This Is Rival Talk v1.0

CWood21

On 3/18/2024 at 5:51 PM, Dubz41 said:

I think New England will trade out. That team has little talent right now. With a new HC and GM they will have a year to play with. Lil' Wolf doesn't want to burn a pick on QB and watch him get killed. Trading out will give them two #1s this year AND two #1s next year to build their roster.  Not sold on any of the QBs this year, Williams is too arrogant and the rest have warts. 

Agreed. I doubt they trade Mac if he doesn't lose the lockerroom too. I don't think the OL is as bad as you think it is because only Henry and Stevenson are passable starters at the skill positions. I doubt we're talking about their OL if they had solid(but not spectacular) WR's like Nico Collins and Jaylen Waddle. Keep in mind Zappe is still on that team and can be viable so long as he's asked to manage the game and keep the offense competitive within the game scheme. 

On 3/18/2024 at 7:13 PM, incognito_man said:

If NE likes a QB available at 3 they'd be dumb not to take him regardless of the the current situation. You draft a QB with 10-15 years in mind. Their best move (if they like a guy) is to take him and sit him. Like GB does.

So Mac Jones, whatever happened there? I like the idea of sitting someone, but that pseudo long-term project QB isn't in this class unless you like Jordan Travis. 

Also, comparing our situation to that of New England's is apples-n-oranges. MLF showed up with a pretty well stacked cupboard and Gutey has done a pretty decent job adding to it since COVID. New England's going through a regime change in which Belichick SCREWED over that franchise with his drafts. I'd personally keep Bailey Zappe, sign a solid back-up and/or draft someone like Joe Milton who could probably play right away and take a beating if necessary.

On 3/16/2024 at 6:23 PM, Brat&Beer said:

What will the Vikings do if they want the #4 QB? Do they have to trade all the way up to 5 to get ahead of the Giants? Trade up to 7 (Titans) or 8 (Falcons)? Or stay at 11 and take their chances? 

I thought trading up to 23 was dumb move unless they want to replace Danielle with Travis Verse at 11 and then grab Penix or Nix at 23(neither will go top-20). 

Why is it dumb? They give away a 2nd round pick in next year's draft when they'll likely need a top-50 pick to shore up the WR room or Secondary, they've so far replaced Hunter with two rotational players, Hockenson is coming off a major injury, and their defense is a bunch of role players slapped together this offseason with no real playmaker. 

The only logic is that the trade is insurance in case a JJet trade doesn't go through. Houston had pick 23 just behind Cincy and Pittsburgh who are at picks 18 and 20 respectively. If either of those trades had gone through(not including Burrow) then MAYBE they don't need to trade up to 23 and that they are banking on Cousins' and Hunter's deals ensuring 3rd round comp. picks next year. I'm not so sure about that given the Van Ginkel and Greenard signings because, IIRC, those two signings would impact how the comp picks would be handed out.

On 3/20/2024 at 10:37 AM, packfanfb said:

Apparently, Sutton is accused of doing a little more than just biting off knee-caps for the Lions.

Huge loss for them. Their secondary was mediocre even with their recent pick ups and this pretty much puts it back into the same category as last year. 

• 2 weeks later...

Did not realize the Bears only have 4 draft picks. 2 - 1st, 3rd, 4th from Philly. 

Unless their one target at 9 is there, they should try and trade down and gain additional picks. Way too weak of a roster to only have 4 draft picks. 

On 3/19/2024 at 9:21 PM, Rosser80 said:

I thought trading up to 23 was dumb move unless they want to replace Danielle with Travis Verse at 11 and then grab Penix or Nix at 23(neither will go top-20). 

Why is it dumb? They give away a 2nd round pick in next year's draft when they'll likely need a top-50 pick to shore up the WR room or Secondary, they've so far replaced Hunter with two rotational players, Hockenson is coming off a major injury, and their defense is a bunch of role players slapped together this offseason with no real playmaker. 

The only logic is that the trade is insurance in case a JJet trade doesn't go through. Houston had pick 23 just behind Cincy and Pittsburgh who are at picks 18 and 20 respectively. If either of those trades had gone through(not including Burrow) then MAYBE they don't need to trade up to 23 and that they are banking on Cousins' and Hunter's deals ensuring 3rd round comp. picks next year. I'm not so sure about that given the Van Ginkel and Greenard signings because, IIRC, those two signings would impact how the comp picks would be handed out.

We were set to have two third round comp picks with Hunter, Cousins, Hicks, Davenport, KJ Osborn and Wonnum leaving and signing Greenard, Van Ginkel, Cashman, and Darnold. 

But then we signed Shaq Griffin and that cost us a 3rd round comp pick.

The only way we can get one back is if someone signs Dalton Risner before 5/1 or we cut one of Darnold/Greenard/Van Ginkel/Cashman/Griffin before week 10.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

We were set to have two third round comp picks with Hunter, Cousins, Hicks, Davenport, KJ Osborn and Wonnum leaving and signing Greenard, Van Ginkel, Cashman, and Darnold. 

But then we signed Shaq Griffin and that cost us a 3rd round comp pick.

The only way we can get one back is if someone signs Dalton Risner before 5/1 or we cut one of Darnold/Greenard/Van Ginkel/Cashman/Griffin before week 10.

I thought 10 year vets couldn't get more than a 5th in return. Or is that a rule my brain made up?

• Like 1