Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

Just now, CriminalMind said:

I dont necessarily agree.

If Cook is a star player (and paid as such), he should be able to produce regardless of the absences from Darrisaw and Bradbury. If he 'struggles' when those pieces are not available, he really is not in that 'star' category IMO, and I argue we could get better value ($/play) from others on the roster.

I think you are conflating things a bit. You can certainly get better value for production, but that's a product of contract. a rookie deal RB that does 80% of Cooks output on 30% of the salary is obviously better value. That player is still not the same caliber running back as Cook. Clearly he did produce - He finished 6th in rushing yards and 12th in TDS (which is mostly due to TD vultures like Elliot, and Hurts, as well as the Vikings passing more often in the low red zone)

Also - star players are definitely dependent on scheme and blocking, none moreso than RBs. 

Value =/= talent/ability

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I think you are conflating things a bit. You can certainly get better value for production, but that's a product of contract. a rookie deal RB that does 80% of Cooks output on 30% of the salary is obviously better value. That player is still not the same caliber running back as Cook. Clearly he did produce - He finished 6th in rushing yards and 12th in TDS (which is mostly due to TD vultures like Elliot, and Hurts, as well as the Vikings passing more often in the low red zone)

Also - star players are definitely dependent on scheme and blocking, none moreso than RBs. 

Value =/= talent/ability

The Value equation here is about maximizing resourcing in a cap space environment. Its not about raw talent/ability, its about what is the additional next benefit that could be extracted by injecting more cash flow into another positional group, if a lower salary player can get a significant part of the raw stats Cook currently puts up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CriminalMind said:

The Value equation here is about maximizing resourcing in a cap space environment. Its not about raw talent/ability, its about what is the additional next benefit that could be extracted by injecting more cash flow into another positional group, if a lower salary player can get a significant part of the raw stats Cook currently puts up.

I understand that. You were suggesting that he isn't a star or doesn't have that ability because of his contract value. Those are two different things.

I agree that he is not worth what he is being paid. especially in this offense. I disagree that he's not a star or one of the best RBs in the league.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

that was funnnnnn.

everyone list where they were at the moment of that play....

i was watching the game myself, laid back on a couch, waiting to fly to California the next day to check it out. ended up moving there.

I was high up behind the opposite end zone 

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

that was funnnnnn.

i was watching the game myself, laid back on a couch, waiting to fly to California the next day to check it out. ended up moving there.

I was at a bar and grill with a couple friends. Was waiting for my tab, which we had asked for several minutes before, assuming we'd lose. Then it happened. The bar went nuts, I flung my hat across the room, ordered shots for the table and celebrated for a while after!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

that was funnnnnn.

I was sitting exactly where I am now, miserable and disappointed… until I was jumping in the couch screaming like an idiot. I bounced off of the couch and bruised my hand when I pounded on the hall closet door. Total euphoria.

• Like 3