, but that will not be the amount of money Gilmour is going to cost Carolina this year. 

5 hours ago, Green19 said:

Absolutely and don't forget he's only played in about 1/2 of the games the past couple years.  Availability is huge and combined with Watt, losing to TB and being hurt .. justifiable to wonder why sign him.

Andrew Beaton -   At the crescendo of the 2011 NFL lockout, Jon Gruden sent an email that used a racist trope to describe NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith. "Dumboriss Smith has lips the size of michellin tires.” 

• Tom Pelissero -   Statement from the NFL: "The email from Jon Gruden denigrating DeMaurice Smith is appalling, abhorrent and wholly contrary to the NFL’s values. We condemn the statement and regret any harm that its publication may inflict on Mr. Smith or anyone else."
  • DeMaurice Smith -   “This is not the first racist comment that I’ve heard and it probably will not be the last. This is a thick skin job for someone with dark skin."
  • Andrew Beaton  -    Gruden, who apologized, said he was upset with how Smith was handling the CBA talks at the time. "I used a horrible way of explaining it," Gruden told WSJ.

Edited by Leader