The Official Recruiting Thread

1King

10 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Did he sign? It only says committed. Hard to figure out beyond FSU being desperate for some positive news.

Yea I guess his signing could still be pushed back. Is what it is… Don’t really care either way. If he signs Miami, great. If not, oh well. He’s definitely not some can’t-miss recruit.

Edited by ttitansfan4life

15 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

"Okay did you get that? Great, I've got this 3* who needs to take a greyshirt today and I've been slacking on telling him so I've gotta run. Yep, yep that last quote was 'adults manipulating young men'."

It was always truly hard to crack that money under the table code when we saw dudes rolling into practice with custom $100K cars as freshmen. "wHy DId tHiS T0p rEcRUiT GR@y $HirT?????"

At least now this is out in the open and taxable. I'd still prefer some "reasonable" limits here...and as cool as it is to see the playing field get a bit more equitable after today's flip to Deion, his deal and relationship with Barstool and foreshadowing about shocking the world really opens up a can of worms...but no moreso than DJ U's NIL deal with Dr. Pepper and Clemson's run in the CFP or the blatant monopoly E$PN has with the CFP and $EC with that vested interest and billions in revenue for both entities. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Everybody complaining now are the same people who were screaming about paying dudes when, if the NCAA had accepted that they had to pay players and took a proactive stance at being a broad and all encompassing governing and parental body of the sport of college football, making all the money front facing rather than just changing what we call bag men.

Bam, everything about this that people don't like, solved immediately, years ago. But that horse is gone, too late now.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

It was always truly hard to crack that money under the table code when we saw dudes rolling into practice with custom $100K cars as freshmen. "wHy DId tHiS T0p rEcRUiT GR@y $HirT?????"

At least now this is out in the open and taxable. I'd still prefer some "reasonable" limits here...and as cool as it is to see the playing field get a bit more equitable after today's flip to Deion, his deal and relationship with Barstool and foreshadowing about shocking the world really opens up a can of worms...but no moreso than DJ U's NIL deal with Dr. Pepper and Clemson's run in the CFP or the blatant monopoly E$PN has with the CFP and $EC with that vested interest and billions in revenue for both entities. 

Yeah, this has clearly been in the pipeline for years and was ultimately inevitable. The NCAA had plenty of chances to be open and figure out a way to make this work where players could be paid and it wouldn't be a ****show. Instead they waited until legislation was literally forcing it to happen and they didn't get to have a real say in how it would be implemented and so now it's a **** show. That's all on the NCAA, they had their chance to implement this stuff in a better way but never wanted to threaten their money. Ultimately I don't think they really care now anyway because they still don't have to pay the students directly, they are still making money hand over fist, and stuff like the Jackson State stuff from yesterday just drives further interest and money into the sport.

9 minutes ago, rackcs said:

Yeah, this has clearly been in the pipeline for years and was ultimately inevitable. The NCAA had plenty of chances to be open and figure out a way to make this work where players could be paid and it wouldn't be a ****show. Instead they waited until legislation was literally forcing it to happen and they didn't get to have a real say in how it would be implemented and so now it's a **** show. That's all on the NCAA, they had their chance to implement this stuff in a better way but never wanted to threaten their money. Ultimately I don't think they really care now anyway because they still don't have to pay the students directly, they are still making money hand over fist, and stuff like the Jackson State stuff from yesterday just drives further interest and money into the sport.

NIL Legislation + The Transfer Portal + The early signing period = This perfect storm, not just from a recruiting standpoint, but from these head coaches becoming paid mercenaries who will actually make MORE money, leave MORE often, flip MORE recruits, land MORE side gigs with MORE companies who will pay MORE MONEY to athletes for NIL...and just wait until they expand the CFP to 12 teams

And the NCAA passing the buck is nothing new. They washed their hands of COVID and plenty of other things...just like Watergate, follow the money in college football.

TBH, I won't be surprised to see a 30 for 30 on this.

*Narrator Voice*

"What if I told you that College Football was changed forever? What if I told you that it became the most popular sport in America? And what if I told you that it all came crashing down...?"

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MWil23 said:

As much as the money may appear insane, my guess is this is still a pretty cheap source of advertising. 

But yeah the Barstool deal being legit was definitely a trendsetting deal. NIL was always murky on whether where the kid goes is conditional or not (hence why Texas and Miami are giving out huge deals to position groups as a workaround), but that's done and over now. No sense in disguising that there are strings attached any more.

And if you think ESPN is incestuous, you wait until they start getting into NIL space. Kiper and McShay are going to be getting notes on who to gas up in their mock drafts soon.