Free Agency Discussion

candyman93

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Where is he playing though? Are we benching our 24 year old pro bowl MLB?

What would be his motivation for signing here?

Hard pass on a guy who turns 36 this year.

I’m all for bringing in a few vets, but they need to be late twenties to 30-31, not 34-35 like Hali and Johnson.

I have no idea. I’m just sick of watching TEs kill us. 

But his motivation would be money. Let’s not fool ourselves. 

I’m chalking the 2017 TE coverage to a combination of a new starting MLB and a natural SS/LB that is playing a hybrid between PR/FS. Mostly the latter. How could that gap in coverage not get exposed? The weirdest part to me is that it was an issue from week 1 yet lasted, without alteration, 16 game-weeks long. I think 2018 could say it all as far as Peppers ability to fit in this league. Hopefully these dudes are out in the best position to be successful. Let Peppers be the PR but only on 4th down. It angers me to see poor coaching give the players no chance or start their careers the wrong direction from the beginning. 

16 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I like Coleman, but I have no clue what he’d cost or how much he wants to win.

I wouldn’t back up a Brinks truck for him, but if the deal was right, sure.

Oh we are on his second tier team list for sure. However if he could be brought in for a reasonable contract, I would welcome him. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

17 hours ago, buno67 said:

I would almost want to trade Kizer and draft two QBs in this draft. Make the QBs on this Roster all Dorsey guys. Those QBs will be here longer than Huebris

I am going on record...and I am Pounding the table for Kizer....He was my #2 rated QB coming out last year, but as with all the QB's I thought would need a least a year or TWO to sit and learn....(Watson proved me wrong...but he was the 3rd QB taken in the draft, so not like a LOT of people had it right)...Kizer stood in the pocket and took a pounding for 16 games and made it through and 0-16 record, the foolishness out of our receiving corps, BAD offensive game plans by our HC/OC and still said the right Mature things, there were some plays he made...a lot of plays he made, that made me go "WHERE IN THE HELL IS HE THROWING THE BALL"......he threw some INT's......and THIS surprised folks? He should have been a Red Shirt Jr. this last football season, he has 1 year of starting experience under his belt....so he needs to improve him decision making a footwork.....If anyone didnt already expect this, then they had very poor expectations.....

There were quite a few plays made, with some scrambles and some throw's he made that made me say "There are only about 3-4 other QB's in the leauge that could make that throw or that scramble".....I think his leauge high 22 INT's is a bit skewed, 4-5 of those picks came on End of Game or End of Half hair Marry's, I can attribute 4 INT's DIRECTLY to the receiver got hit right in the hands and tipped it up to a DB (Britt 2, Higgens 1 and Vitale 1) and I cant prove it, but I am also attribute 4-5 of those picks to WR' running the WRONG route (I know Britt x2, Higgens 1 and  Treggs 1 for CERTAIN).....a Pick is a PICK, without question...and Number Never Lie....BUT numbers don't always tell the entire story.....just adding some context to the 22 INT's. Not to mention, out QB Whispering HC, had a Rookie Qb, starting his 2nd game on the Road, throw the ball 54 times against a team that could not stop the run and was missing their starting QB....(I know I repeat this a lot....but that is HOW MUCH that confuses me...I still dont understand how that could POSSIBLY happen).....our QB should never have been put in position to call a "Check with me" play on 3rd and Goal from the 3 with 13 seconds to the half and no Time Outs.....it just boggles my mind. Just eliminating the drops and Hail Marry's, Kizers numbers go -8 Int's and +3-4 passing TD's (I know I've seen multiple players drop them, Britt and Cory Coleman in particular). I think this young QB equated himself pretty well, given the Play Calling, injuries to the Oline, and what we fielded last year as a WR Corps. I also like that as the year went on, he seemed to start improving to me.....he started sliding more and taking less hits, on some play's that would have been sacks earlier in the season he started to throw the ball away on, and he began to get a better idea of when to audible to a run, he improved on his ability to get the team in and out of the huddle, and he became more comfortable and less mechanical on his 5 and 7 step drops.....I know these are little things, but if he can show that much improvement over the course of a year, lets see what this kid who JUST turned 22 a little mover a month ago can develop into. In terms of Physical skills IMO he's got a better combination Skill set than ANY QB coming out in this draft....He's bigger, tougher, stronger, faster and has a bigger arm than Rosen, same for Darnold and Mayfield.....Lamar Jackson, I dont think has the same arm talent.....the Kid from Wyoming is the only one who has the type of combo tool set....and they are talking about this kid going #1 to us, #2 to the Giants, but NO LATER than 6th to Jets....I haven't fallen out of love with Kizer in a single season, especially since I saw improvement...now I want to see continued improvement and consistency.....Until we have a QB, we don't have a QB, and for one am NOT willing to give up on such a physically gifted kid, with a GREAT attitude and GREAT work ethic....

