Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

4 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Do we even know if Kaepernick is physically or mentally capable of playing at this point? He's been out of the league for awhile now, does he even have a desire to return?  How much do we actually hear from him and his desire to play. This is ultimately why I think he's out of the NFL. Not sure he has the passion for it. Kind of a problem if you're a QB. There are still many kneelers employed by teams. Why is it different for Kaep? Probably because he's a lousy QB who may not have the proper mindset to be a backup.

And if he's out there in the media beating the drum for a job, people would say "look at him, me, me, me".  By all accounts, he's been working out and is in shape. He's filed a collusion grievance about his unemployment, for crying out loud. If he didn't want to play, pretty sure he'd just let that slide. 

The NFL trade deadline came and went Tuesday afternoon, with the Vikings deciding to stand pat with their current roster. Spielman said he fielded calls but didn’t want to part ways with various key pieces on the team. 

Spielman: “There’s a lot of talk. Nothing that really developed much from our end. We’re very excited about a lot of the young guys. Some of the teams that called, a lot of them were aimed at our younger players, and I’m not a big fan of giving up any of our younger players.”

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/NOTEBOOK-Summer-Contract-Extensions-Paying-Off-for-Vikings-Defense/7e8b34a0-0383-4404-9a85-de8845e62f7a?sf136321248=1

14 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Brock Osweiler is going to start again for Denver. Cleveland failed to get McCarron and will still start one of their horrid QB's. Indy tried out 4 terrible QBs. Yet Kaepernick still hasn't had a tryout. Yup. 

Well, he did have a tryout in Seattle several months ago.  ;)

Unfortunately, he's getting shut out because of the chaos that would surround him by him signing.  It'd be similar to Favre-watch, but without the likeability factor.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

Certainly you are aware of the baggage that Kaep brings with him. I am not at all surprised that nobody signed him. I wouldn't sign him either. What you say and do matters.

He has the baggage, but most of the baggage at this point isn't his fault or anything he's said, because he hasn't really said anything period or anything controversial in a year.  It's all perception without any substance behind it created by others...most namely, our "leader."  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Mike Vick killed dogs and someone signed him despite his perceived "baggage" because they thought he could help them win games. Which is the goal. Kaepernick would give Indy, Cleveland, Arizona, and Denver a better chance to win games. But yes, what he did is far worse than killing dogs and domestic violence. 

Vick's talent was light years ahead of anything Kaepernick can do.

26 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Vick's talent was light years ahead of anything Kaepernick can do.

I wouldn't say light years, but at that point in his career he was better. Regardless, I think Kaepernick probably would provide an upgrade or at least a change of pace for several of the teams mentioned. Either way, it wouldn't really hurt to give him a shot on a one year deal to see if he can help those teams that are struggling.

You can't compare Colin Kapernick's situation to Michael Vick's situation. First of all, Vick didn't do anything all that bad. He killed a few dogs. Who amongst us hasn't killed several animals? Colin Kaepernick, on the other hand disrespected an entire country. He disrespected me. He disrespected all of us and continued his obscene gestures for as long as he was able. To start with, Vick's indiscretion was comparatively minor.

Further, Vick went to jail. He paid his consequence. Many people are in favor of a good redemption story after a person mans up, takes his medicine, and minimally says the right things. See Josh Gordon. We all hope he has turned his life around and would like the warm fuzzy story of him being a shining example of how that is possible while also helping the youths understand the pitfalls. Also, see Cris Carter.

Kaep, on the other hand didn't go to jail.  He has expressed no regret. He doesn't appear to feel the least bit bad about what he did. There are no second chances for mediocre at best athletes that are not willing to adhere to common decencies and  have no regret about their mistakes. Actually, that isn't limited to athletes. 

Colin Kaepernick has been a major instigator of unrest throughout the league and extending beyond the league. He hasn't turned away from his mistakes. He hasn't condemned the behavior that he exhibited. Mr Vick did. I know it would only take one of thirty-two but it is hard to believe even one would be foolish enough to sign the lightning rod that is Colin Kaepernick.

If Kaep wants back into the NFL he needs to start strongly denouncing open disrespect for the flag as an effective tool to dissent. He needs to admit he screwed up and beg for forgiveness. Colin Kaepernick will not do these things because he still thinks that he is righteous.  That's fine. We can't stop stupid from being stupid nor would I try. However, nobody should whine about him not being in the NFL. He doesn't deserve to be in the NFL right now.

Colin Kaepernick brought this all upon himself. I don't feel the least bit sorry for him. He can be a shining example of how not to behave if you want to be a professional anything. Perhaps that is is most effective use and the effectiveness is stronger the longer he goes clinging to his misguided actions and losing out on what could have been.

I hope this helps you understand the differences between Kaepernick's situation and Vick's situation. Vick had professional PR people guide him and make sure he made the correct steps to at least publicly show contrition. Kaep could too but he simply doesn't want to. He still thinks that we all should be okay with his behavior. The public at large has news for him: We are not okay with it and we do not want to support a league or team that supports that type of behavior.

2 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

You can't compare Colin Kapernick's situation to Michael Vick's situation. First of all, Vick didn't do anything all that bad. He killed a few dogs. Who amongst us hasn't killed several animals?

You might be a sociopath. He tortured animals.

I hunt and fish as a means of "killing animals", you can't compare that to the torture of another animal. what Vick did was absolutely disgusting.

ive rescued/fostered Pit Bulls for years now, spend some time with an animal that has been neglected and abused and you will see exactly why his behavior was appalling.

2 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

You might be a sociopath. He tortured animals.

I hunt and fish as a means of "killing animals", you can't compare that to the torture of another animal. what Vick did was absolutely disgusting.

ive rescued/fostered Pit Bulls for years now, spend some time with an animal that has been neglected and abused and you will see exactly why his behavior was appalling.

11 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

You can't compare Colin Kapernick's situation to Michael Vick's situation. First of all, Vick didn't do anything all that bad. He killed a few dogs. Who amongst us hasn't killed several animals? Colin Kaepernick, on the other hand disrespected an entire country. He disrespected me. He disrespected all of us and continued his obscene gestures for as long as he was able. To start with, Vick's indiscretion was comparatively minor.

If Kaep wants back into the NFL he needs to start strongly denouncing open disrespect for the flag as an effective tool to dissent. He needs to admit he screwed up and beg for forgiveness. Colin Kaepernick will not do these things because he still thinks that he is righteous.  That's fine. We can't stop stupid from being stupid nor would I try. However, nobody should whine about him not being in the NFL. He doesn't deserve to be in the NFL right now.

This is just my opinion...I don't want to speak for anyone else...yet, I think there is a huge difference between torturing and killing animals that won't perform well enough in illegal dog fights, and someone who uses his platform to try and enact some sort of social awareness and change.  Dog fighting is illegal in all 50 states.  Not standing for the National Anthem is NOT illegal anywhere in the United States.  I think it's evident that you disagree with Kaepernick and what he is done.  That's your right and millions of people agree with you.  However, there are millions of people who disagree with you as well...including some police officers and some highly decorated military veterans.  This controversy is not going away anytime soon...however, it is important to see that Vick's situation (illegal) is not the same as Kaepernicks (not illegal).  In fact, Kaepernicks actions are protected in the US Constitution.  Vick broke the law. 

24 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

oh my gawd, i stopped reading here.

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

The constitution doesn't apply in this case since we are dealing with a private organization. The NFL has every right to punish "speech" as they please. They are choosing not to which is obviously alienating fans.

I know.  However, he is not going to go to jail over it.  Which was my insinuated point.