Madden 19

MacReady

On 2/13/2018 at 12:09 PM, Danger said:

Madden

Where $60 a year will get you slightly better graphics, a roster update, and some of your previously most enjoyed features taken out only to be re-added 3 years later.

There's a reason I haven't bought Madden since Madden 10.

I think we are in the minority but i haven't bought one since Vince Young was on the cover lol. Still works. I used to play so much that the relevant guys would retire so i'd create new players from todays NFL. Just as fun

1 hour ago, showtime said:

You guys do understand that you're in the minority with the things you want, correct?  Most people (like me, for example) don't care about progression or coaching.  I play games and I play human opponents.  That is what EA's focus is and that's what their focus should be.  It sucks that you guys don't get the things you want for a more accurate football simulation, but that's not that Madden is.  That's not what NBA 2K is.  Those games are more meant as fun/arcade type games.

You're right. It' s unfortunate, but I don't think it's realistic to release the game ever year and cater to every fan. The fan base that wants coordinators etc is small and you find them on these kind of forums. I want them, but you can't expect the average madden fan to want to do all of these detailed things they probably don't care about. 

I think EA really did themselves a favor this year doing the closed beta testing, and I say that because it's a negative for consumers but a positive for their business model.

Only gave out codes to people who already promote the game (or a VERY select few "random" people who "won" codes) so that all the content they put out is already bought and paid for and most likely controlled by EA.

Basically nobody who wants to put out negative reviews of the game, or try to even release unbiased gameplay/analysis is able to now. That way once release day hits, you've controlled the narrative of the game all the way to release. 

We'll see how sales do this year compared to other years, but for me the fact that they're basically hiding this game behind a closed beta is ALWAYS a red flag for me.

2 hours ago, JBURGE25 said:

You're right. It' s unfortunate, but I don't think it's realistic to release the game ever year and cater to every fan. The fan base that wants coordinators etc is small and you find them on these kind of forums. I want them, but you can't expect the average madden fan to want to do all of these detailed things they probably don't care about. 

Part of it is that they don't realize what they're missing. Part of the reason The Witcher 3 (I know it's sort of apples to oranges) was so popular is because they didn't round corners. They paid attention to the small things and didn't just say "that's good enough". I haven't bought Madden since Madden 11, if I saw that they actually were addressing some of the more niche things and being consumer friendly, I might feel inclined to get it. There's obviously a sizeable amount of people who feel this way even if they aren't the majority.

12 hours ago, Danger said:
15 hours ago, JBURGE25 said:

Part of it is that they don't realize what they're missing. Part of the reason The Witcher 3 (I know it's sort of apples to oranges) was so popular is because they didn't round corners. They paid attention to the small things and didn't just say "that's good enough". I haven't bought Madden since Madden 11, if I saw that they actually were addressing some of the more niche things and being consumer friendly, I might feel inclined to get it. There's obviously a sizeable amount of people who feel this way even if they aren't the majority.

I don't disagree, but like I said with the 1 year development it doesn't surprise me that they have to cut corners. In order for them to add that stuff in, the game would be even more basic for a couple years lmao

3 hours ago, showtime said:

I never recall Madden participating in a beta process.  Hopefully they can iron out a lot of bugs and glitches now that real life game play is happening.

The bugs exist at Headquarters and glitches won't be handled until they actually release their coders from their prison cells. 

The EA Access trial for those on PC and Xbox should probably be open sometime on August 1st or August 2nd, I would guess.  That's probably going to be the ultimate decider on whether or not I buy Madden 19 on release day.  10 hours of the full game should be enough to judge.

On 6/24/2018 at 5:37 PM, showtime said:

You guys do understand that you're in the minority with the things you want, correct?  Most people (like me, for example) don't care about progression or coaching.  I play games and I play human opponents.  That is what EA's focus is and that's what their focus should be.  It sucks that you guys don't get the things you want for a more accurate football simulation, but that's not that Madden is.  That's not what NBA 2K is.  Those games are more meant as fun/arcade type games.

Don't kid yourself. Their real focus is milking gullible saps out of their money with microtransactions like through Madden Ultimate Team. The fact is, they could be making the game better in all facets, from Human versus human online play, to franchise mode, to pretty much everything... but they don't. Why?  Because they have no competition  and have exclusive rights to a cash cow license . The game has barely improved since the PS2 days. it constantly takes one step forward, and then a step back. if they just built off Madden 2004 every year for the last 15 years, the game would be far better than it is now.

Basically what I'm saying is, you're not wrong in general that they're catering to the majority, but they're not catering to that majority in any kind of meaningful way. The gameplay isn't dramatically improving either... The only things they work hard on are the graphics ( which honestly aren't impressive either if you consider animations and physics part of the graphics) , and its use of microtransactions... Because as I said, they are just trying to appeal to the brainwashed masses... and also know that they have a lot of customers who buy the game simply because there are no other options.

1 minute ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Don't kid yourself. Their real focus is milking gullible saps out of their money with microtransactions like through Madden Ultimate Team. The fact is, they could be making the game better in all facets, from Human versus human online play, to franchise mode, to pretty much everything... but they don't. Why?  Because they have no competition  and have exclusive rights to a cash cow license . The game has barely improved since the PS2 days. it constantly takes one step forward, and then a step back. if they just built off Madden 2004 every year for the last 15 years, the game would be far better than it is now.

Basically what I'm saying is, you're not wrong in general that they're catering to the majority, but they're not catering to that majority in any kind of meaningful way. The gameplay isn't dramatically improving either... The only things they work hard on are the graphics ( which honestly aren't impressive either if you consider animations and physics part of the graphics) , and its use of microtransactions... Because as I said, they are just trying to appeal to the brainwashed masses... and also know that they have a lot of customers who buy the game simply because there are no other options.

As someone that plays MUT, but will never spend money on the mode, this is obviously correct. Why bother spending time and putting effort into producing a respectable game when you have tens of thousands of people itching to drop $1,000s for the newest and best virtual football card as soon as it drops? I barely even blame them, beyond simple self respect, why exert yourself when the bottomline is going to be the same regardless of the quality of the product?

• Like 1