If Foles wins SB, how will this effect Wentz reputation

patriotsheatyan

The offense Nick and Carson played in this season are so different it is insane. The credit goes to Doug for managing to draw up to different styles that his QBs can run successfully.

That said, what Wentz did this season was still special. It wasn't just the plays he was making in the system, it was the broken plays where he made something out of nothing that were the most incredible ones. Is it a knock on Wentz that Doug is just that good of a coach? I don't think so. I just hope we can maintain the talent level on this team for the next few years and make this more than a one year thing, cause Doug has shown he can get us to the dance with talent. 

It doesn’t do anything to effect his reputation yet. He’s clearly the more talented player than Foles, and all it would mean is that the Eagles are a great team (which most of us doubted, but should have known).

However, it WILL put a lot of pressure on Wentz to not only keep playing well, but to also produce in the post-season. If the Eagles make the playoffs the next couple years (which they should) and Wentz underperforms, Philly fans will be far more unforgiving, having seen Foles deliver them a championship.

15 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I personally think it says more about Foles. 352 and 3 tds in a title game is no joke.

Me too. Just because Foles played out of his mind, doesn’t take away from Wentz. It’s not like Foles stepped in right away and didn’t miss a step from what Wentz was doing, the NFCCG from Foles was by far his best performance since 2013. 

Clearly Wentz will be considered nothing more than a system quarterback :P

Okay, no, not really. 

I don't think that it overly  affects Wentz all that much. Pederson's ability as a head coach? I think that improves. What people think of Foles and the possibility of him getting another crack at a starting job somewhere and maybe even a Mike Glennon-esque payday? That I could see as well. So I think it helps the latter two guys, don't think that it affects the perception of Wentz all that much to be honest. 

I think those under the opinion that Wentz was the only thing that made the Eagles offense work have to accept that it isn't entirely true. It looks like he wasn't doing well in spite of coaching like some previously mentioned. What it says about how Wentz performed in the offense? Very little. Mostly just shows he wasn't a one man team.

I don't think it changes the reputation of Wentz at all. 

In my opinion, Foles is a pretty good QB (particularly after he finds his groove). He got stuck mis-cast in Chip Kelly's offense and then got stuck with Jeff Fisher and then behind Alex Smith (who, too, imo, is very underrated). 

I'd say if Foles wins (or even at just a lesser extent if they lose, but he plays well), it just validates his position as a starting caliber QB. Classic case of a guy just needing the opportunity. I don't think it reflects on Wentz, mostly because it isn't like we've never seen Foles look 1/2 decent before. We're just seeing it again after some hibernation. 

20 minutes ago, Non-Issue said:

I dont think it affects Wentz's reputation at all to knowledgeable football that grasp the nuances of the game and dont have an anti Wentz agenda.

But boy, will it change Fole's reputation!

On the latter point, I'm honestly not sure that it will.  Even if the Eagles win the SB and he plays a good game, I don't see him as much more than a really solid backup QB. I think his body of work and overall lack of consistency aren't going to be overcome by a good 2 game stretch. 

Archived