Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

24 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I wonder if there’s any chance that they could re-sign Smith to a 1 year deal? With Hockenson inline, Smith would present some intriguing matchup issues. 

He’s most likely going to have to sign a “prove it” deal wherever he lands in free agency. Why not here?

With the shape the defense is in, finding a deal for Hockenson and Smith may be a challenge. Plus we’ve got to make sure Jefferson gets taken care of. Seems we run so many 3 WR sets, don’t think Smith really fits that outside of being a big slot receiver. But I’d rather just have Osborn or Thielen in the slot. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I wonder if there’s any chance that they could re-sign Smith to a 1 year deal? With Hockenson inline, Smith would present some intriguing matchup issues. 

He’s most likely going to have to sign a “prove it” deal wherever he lands in free agency. Why not here?

Irv will get overpaid because he’s 24 and presents with intriguing physical talent. There’s not a whole lot out their on the free agent market. Someone will roll the dice on him. 

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

With the shape the defense is in, finding a deal for Hockenson and Smith may be a challenge. Plus we’ve got to make sure Jefferson gets taken care of. Seems we run so many 3 WR sets, don’t think Smith really fits that outside of being a big slot receiver. But I’d rather just have Osborn or Thielen in the slot. 

Paying Hock and Jefferson isn’t going to impact 2023’s cap by much. A new contract might even lower Hock’s cap hit. They will get their long term deals, and the big cap hits are going to be beyond 2023. That’s not a concern. 

As for what formations they use? That can always change. And given Smith’s athleticism, he could be utilized quite often as a wide receiver. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I wouldn't want to count on Theilen playing a starting role (slot receiver) beyond this year. He hardly gets seperation this year as is. To pass up on Irv playing that role for Adam... eh.

Osborn is a legit #3/slot, though. To me, I'd look at who will cost more (Irv this offseason vs Osborn next) and make a decision from there. 

• Like 1

Irv Smith can be an above average TE when he is healthy, which hasn't been enough through his rookie contract.  He isn't the type of player I would invest heavily into keeping around when Hockenson is on the roster. Unless he'll sign a moderate contract, I think the team should let Smith Jr get to free agency.  Perhaps Smith would come back to the Vikings moderate offer if free agency doesn't result in the kind of offer he is hoping for.

Certainly not a player to invest heavily into IMO. Would love to keep him around, but if he can get paid more somewhere else more power to him.

• Like 2

On 12/15/2022 at 12:15 PM, swede700 said:

Updated 2023 opponents:

Home:  Chicago, Detroit, Green Bay, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, Kansas City, LA Chargers, San Francisco (most likely)

Road:  Chicago, Detroit, Green Bay, Atlanta, Carolina, Denver, Las Vegas, Philadelphia, Baltimore/Cincinnati (with Lamar's injury, lean towards Cincy)

Official now that the last one is the road trip to the Bengals, as expected.  

Depending upon when they are scheduled, my plan is to use my vacation time next year around my 50th birthday (in September) to make the trip to either Denver or Vegas, which would also include after the game going to Utah or the Grand Canyon.  

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

Depending upon when they are scheduled, my plan is to use my vacation time next year around my 50th birthday (in September) to make the trip to either Denver or Vegas, which would also include after the game going to Utah or the Grand Canyon.  

Definitely interested in those 2 road games myself.

I'll definitely be in Nashville for the Titans game in 2024!

15 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Definitely interested in those 2 road games myself.

I'll definitely be in Nashville for the Titans game in 2024!

Eventually I'd like to get to Soldier Field before they shut it down, but that's also always a hard ticket to get.  As long as I work my current job, I'll be in Chicago at least twice a year (one of the times in November), so hopefully, it'll align one time to get in one of the games...if they'd quit scheduling Week 18 vs. the Bears.  

Otherwise, it may be awhile before I catch another Vikings' road game, as the only one guaranteed would be the Chiefs' game here at Arrowhead in 2027.  

Edited by swede700

4 hours ago, swede700 said:

Eventually I'd like to get to Soldier Field before they shut it down, but that's also always a hard ticket to get.  As long as I work my current job, I'll be in Chicago at least twice a year (one of the times in November), so hopefully, it'll align one time to get in one of the games...if they'd quit scheduling Week 18 vs. the Bears.  

Don't bother - it's a dump.

Just now, swede700 said:

I was pretty sure it was, but so was the Metrodome, and I managed to go there many times in my childhood.  

The whole experience sucks. getting in and out of the city, the parking garage, the tiny outdated stadium, the amenities. It's not a fun place to see a football game. 

The city just proposed a $2.2B renovation as a hail mary to keep them from moving to the burbs and it'll still kinda stink: