Free Agency Discussion

candyman93

Those bashing Chris Ivory sure haven't watched him much... he runs tough and physical ... His YPC in JAX is mostly attributed to the poor OL play and lack of passing threat via Blake Bortles (Leonard Fournette had 3.9 YPA).

He's older and is not a burner in the slightest and won't take one to the house, but he'll set the tone as a worker and rugged runner in what is sure to be a backfield of Duke Johnson as the young vet that gets more touches and a rookie (whoever we draft at RB within the first 3 rounds).

6 hours ago, Mind Character said:

Those bashing Chris Ivory sure haven't watched him much... he runs tough and physical ... His YPC in JAX is mostly attributed to the poor OL play and lack of passing threat via Blake Bortles (Leonard Fournette had 3.9 YPA).

He's older and is not a burner in the slightest and won't take one to the house, but he'll set the tone as a worker and rugged runner in what is sure to be a backfield of Duke Johnson as the young vet that gets more touches and a rookie (whoever we draft at RB within the first 3 rounds).

I saw a lot of him when I lived in NY and was stuck watching Jets games -  he's a tough runner (physically and mentally) and would be a solid compliment to Duke and a rookie, plus a good veteran presence in the locker/meeting rooms. Nothing wrong with this move if he came at the right price.

12 hours ago, bruceb said:

I think that we picked a bad year to have a lot of money to spend in FA.

Yep. Too bad the genius Sashi and his army of nerds couldn't foresee that. Pass on Wentz and Watson so we can pick top QB in a flawed class, sit on a treasure chest of $ during a meh FA class, and have as rock bottom of a team and roster as possible (hence also the least compelling destination for FAs). I wonder why he doesn't have a job with any NFL team?

3 minutes ago, dawgdish said:

Yep. Too bad the genius Sashi and his army of nerds couldn't foresee that.

A couple things here.

1. We only HAVE to spend the $59 million in use it or lose it money. The rest we can roll over, which we'd be smart to do.

2. We spent a LOT of money last year on OL and LB. Zeitler, Bitonio, Tretter, Kirksey, and Collins. It's not like they're outright refusing to spend money the way that they did under the Learner years. That was brutal.

Pass on Wentz

Horrific decision looking back.

and Watson

I was the only person in creation that was high on him. Still a stupid decision, but if we get our Franchise stud QB this year, no one will care.

Plus, we'll see how Watson and Wentz heal/don't heal coming off of their injuries.

so we can pick top QB in a flawed class,

I think that there are 2 legitimate Franchise STUD QBs in Darnold and Rosen, with Mayfield as a potential 3rd darkhorse guy if he overcomes his immaturity and height issues/concerns, and a strong armed guy I'd definitely stay away from in Allen, and an interesting candidate in L. Jackson who I'd also steer clear of. Those guys alone blow last year's QB class out of the water at first glance.

sit on a treasure chest of $ during a meh FA class,

See above. We spent a lot of money last year. We should continue to spend a lot AND roll a lot over every year.

and have as rock bottom of a team and roster as possible

I won't fault you here. It's true...but yet there's a lot of young potential/good guys in:

*Coleman: Potential

*Njoku: Potential

*Peppers: Potential

*Bitonio: STUD

*Zeitler: STUD

*Tretter: Average/Above average

Duke: Good hybrid RB

Garrett: STUD

Ogbah: Good

Shelton/Brantlye/Ogunjobi: Good

Kirksey: Good

Collins: Good

Schobert: Good/Pro Bowler

That's a nice 15 guy roster to build around, all of whom are 28 and under. 

(hence also the least compelling destination for FAs).

Money tends to right a lot of that. They may have to overspend because it's Cleveland, but we've lured quality FA's here before and will continue to do so as long as we pay their checks.

I wonder why he doesn't have a job with any NFL team?

Because he was fired a few months ago?

Also, he's a stupid nerd, just like Philly's GM/President. Look at what a buffoon that guy is. Stupid nerd.

10 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

They do if they only have 3 scatbacks on their roster. Barkley can run with power on occasion, but this isn't why you draft him. Plus if he goes down, we will have Duke Johnson and Matt Dayes trying to slam it into the endzone around the goal line. Doesn't sound like a great plan.

If Barkley goes down who cares who the other RB, is because that’s going to be a huge lost. There is a reason he is a pure 3 down back because no matter he has all the ability to stay on the field.  Yeah Barkley can run with power on occasion because he has skills that allows him to avoid heavy contact. 

Yeah you can view duke as a scatback cause he is 5’9 200+. Barkley is 5’11 225+. Barkley can be whatever kind of back he wants

7 hours ago, Mind Character said:

No, I’ve seen him, hence referencing the same points about his running style you did, but he’s just not good any longer.

You can draft a slow, downhill runner on day 3 that costs about the same as what Ivory does this year over the course of his entire rookie deal.

There’s a reason there’s no market for 30 year old running backs.

6 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Meh, he was not good last year.  I’d probably just roll with Kizer tbh.

No point in spending 15 million on a QB who sucks, we’ve already got that guy on the roster.

I was thinking more 6-8M no way he gets 15. I’d take him over Kessler. 

1 minute ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I was thinking more 6-8M no way he gets 15. I’d take him over Kessler. 

He got it 12 months ago.

6-8? Sure, I guess.  I’m not sure what he offers other than he’s a stiff who can suck until we play Darnold.

If we’re going to have a bridge QB, I’d like them to at least be capable of winning a few games.

8 hours ago, Mind Character said:

If that's the case, i'd rather go Jeremy Hill who is 5 years younger and has fresher legs.

Super totally random take, I was so disappointed with Xavier Cooper

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I was the only person in creation that was high on him. Still a stupid decision, but if we get our Franchise stud QB this year, no one will care.

Plus, we'll see how Watson and Wentz heal/don't heal coming off of their injuries.

You weren't the only one - my friend and I almost came to blows to see who could throw the TV out the window after we traded off that Watson pick last draft, and were both pacifists!

Those two would have been playing in different games and running different plays and practices, so no guarantee they would have gotten hurt.

For the record, I'm all for analytics...bring on the nerds, but Sashi should not have been promoted to GM with final roster control, and that's more on Haslam than anyone. However, if he walked on water as many around here insist, he would have had another high profile front office job by now. Awesome free-agent coaches, players, and execs get snapped up quick.

Archived