Free Agency Discussion

candyman93

4 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Agree.

Still hoping we pass on T. Johnson, too.

Both < stop-gaps.

Both are stop gaps but I think Coleman could make a huge impact because of his leadership alone on the field and in the locker room. Browns locker room isnt in bad shape but its just so young, I rather have guys who are known as great leaders come in to show the young guys how to be. Dont need peope like Kenny Britt. I also think having a vet like Coleman around Peppers would be helpful.

Looking at football outsiders adv stats. They have Panthers listed as a top10 pass defense. He might of been a liability at times for the Panthers but he might be a huge improve for the Browns.I also welcome him as a stop gap. The Browns are not going to address every hole with young talent this year. I would actually rather get established vet guys for the defense. The defense has enough youth on it. Want to bring in some vets who can show leadership and show them how to play.

1 minute ago, buno67 said:

Both are stop gaps but I think Coleman could make a huge impact because of his leadership alone on the field and in the locker room. Browns locker room isnt in bad shape but its just so young, I rather have guys who are known as great leaders come in to show the young guys how to be. Dont need peope like Kenny Britt. I also think having a vet like Coleman around Peppers would be helpful.

Looking at football outsiders adv stats. They have Panthers listed as a top10 pass defense. He might of been a liability at times for the Panthers but he might be a huge improve for the Browns.I also welcome him as a stop gap. The Browns are not going to address every hole with young talent this year. I would actually rather get established vet guys for the defense. The defense has enough youth on it. Want to bring in some vets who can show leadership and show them how to play.

I suppose, and besides, he probably would be wimp Williams' new angel.

12 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Give me EJ Gaines CB, Kyle Fuller CB, Kurt Coleman FS, Josh McCown QB, Tamba Hali DE, and Sammy Watkins WR on the first day of Free Agency and call it a day...

man that would add some needed veteran experience. 

like those are the types of moves FA is supposed to be made for 

you could even take out Watkins and put someone like Marquis Lee

we need players who have produced 

FA will be a real struggle for us, only FA's interested in money will sign with us at an inflated price, hoping to just get bye healthy till they retire. You cannot expect that they will be huge contributors in the short turn. 

The franchise will have to show signs of life before any competitive FA chooses Cleveland as a location worth signing with and that may take another season to accomplish. Right now, we have zero credibility for FA's and having kept our HC, nobody except for money, will give us the time of day! So whether Dorsey likes it or not, he may well consider waiting another year before spending a lot on FA's, so he can get some real solid ones that will actually help us win some games, because right now, it is not too promising!!!

3 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

FA will be a real struggle for us, only FA's interested in money will sign with us at an inflated price, hoping to just get bye healthy till they retire. You cannot expect that they will be huge contributors in the short turn. 

The franchise will have to show signs of life before any competitive FA chooses Cleveland as a location worth signing with and that may take another season to accomplish. Right now, we have zero credibility for FA's and having kept our HC, nobody except for money, will give us the time of day! So whether Dorsey likes it or not, he may well consider waiting another year before spending a lot on FA's, so he can get some real solid ones that will actually help us win some games, because right now, it is not too promising!!!

Yes and no imo.

I do agree that if any aging vets are wanting to sign here, it’s for a paycheck only.

That said, I think you can sign younger guys who are either a.) wanting their first big contract or b.) wanting an opportunity to start. I think those guys can still provide a decent effort, but probably not a good value, especially the former.

Some of the guys listed, like Tamba Hali for example, what’s his motivation for coming here? He’d have one year, maybe two, left and he’s going to spend it trying to improve our 4-44 record?  Nah, he’s just here for the Dwayne Bowe special.

8 hours ago, Mind Character said:

Give me EJ Gaines CB, Kyle Fuller CB, Kurt Coleman FS, Josh McCown QB, Tamba Hali DE, and Sammy Watkins WR on the first day of Free Agency and call it a day...

Why would McCown come back here? I don’t see why he would want to play for Hue again. Hue thought he was washed up and not worth having as a player and wanted to make him a coach. He then goes to the Jets and has a darn good season. 

15 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I know it’s unlikely but I’d like to try and sign Derrick Johnson. Our defense needs some vet leaders and he’s one of the best coverage LBs in the game. We need someone to guard a TE. 

Where is he playing though? Are we benching our 24 year old pro bowl MLB?

What would be his motivation for signing here?

Hard pass on a guy who turns 36 this year.

I’m all for bringing in a few vets, but they need to be late twenties to 30-31, not 34-35 like Hali and Johnson.

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I know it’s unlikely but I’d like to try and sign Derrick Johnson. Our defense needs some vet leaders and he’s one of the best coverage LBs in the game. We need someone to guard a TE. 

Part of then Issue of covering TE falls on the scheme too. Also helps that TEs have a huge hole in the middle of the defense to work with because FS was 30yards away

2 hours ago, buno67 said:

Why would McCown come back here? I don’t see why he would want to play for Hue again. Hue thought he was washed up and not worth having as a player and wanted to make him a coach. He then goes to the Jets and has a darn good season. 

Eggs-actly.

Personalities still matter in this game. I just cannot see Josh wanting to come back for round 2 to play for a guy that kicked him to the curb.

Archived