TCMD Discussion!!

EaglesPeteC

Just now, Desperado82 said:

"War Room" aka the drunk dudes at the bar 

Random folks in the bathroom.

EaglesPeteC:   "Hey, I am the TCMD GM of the Eagles.  I traded back to pick 35, who should I take"

Bathroom dude #1:  "We need another RB threat to make the defense play honest, can you trade up for Barkley"

Bathroom dude #2:  "You dumbass, Charles Barkley played BB".

Bathroom dude #1:  "You are right, how about PSU TE Gminski"

Bathroom dude #2:   "You are such an idiot...Mike Gminski played BB for the 76ers like 30 years ago.  He is talking football here"

EaglesPeteC:   "Need I remind you gentlemen that the Eagles won the Super Bowl"  

ALL:  

Fly Eagles Fly

On the road to victory

Fight, Fight, Fight

Fight Eagles Fight

23 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Alrighty, here's my Mel McShayock impression:

1 Cleveland Browns - Sam Darnold, QB, USC - This is the pick the Browns had to make. My parents weren't even married the last time the Browns had anything resembling a franchise QB. Darnold isn't a perfect prospect, but there's a lot to like with him. He's the type of kid who could finally bring the Browns back. At minimum, at least he wasn't the #22 pick.
2 New York Jets - Josh Rosen, Quarterback, UCLA - Interesting decision by the Jets to trade up here. Bates worked with Cutler, and there are certainly some similarities between Cutler and Rosen. Bates was one of the few guys who actually seemed to get through to Cutler. This could work out well for the Jets, but I might be a little leery of all the distractions in New York based on the rumors about Rosen. That all said, the Jets needed to go after their guy at QB, and Rosen has all the traits to be a franchise QB for them. It's worth the risk.
3 New York Giants - Quenton Nelson, OG, ND - The Giants almost had to make this pick. It seems like Mike might be whipping that OL into functional shape. I won't call Nelson the safest pick in the Draft because that's a curse guaranteed to sink his career, but if I weren't a superstitious man, I'd call him the safest pick in the Draft. He's got it all as a guard and is such a good athlete that I have actually wondered if he can play LT. He could be a Steve Hutchinson in the middle of that OL. With Brett Jones and Richburg (?) back, the Giants might just have themselves a great interior.
4 Cleveland Browns - Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State - There's not much you can say about this pick that isn't evident on its face. The Browns managing to land their QB at #1 and Barkley at #4 is huge. Barkley will take pressure off Darnold, looks like the next LT, and could give Believeland exactly the medicine it needs to fix all those years of losing. LeBron? Psssssh. Who needs him when you have Saquon?
5 Oakland Raiders - Bradley Chubb, DE, NC State - The Raiders come away with a guy who fills a huge need here in Chubb. Khalil Mack is a stud, but the Raiders haven't had anyone to help him. Chubb on the other side gives them a legitimate run defender who can get after the passer. The Raiders' edge combo is now quite scary. They just have to figure out the rest of that defense.
6 Pittsburgh Steelers - Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma - Ballsy move, but I like it. You never know when you will have a shot at your next franchise QB. The Steelers are embracing the Packers' approach of planning ahead. I could understand going all in on trying to win your next Super Bowl before Ben is done, but it's smart to plan for the future. I really like Baker, and I think he'll thrive in Pittsburgh.