I am OFFICIALLY POUNDING the TABLE for DeShone Kizer.....

2 hours ago, DaWg_LB. said:

I am going on record...and I am Pounding the table for Kizer....He was my #2 rated QB coming out last year, but as with all the QB's I thought would need a least a year or TWO to sit and learn....(Watson proved me wrong...but he was the 3rd QB taken in the draft, so not like a LOT of people had it right)...Kizer stood in the pocket and took a pounding for 16 games and made it through and 0-16 record, the foolishness out of our receiving corps, BAD offensive game plans by our HC/OC and still said the right Mature things, there were some plays he made...a lot of plays he made, that made me go "WHERE IN THE HELL IS HE THROWING THE BALL"......he threw some INT's......and THIS surprised folks? He should have been a Red Shirt Jr. this last football season, he has 1 year of starting experience under his belt....so he needs to improve him decision making a footwork.....If anyone didnt already expect this, then they had very poor expectations.....

There were quite a few plays made, with some scrambles and some throw's he made that made me say "There are only about 3-4 other QB's in the leauge that could make that throw or that scramble".....I think his leauge high 22 INT's is a bit skewed, 4-5 of those picks came on End of Game or End of Half hair Marry's, I can attribute 4 INT's DIRECTLY to the receiver got hit right in the hands and tipped it up to a DB (Britt 2, Higgens 1 and Vitale 1) and I cant prove it, but I am also attribute 4-5 of those picks to WR' running the WRONG route (I know Britt x2, Higgens 1 and  Treggs 1 for CERTAIN).....a Pick is a PICK, without question...and Number Never Lie....BUT numbers don't always tell the entire story.....just adding some context to the 22 INT's. Not to mention, out QB Whispering HC, had a Rookie Qb, starting his 2nd game on the Road, throw the ball 54 times against a team that could not stop the run and was missing their starting QB....(I know I repeat this a lot....but that is HOW MUCH that confuses me...I still dont understand how that could POSSIBLY happen).....our QB should never have been put in position to call a "Check with me" play on 3rd and Goal from the 3 with 13 seconds to the half and no Time Outs.....it just boggles my mind. Just eliminating the drops and Hail Marry's, Kizers numbers go -8 Int's and +3-4 passing TD's (I know I've seen multiple players drop them, Britt and Cory Coleman in particular). I think this young QB equated himself pretty well, given the Play Calling, injuries to the Oline, and what we fielded last year as a WR Corps. I also like that as the year went on, he seemed to start improving to me.....he started sliding more and taking less hits, on some play's that would have been sacks earlier in the season he started to throw the ball away on, and he began to get a better idea of when to audible to a run, he improved on his ability to get the team in and out of the huddle, and he became more comfortable and less mechanical on his 5 and 7 step drops.....I know these are little things, but if he can show that much improvement over the course of a year, lets see what this kid who JUST turned 22 a little mover a month ago can develop into. In terms of Physical skills IMO he's got a better combination Skill set than ANY QB coming out in this draft....He's bigger, tougher, stronger, faster and has a bigger arm than Rosen, same for Darnold and Mayfield.....Lamar Jackson, I dont think has the same arm talent.....the Kid from Wyoming is the only one who has the type of combo tool set....and they are talking about this kid going #1 to us, #2 to the Giants, but NO LATER than 6th to Jets....I haven't fallen out of love with Kizer in a single season, especially since I saw improvement...now I want to see continued improvement and consistency.....Until we have a QB, we don't have a QB, and for one am NOT willing to give up on such a physically gifted kid, with a GREAT attitude and GREAT work ethic....

