This Is Rival Talk v1.0

CWood21

3 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Unless they are absolutely sold that they found their guy, I wouldn't trade more than 11 and 24.  Dare the Giants, Titans, Falcons, and Jets to take a QB.  That leaves you with a very, very good OL or WR at 11.  I don't think that team is far off.  I would stay the course, take my QB if he is there, or eat it for one more season but have a team ready to unleash in 2025.

A team without a QB is going nowhere.  A very good OL and/or WR is worthless without somebody to throw them a ball or to protect.  Sam Darnold .. a 1 year rental at best.  Maybe they stay at 11 and take what's left at QB .. even better, stay with Darnold, wait a year and draft one then.  Either way, without a quality QB in place, that team won't be unleashing anything soon.

I think New England will trade out. That team has little talent right now. With a new HC and GM they will have a year to play with. Lil' Wolf doesn't want to burn a pick on QB and watch him get killed. Trading out will give them two #1s this year AND two #1s next year to build their roster.  Not sold on any of the QBs this year, Williams is too arrogant and the rest have warts. 

1 hour ago, Dubz41 said:

I think New England will trade out. That team has little talent right now. With a new HC and GM they will have a year to play with. Lil' Wolf doesn't want to burn a pick on QB and watch him get killed. Trading out will give them two #1s this year AND two #1s next year to build their roster.  Not sold on any of the QBs this year, Williams is too arrogant and the rest have warts. 

If NE likes a QB available at 3 they'd be dumb not to take him regardless of the the current situation. You draft a QB with 10-15 years in mind. Their best move (if they like a guy) is to take him and sit him. Like GB does.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

If NE likes a QB available at 3 they'd be dumb not to take him regardless of the the current situation. You draft a QB with 10-15 years in mind. Their best move (if they like a guy) is to take him and sit him. Like GB does.

Green Bay sits rookie QBs behind proven Pros. Just sitting guarantees nothing, who's he learning from? We're watching the 2021 QB draft crumble in front of ours eyes.  Dumb not to take him? Or dumb to pass up all the draft capital for a franchise in total rebuild?

You take one now and by the time you get a team around him you've lost the rookie contract advantage. 

Build the team, plug in the rookie and you've got a better shot at success.

25 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

Green Bay sits rookie QBs behind proven Pros. Just sitting guarantees nothing, who's he learning from? We're watching the 2021 QB draft crumble in front of ours eyes.  Dumb not to take him? Or dumb to pass up all the draft capital for a franchise in total rebuild?

You take one now and by the time you get a team around him you've lost the rookie contract advantage. 

It's the sitting and coaching and practice reps that matter far more than the QB they're behind 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

Building up the roster so the team ends up with a pick in the 10-15 range also means you have to mortgage a lot to get a QB at some point.  

If you like a QB and think he can be a franchise level QB, you take them and figure out the rest in later rounds and FA

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

The Packers would have started Love in his second year if he was ready.

80% of quarterbacks drafted in the top 64 will hit if given enough time on a good staff.

The rookie cap advantage is huge, but hitting on a QB is still, unfortunately, bigger.

Jordan Love just took more time than we wanted him to and we had to give Rodgers another BS deal.

1 hour ago, MacReady said:

Jordan Love just took more time than we wanted him to and we had to give Rodgers another BS deal.

I think there's credence to this thought....but, I also think the entire COVID thing set back any potential earlier development time tables for Love.

I think it's probably best to have these top QBs sit for at least one year - but they're often drafted into houses on fire situations that mandate going to the front lines before they're actually ready for the step up.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Leader said:

I think there's credence to this thought....but, I also think the entire COVID thing set back any potential earlier development time tables for Love.

I think it's probably best to have these top QBs sit for at least one year - but they're often drafted into houses on fire situations that mandate going to the front lines before they're actually ready for the step up.

I forgot the timing of that, but yep, stupid laughable Covid restrictions are to blame for that final stupid laughable Rodgers contract.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, MacReady said:

I forgot the timing of that, but yep, stupid laughable Covid restrictions are to blame for that final stupid laughable Rodgers contract.

Didnt say that. I said the COVID crunch slowed Love's development.

13 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

12 hours ago, incognito_man said:

It's the sitting and coaching and practice reps that matter far more than the QB they're behind 

Patriots signed Jacoby Brissett to be just that guy that starts while a rookie learns.  He's competent, and he's been a Patriot before.  It wasn't a huge signing, but it was the best one they could make to set them up to take a QB in this draft. 

16 hours ago, coachbuns said:

A team without a QB is going nowhere.  A very good OL and/or WR is worthless without somebody to throw them a ball or to protect.  Sam Darnold .. a 1 year rental at best.  Maybe they stay at 11 and take what's left at QB .. even better, stay with Darnold, wait a year and draft one then.  Either way, without a quality QB in place, that team won't be unleashing anything soon.

Correct.  They take their lumps this season and either hit FA or draft their QB for 2025.  They have a good DC, a good HC, and supreme talent at skill positions.  Build a better OL this season, probably lose more games than you should because of a poor QB, then you are set up to add that QB.  The whole scenario is just based on not giving up any more than pick 11 and 23 for a QB in this draft.  LIS, dare the Giants, Jets, Falcons, and Titans to draft a QB before you.  Or make the Broncos over pay to jump you.  There will be good players at 11 and 23 for the Vikings to pick.  

That is unless they are enamored with Maye or Daniels and either Washington or New England will trade back.  But if it is Nix, McCarthy, or Pennix, just hold tight and go to plan B if your guy doesn't fall. 

13 hours ago, squire12 said:

Building up the roster so the team ends up with a pick in the 10-15 range also means you have to mortgage a lot to get a QB at some point.  

If you like a QB and think he can be a franchise level QB, you take them and figure out the rest in later rounds and FA

That's my point.  No franchise QB at #3. Example: Drake Maye this year or Ewers next year + 3 #1 picks.

NE specifically will probably be in the top 10 next year, plus the 3 picks in the top 35 this year plus another #1 next year. 

Eliot Wolf will have NE up and competing sooner if they avoid the desperation pick this year.