7 Miami Dolphins - Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia - This feels a bit early for Roquan, but he's a safe pick. The kid will fly to the football and make plays for you. He's undersized and won't ever be a great block shedder, but he'll make plays sideline to sideline, cover almost anyone well, and bring it on every single down. 
8 Indianapolis Colts - Derwin James, S, FSU - I understand the pick, but I don't love it. I actually am a big fan of Derwin James, but I think he'd be killer in the NFL as a FS. Indy will be pairing him with Hooker. That's smart because James's ability to tackle in space and stop the run will cover up some of Hooker's deficiencies, but man, I'd have really loved to see James playing more of the FS role in the NFL. The Colts will be happy with their pick, but it makes Mel McShayock sad.
9 Dallas Cowboys - Tremaine Edmunds, LB, Virginia Tech - BRILLIANT! Enough said.
10 San Francisco 49ers - Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB, Alabama - I'd have to know more about this pick. I'm assuming SF plans for him to play CB. I like Minkah a lot, but I'm not sure if he's a top 10 pick as a pure CB. I feel like he'd really stand out as a jack of all trades player in the secondary (like a super rich man's version of Kenny Vacarro), but I'm not so sure about him at CB in the Seattle scheme. I kind of feel like the 49ers could get better value at CB later. But maybe I'm misunderstanding what their plan for Minkah is. FWIW, I love Minkah, and I think he'll be a player. I just am wondering where he fits.
11 Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Marcus Davenport, Edge, UTSA - This is a necessary move. Davenport has a very high ceiling, and the Bucs badly need some pass rush help. However, it likely won't end up benefiting the current regime. Although, as I recall, the Bucs GM said he's preparing as if there was a new regime. Davenport has a lot of upside, but might be a year or two from contributing in a major way.
12 Cincinnati Bengals - Vita Vea, DT, Washington - Vea + Atkins? Bruuuuuh. That's unfair. Lord have mercy on the interior OLs of the AFC North.
13 New Orleans Saints - Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming - There's something with Allen that seems off to me. I applaud the Saints for looking towards the future, and they give Allen about the best chance he could have with him sitting behind Brees, but I'm not loving it. I don't think he's a great fit in Payton's WCO. But maybe Payton can work his magic on Allen and fix his accuracy issues.
14 Green Bay Packers - Harold Landry, OLB, Boston College - I love Harold Landry, and I think this is a great pick. Landry has incredible upside as an edge rusher in a 3-4. His get-off and bend are phenomenal. His 2016 film is better than his 2017 film because he shows a deeper toolset as a pass rusher. If he continues to develop his secondary and counter moves and his speed-to-power rush, he could be lethal. He's not going to be a force against the run, though.
15 Arizona Cardinals - Calvin Ridley, WR, Bama - It's weird how things go. A few years ago, the Cardinals had one of the best WR corps in the NFL. Now, they're looking to retool. Ridley is a great guy to pair with Fitz, and he should be ready to play right off the bat.