I am OFFICIALLY POUNDING the TABLE for DeShone Kizer.....

Didn’t read the comment because I’m on my phone. I don’t want to get rid of Kizer because he isn’t good or doesn’t have potential. I’m a big Kizer fan, sporting him in my profile but I think going forward, it might be best for both parties to go separate ways. I would be happy keeping or trading him

On 2/24/2018 at 1:23 PM, candyman93 said:

Finding talent in free agency is no different than finding talent in the draft.

Edited Saturday at 01:24 PM by candyman93

Sure they were able to build through free agency, but those organizations weren't stigmatized like our organization is.

6 hours ago, buno67 said:

Why would McCown come back here? I don’t see why he would want to play for Hue again. Hue thought he was washed up and not worth having as a player and wanted to make him a coach. He then goes to the Jets and has a darn good season. 

You must not have followed that Josh McCown seriously considered being on Hue's coaching staff as QB coach, the two love and respect each other, "Josh came out mid season and said Hue's going to turn it around in Cleveland because he's one of the better coaches in the NFL," Josh McCown was cut because his contract didn't justify his play given injury, Josh still wanted to pursue a starting opportunity on and that wasn't available at that time in Cleveland.....

The Jets haven't committed to him yet as they are big game hunting in Free Agency.

If McCown gets squeezed out, a lot of people in the know think that he could come back to Cleveland...of those including his close friends like Andrew Hawkins.

6 hours ago, MWil23 said:

No thanks to Tamba Hali. The dude has Willie "I'm in my mid 30s and my skills are deteriorating but I'd love to be overpaid and collect a few more big checks" McGinest written all over him.

It has Willie McGinest written all over him if you assume all DEs/OLBs that are past 30 are the same.

Tamba is a different kind of player with all out effort and less diminished athleticism at this stage of his career than Willie McGinest. He still works hard at his craft and can be an explosive asset in situational 3rd downs. He could also mentor Myles and would come at a cheap 1 or 2 year price tag.

He had some injuries recently, but his work habits and commitment to the game are elite and that could do wonders to elevate Emmanuel Ogbah's game.

10 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

It has Willie McGinest written all over him if you assume all DEs/OLBs that are past 30 are the same.

Tamba is a different kind of player with all out effort and less diminished athleticism at this stage of his career than Willie McGinest. He still works hard at his craft and can be an explosive asset in situational 3rd downs. He could also mentor Myles and would come at a cheap 1 or 2 year price tag.

He had some injuries recently, but his work habits and commitment to the game are elite and that could do wonders to elevate Emmanuel Ogbah's game.

Didn't Andy Reid come out before the season and chastise Hali for going to the media about his lack of playing time and diminished role within the defense?

We can find much better players that are much younger and will come much cheaper.

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

Didn't Andy Reid come out before the season and chastise Hali for going to the media about his lack of playing time and diminished role within the defense?

We can find much better players that are much younger and will come much cheaper.

And Andy Reid later apologized openly due to "miscommunication" and "I love Tamba" as Tamba Hali has been a pillar for the Chiefs his entire storied career.... The issue was that as a Chiefs football pillar they fazed him out of the defense and did not communicate with him or give him the respect he thought he deserved.

All the team captains on their team vouched for Tamba Hali at that time as well.

1 hour ago, ohiogenius said:

I know we werent the most talented team but I hardly think our defense was so deficient in talent that we needed to play our DBs 10 yards off and a FS 30 yards down the field. 

Especially since our corners were both multiple year starters for other teams.  It’s not like we had a group of D3 UDFA rookies out there.

Archived