Is Bill Bellichick solely to blame for Patriots loss?

BayRaider

6 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

It's not the worst defense he has fielded. At least in terms of points. They didn't even give up 300 points on the season, which a BB defense usually does on a yearly basis. Actually it's been higher than 330 points a few times. 2002 was especially lackluster. 

If we're being completely fair, this is one of the worst defenses he's fielded.  In at least 3 games this season their opponents were robbed of touchdowns. Had those touchdowns stood as they should have, they would've given up a total of 300+ points.  To be fair, Hightower went down early which was a major part of the defense, additionally the secondary did not perform anywhere near as well as it did in the past.

11 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

If we're being completely fair, this is one of the worst defenses he's fielded.  In at least 3 games this season their opponents were robbed of touchdowns. Had those touchdowns stood as they should have, they would've given up a total of 300+ points.  To be fair, Hightower went down early which was a major part of the defense, additionally the secondary did not perform anywhere near as well as it did in the past.

Oh I agree. It's one of the worst. I just don't think it's the worst. 

I give Pederson more credit than I do BB fault. You've got 18 years on BB in NE as data, it should be common knowledge how he prepares for opponents. He's a preparation master. So the Eagles broke their tendencies in crucial moments and gave familiar looks, but ran the plays differently than what they had put on film. They used how prepared NE was against them.

12 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Oh I agree. It's one of the worst. I just don't think it's the worst. 

Honestly even if they had given up over 300 points I wouldn't think it was the worst because injuries and inconsistencies they simply had no way to predict had major effects on how this defense performed this season

On 2/7/2018 at 1:59 PM, Packerraymond said:

I give Pederson more credit than I do BB fault. You've got 18 years on BB in NE as data, it should be common knowledge how he prepares for opponents. He's a preparation master. So the Eagles broke their tendencies in crucial moments and gave familiar looks, but ran the plays differently than what they had put on film. They used how prepared NE was against them.

I don't really think that had much to do with it. In most cases the Patriots defense was in the right coverage. They just were getting beat. I don't even think it was the looks that were the problem, it was the gap in talent. Which makes it questionable that Belichick ended up taking one of his best defensive backs off the field and forcing 3rd, 4th, and 5th on the depth chart corners to play more and then as a result you had guys like Chung playing off position to compensate. 

The biggest thing Pederson really did was that Belichick was playing the odds and Pederson would break from that sometimes. Especially on the 4th down attempts. If Pederson calls a more traditional game, Belichick probably wins because they would have missed out on a TD and settled for a field goal in another instance. That's where Pederson really hurt Belichick. But not on the actual scheming. 

It was just a huge talent gap on defense. Which makes it questionable why Belichick kinda handicapped his defense from a talent perspective. 

On 06/02/2018 at 10:43 PM, EliteTexan80 said:

How about "they lost to a better team" as a reason? I mean, it's not like they lost to the Browns. 

The Eagles outplayed them, period. You can try to analyze blame to somebody, but it's a futile exercise. Sometimes, the guy across from you is simply better, and that's the case this go round.

Come on you should know sports analysis by now. Narrative driven. If we just the Eagles deserve to win because they are and were flat out better it leaves nothing else to talk about hence why we fish for narratives, look for blame etc. 

On 06/02/2018 at 10:45 PM, cddolphin said:

Points are more important than yards. Unfortunately for the Pats, the Eagles could actually turn those yards into points.

Yep. Eagles were the best red zone offense in the league. So Pats bend but don’t break defense went up against an offense that scored in the red zone at the highest rate in the league.

On 07/02/2018 at 2:06 AM, wwhickok said:

Bill Bellichick didn't miss a FG and XP. He didn't fail.to get pressure on the QB. He didn't miss multiple tackles on the RB, nor did he get beat repeatedly by Zach Ertz and Alshon Jeffery. Coming into this game I think his game plan was flawed but could have still helped them win. I think Patricia did a poor job calling the defense in very critical situations. I think the failed trick play by NE was unnecessary but also ironic that Philly ran the same play, did a better job with it, and ultimately beat the Patriots largely because of it.

Tom Brady missed A LOT of throws that were wobbly, over and under thrown, completely inaccurate. The Oline did a horrible job protecting Brady. This was truly a complete team loss.

The o-line did a horrible job protecting Brady? Brady surprisingly was quite comfortable. If he was horribly protected then he wouldn’t have been able to hit deep passes at such an alarming rate in the game.

On 2/6/2018 at 2:43 PM, EliteTexan80 said:

How about "they lost to a better team" as a reason? I mean, it's not like they lost to the Browns. 

The Eagles outplayed them, period. You can try to analyze blame to somebody, but it's a futile exercise. Sometimes, the guy across from you is simply better, and that's the case this go round.

Yeah the eagles were the best team in the league almost all year why does any team need to blame someone for losing to them?

1 hour ago, ninjapirate said:

Yeah the eagles were the best team in the league almost all year why does any team need to blame someone for losing to them?

People get so offended by crap like this. It's sports. When someone wins it's a function of exemplary play by one side and inefficient play by the other. If both teams played everything perfect every play it would just be a stalemate. So you can point to things the Eagles did well and things the Patriots did poorly. Like you could do with every other single sporting contest. 

5 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

That's true.  I was actually thinking about that recently.  The Vikings had a great team and played well most of the year but in the NFCCG, we just went up against a team that was better.  You guys were better in the trenches, and that made the difference.  You guys are the champions, and it's nice to see that because you did have the best team in the league this year.  You deserved to win it all.  

Archived