16 Baltimore Ravens Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio State - I see you, Ravens. Game recognizes game. You gonna share any CBs, or you just going to hoard them all?

giphy.gif

17 Los Angeles Chargers - Da'Ron Payne, DL, Alabama - I'm a little upset that BDP didn't draft Da'Ron. I had a great pun planned. But yea, the Chargers DL just got more stacked. He's a great fit because he can play both the 1T and 3T roles in their scheme. They needed a lot of help with their run defense, and Payne will certainly provide that. 
18 Buffalo Bills - Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville - I like it, Bills. This is smart. I don't get the L-Jax hate. Let the kid play his game, and he'll be weapon. He can be a rich man's version of what the Bills thought they had in Tyrod a few years ago. Injuries are always a concern, but if he stays healthy, the Bills might just have their guy.
19 Denver Broncos - Leighton Vander Esch, ILB, Boise State - LVE is one of my favorite players in this Draft. He's only a one-year starter, but he's an incredible athlete for his size (well, for any LB-sized man) with great production. He has the potential to be a LB who can do everything. I see Brian Urlacher when I watch him. 
20 Cleveland Browns - Mike McGlinchey OT Notre Dame - This is a smart move. McGlinchey can step in immediately at RT and gives Cleveland an heir apparent for Joe Thomas when he retires. McGlinchey is a mountain of a man with good overall athleticism. He seems like he'll be a solid LT.
21 Buffalo Bills - Josh Jackson CB Iowa - Be still my beating heart! I love what the Bills are doing. Jackson is walking into the perfect situation for his skill-set with McDermott's zone-heavy scheme. Tre'Davious White and Josh Jackson should make a heck of a CB combo in Buffalo. Take notes, kiddos, this is how you both draft for value and for scheme.
22 Seattle Seahawks - Derrius Guice HB LSU - Seahawks badly need a running game, so I can't blame them for taking a HB here, but it feels like a bit of a reach. I don't know if Guice has a strong enough all-around game to be a first round pick. But I understand the move.
23 Denver Broncos - Will Hernandez OG UTEP - This move makes a lot of sense. Denver has two quality interior OLs in Paradis and Leary. They might as well finish the group with a talent like Hernandez. Smart move.
24 Carolina Panthers - Mike Hughes CB UCF - I love Mike Hughes, and you know I love you, BDP, but I don't like this pick unless your defensive scheme is changing. Hughes is a talented playmaker for sure, but the strongest part of his skill-set at this point is press man coverage. Y'all have typically run a lot of zone coverage. If you're going to run a lot of press man this year, I'll change my opinion because I love Hughes for a press man team.
25 Tennessee Titans - Carlton Davis CB Auburn - Davis has size and ability, but watching him last year left a bad taste in my mouth. I should give him another shot as players grow from year to year, but man, he was unimpressive in 2016.
26 Indianapolis Colts - Rashaan Evans ILB Alabama - Counselor, you know I love ya, bro (well, except on Saturdays during CFB season), but I feel like you would have gotten better value going ILB earlier and waiting to address the SS spot until here or a later time. Evans is a talented kid, though.
27 Washington Redskins - Courtland Sutton WR SMU - I can dig it. Gotta help Alex out, but will he give Courtland a chance to do what he does best?
28 Chicago Bears - Connor Williams OT Texas - Williams is going to have a hell of a coach to work on his game, but I don't love the pick.
29 New York Giants - Sony Michel HB Georgia - It's a ballsy move, Mike, but I like it. Michel has the sort of all-around game that could sneak him into the latter part of Round 1. He's a great fit for Shurmur's WCO, and offers the Giants much needed talent out of the back-field. With a better OL and Michel, the Giants might just have a functional offense in 2018.
30 Dallas Cowboys - Isaiah Wynn OG Georgia - Wynn should be a very good player in Dallas and return that OL to its glory days of 2016. However, I can't help wondering if the trade up was necessary here.
31 Kansas City Chiefs - D.J. Moore WR Maryland - It makes a lot of sense to get a playmaker with Moore's explosiveness and game to help Mahomes out. It's smart adding a speedy and dynamic WR to join Hill. Mahomes's ability to make plays on the run should make this offense fun to watch!
32 Kansas City Chiefs - Anthony Miller WR Memphis - Erm, okay? This is a weird one after your drafting of Moore at pick #31.

13 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

29 New York Giants - Sony Michel HB Georgia - It's a ballsy move, Mike, but I like it. Michel has the sort of all-around game that could sneak him into the latter part of Round 1. He's a great fit for Shurmur's WCO, and offers the Giants much needed talent out of the back-field. With a better OL and Michel, the Giants might just have a functional offense in 2018.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

The more tape I watched of him the better I liked the idea of him in Blue.

36 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

31 Kansas City Chiefs - D.J. Moore WR Maryland - It makes a lot of sense to get a playmaker with Moore's explosiveness and game to help Mahomes out. It's smart adding a speedy and dynamic WR to join Hill. Mahomes's ability to make plays on the run should make this offense fun to watch!
32 Kansas City Chiefs - Anthony Miller WR Memphis - Erm, okay? This is a weird one after your drafting of Moore at pick #31.

I expected some hate for going back to back on them.  Honestly didn’t need to trade up for Miller, but I gained a pick out of it.

Was more looking towards next year anyways.  Liked the thought of Hill, Moore, Miller and Kelce all playing starters snaps next year in a variety of roles next year.  OL was already set for a couple years.  Next offseason we could really shift focus to the D when we have more flexibility in cap space 

Archived