aSK anything: 5.0: Designated Steve-vivor

Heimdallr

6 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Now, that that is done, if you wish to respond to @Krauser, @Cearbhall, you will need to take it to your DMs...I'd personally like this thread to remain open again, as I'm sure the mods would as well.  While these kinds of issues are certainly important, Webby made it clear that he wouldn't be a good moderator of it.  So, ask about anything else.  xD   

I thought he didn't want political discussion. I wasn't talking about politics. I was talking about doctors. That profession is not politically affiliated.

If I misinterpreted what we are to avoid, I apologize for that. Hopefully a mod can clarify whether it is more than political discussion that is to be avoided in this thread.

Edited by Cearbhall

5 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I thought he didn't want political discussion. I wasn't talking about politics. I was talking about doctors. That profession is not politically affiliated.

If I misinterpreted what we are to avoid, I apologize for that. Hopefully a mod can clarify whether it is more than political discussion that is to be avoided in this thread.

Yeah, they would probably know better than I, since I haven't been a mod in probably 7 years or so now, I just thought that he might interpret it going down that road.

3 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

It seems you are concerned about me talking about doctors and you would rather we talk about some other profession. To that, let me remind you that you are the ones that brought doctors up. If you brought up some other profession, I might have discussed the other profession as well.

I am concerned that you are missing the point. What you wrote is obtuse, at best.

I'm done discussing this with you.

• Like 1

Just now, swede700 said:

Yeah, they would probably know better than I, since I haven't been a mod in probably 7 years or so now, I just thought that he might interpret it going down that road.

Yeah, that could be. It is possible that responses will go down the wrong road. I tried to avoid racial injustice and political discussion. It is fine. If what I posted is borderline I'll not post more about it until the situation is further clarified.

1 hour ago, Cearbhall said:

How can doctors get away with maleficence? They are physicians. They seemingly always win. Physician's facing harrowing abuse allegations get off light again and again.

Doctors are shielded by hospitals and state medical boards. When prosecutors do step in, doctors usually manage to avoid prison, avoid felony records, and stay off sex offender registries making medical boards less likely to pull their license to practice. Why is that?

Felony sexual cases are pled down to misdemeanors. Doctor's have attorneys that are good negotiators.  Their attorney's are better than what the average person has that is in the system. If you get a felony reduced to a misdemeanor you're not listed as a sex offender. Sometimes doctors don't have any charges stick at all.

Not at all unlike law enforcement having bad apples, the medical community employs more than their share of bad apples as well. Do they self police well? How do doctors get away with things over and over? Do they believe they are above the law? Not at all unlike law enforcement, some of them seem to believe just that. Why?

Cases have low priority. In some states groping is just a misdemeanor. Evidence can by flimsy. There are no body cameras in the doctor's office so it ends up being a patient's word against the doctor's word. Physicians can claim they were performing legitimate procedures which the patient misinterpreted. Cases can fall apart when victims decide not to testify, perhaps because they get spooked or perhaps because the doctor comes to an out-of-court settlement with the victim. Doctors have more ability to buy their way out of situations than law enforcement officers. Prosecutors are not cavalier with public money. They want to bring cases they have a good chance of winning. While they (the DAs) are concerned about use of public money doctors bring to cases the best legal representation money can buy. It is very expensive to prosecute them (the doctors) so charges are often dropped when odds of conviction are weighed against the cost of proceeding with charges.

Then when cases do get further along the doctor has no priors on the record so they don't have have a record that can be used to impugn their character. Prosecutors don't believe that a jury can be swayed to convict a nice looking, well spoken, highly intelligent physician. Even more than law enforcement, we are conditioned to trust and respect doctors.

All of this is why I believe there are occasional doctors, not at all unlike occasional police officers, that act as if they are above the law. Both doctors and law enforcement get away with it a high enough percentage of the time. The medical community does not police well when an institution is concerned about their reputation being harmed. They have a conflict of interest.

@Krauser This is all in response to your holding up doctors as an example of self-policing that can lead to more respect. I am not so sure doctors are an example that I would like the police to strive towards. Sure, when you are good enough at covering things up you may be more respected but that is not the system to strive for.

I would say that for the cases you are referring to, physicians tend to get off or lessen their charges due to their personal lawyers or their own money and not so much from the way the health care system is set up. Like @Krauser said, doctors lose their license frequently and are often held in front of medical review boards made up of their peers to determine if they did anything maleficent or non-benevolent and if in any way it is found that they knowingly did something wrong or were negligent they are punished.

I think the point that Krauser was trying to make wasn't that other professions don't have bad apples but more that those professions tend to have more accountability (outside the situations you mentioned, which like I said tend to be covered by the physicians personal malpractice insurance, personal lawyers, and their own money) while the law enforcement system is designed to allow officers to get off when they do something wrong or unjust due to minimal accountability and minor punishments. If you don't think that is true just look up qualified immunity because that should tell you all you need to know.

I made my first terrible mistake of home schooling... My son suggested an end of the school year zoom call with his class a few weeks ago. I was in the middle of troubleshooting something at work and totally spaced on the time. He missed his own call and I feel miserable about it.

19 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

I made my first terrible mistake of home schooling... My son suggested an end of the school year zoom call with his class a few weeks ago. I was in the middle of troubleshooting something at work and totally spaced on the time. He missed his own call and I feel miserable about it.

Parents had to go through likely even more than teachers with the whole distance learning thing; I'm sure any hurt feelings will pass quickly into summer joy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RpMc said:

Parents had to go through likely even more than teachers with the whole distance learning thing; I'm sure any hurt feelings will pass quickly into summer joy.

My niece, a wonderful woman, has had to be a part of the distance learning for who two twin girls who are in Middle School!  Makes me shudder just thinking about all that!  Glad my son is 28!!

On 6/4/2020 at 10:42 AM, swede700 said:

Oh, Wisconsin...how we love (to make fun of) you so....

I think it's safe to say they've never looked better. :D

This is really no different from the Pittsburgh Steelers or Nebraska Cornhuskers when I think about it (i.e. a nod to an historic occupation in the region). It's just that anything involving udders and/or cows is inherently funny.