Draft Rumors

goldfishwars

9 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I think you're stretching things here.

Well, some people will stretch anything to fit their agenda. The guy has made 7 mock drafts and ALL of them have Allen going at #1 to Cleveland, with smug comments like "Prepare yourselves, this is DEFINITELY going to happen."

If he's right, hats off to him for sure, but it's funny.

I'm trying not to get my hopes up until it happens. If they go Allen at #1 I'm going to freak out.

13 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

If Cleveland goes Allen over Darnold, I imagine the Giants would sprint to the podium. 

I'd actually say the Bills would sprint to the podium, while the Giants start talking about what they're going to do with multiple 1st and 2nd round picks from 2018 to 2021. 

That #2 would probably fetch more than what RG3 went for.

8 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I'd actually say the Bills would sprint to the podium, while the Giants start talking about what they're going to do with multiple 1st and 2nd round picks from 2018 to 2021. 

That #2 would probably fetch more than what RG3 went for.

I think the CLE helplines would probably explode if Darnold got passed over Allen.  

Operator:  "Hello?  Cleveland helpline - we're here to help.   What's your problem and how can we help?"

Caller:  "They took Allen over Darnold!!!! Help me."

Operator:  "Dear God.  I don't know if we can help"

Before you laugh too hard DEN fans...that could be us, except insert <other player name> instead of Darnold.   O.o

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Well, some people will stretch anything to fit their agenda. The guy has made 7 mock drafts and ALL of them have Allen going at #1 to Cleveland, with smug comments like "Prepare yourselves, this is DEFINITELY going to happen."

If he's right, hats off to him for sure, but it's funny.

I'm trying not to get my hopes up until it happens. If they go Allen at #1 I'm going to freak out.

Please don’t reveal my globalist deep state agenda to the masses.

5 hours ago, minutemancl said:

If Cleveland goes Allen over Darnold, I imagine the Giants would sprint to the podium. 

You don't send your owner to a pro day for no reason 

Darnold was the pick as soon as he declared 

Now the Giants they've got to go QB either Rosen or Allen

24 minutes ago, brownie man said:

You don't send your owner to a pro day for no reason 

Darnold was the pick as soon as he declared 

Now the Giants they've got to go QB either Rosen or Allen

To be fair - owners shouldn’t use advice from a homeless dude, either.  Just saying anything is possible with Haslem in the mix. 

16 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I think you're stretching things here.

He may be, but ultimately, if we believe that Dorsey is the one pulling the strings and that Hue has ceded the majority of his stroke, Allen is more the Hue-prototype, Dorsey (who has a lot more history of taking the "safer" pick available) is someone I'd consider more likely to take Darnold.

All this may be moot, considering Jimmy Haslam definitely has not ceded his stroke (and correct me if I'm wrong, he was the one who made it clear he wanted a QB out of this draft) and he was sitting in the stands at USC's Pro Day chatting it up with Darnold's parents.  Now, maybe he's done similarly for Rosen or Allen, but I certainly hadn't heard about it if that was the case.

Here's the thing:

It's not like Darnold doesn't have a strong arm. It's just that Josh Allen has a generational arm. If he had to pick between an average armed QB and Allen, it'd probably be Allen. But he's got better options than Allen who still hit every mark necessary for arm strength.

85% chance the Browns are going to take Darnold #1 IMO.

We’ve already taken Darnold

now what’s interesting is this Houston workout of Lamar Jackson

my rationalization is they’re gonna sell teams on the idea he’s the next Watson

no one else will be able to do that. So it can help with some type of trade bait or setting things up for trades later 

On 3/21/2018 at 8:42 AM, Rich7sena said:

Darnold seems to be the best bet to go 1st overall based on what plugged in media draft guys are saying, but Josh Allen seem to be the more natural fit based on what the team leadership -- particularly John Dorsey -- has done in the past.

Dorsey's career began in Green Bay and he witnessed Brett Favre's career from start to finish. That influence showed itself last year when the Chiefs drafted Patrick Mahomes. Josh Allen is a chip of the old block considering Dorsey's "type". Lastly, the Todd Haley hiring is particularly telling. Haley always got the best out of Ben Roethlisberger despite reportedly not having a great relationship with him. Big Ben has been a common comparison for Allen, and I could see the stars lining up for him in Cleveland.

Legitimate question though.  While yes, we can go back and forth over how execs from the same tree tend to have similar preferences - it's arguable how much influence they had over the particular picks that were made.

I mean, Andy Reid was also the QB coach among other things for Green Bay during the Favre tenure, and I'd contend that when Mahomes was drafted that was more a Reid decision than Dorsey - it just seems odd that a team would empower a GM to be making that kind of decision and then "agree to part ways" with him a month later.  And while I can say that Mahomes fits the Andy Reid preferred profile of QB, I can't really say that Josh Allen does.  Now, if we go back to the QB's we can likely definitely agree were more "Dorsey's decision" - Alex Smith and Josh Allen are nearly diametrically-opposed.  Aaron Murray is more of the same.  Kevin Hogan?  Those all read like far more "safety over flash" types to me... and that ain't Josh Allen.

2 hours ago, brownie man said:

We’ve already taken Darnold

now what’s interesting is this Houston workout of Lamar Jackson

my rationalization is they’re gonna sell teams on the idea he’s the next Watson

no one else will be able to do that. So it can help with some type of trade bait or setting things up for trades later 

They wanted to meet that guy that is going to torment their team for the next 15 years. Lamar Jacksonville baby.

They don’t have a pick until the 3rd round, so I really don’t get the private workout and all.

Look, I fully expect Cleveland to draft Darnold at #1, but Allen has been working out with a pro type QB coach since the season ended and if his technique has improved significantly enough, that scouts and GM's feel he can definitely be a solid franchise QB, then Cleveland's pick could possibly surprise. 

We all base our judgement on his season's performance, but he is only a junior and pretty raw and now he has spent a great deal of post season time training and people on this site have no idea who he is now. Tomorrow's pro day will decide his fate, not what many of us have already concluded.

If he can demonstrate tomorrow that with improved technique, that he is accurate, why wouldn't Cleveland at least consider the possibility of drafting him #1 overall. With that arm and you throw in accuracy, he would be the second coming of John Elway. 

Now, I will be shocked if he moves past Darnold, but it is not out of the realm of possibilities!!!

3 hours ago, The LBC said:

Legitimate question though.  While yes, we can go back and forth over how execs from the same tree tend to have similar preferences - it's arguable how much influence they had over the particular picks that were made.

I mean, Andy Reid was also the QB coach among other things for Green Bay during the Favre tenure, and I'd contend that when Mahomes was drafted that was more a Reid decision than Dorsey - it just seems odd that a team would empower a GM to be making that kind of decision and then "agree to part ways" with him a month later.  And while I can say that Mahomes fits the Andy Reid preferred profile of QB, I can't really say that Josh Allen does.  Now, if we go back to the QB's we can likely definitely agree were more "Dorsey's decision" - Alex Smith and Josh Allen are nearly diametrically-opposed.  Aaron Murray is more of the same.  Kevin Hogan?  Those all read like far more "safety over flash" types to me... and that ain't Josh Allen.

I agree, I believe Reid had a large part in deciding who KC drafted and indeed, Mahomes could have been his pick. It sure looks like it now and our owner is a complete fool, who has zero sense about judging talent, so why would the hiring of Dorsey be any different than the last few FO's he hired, who all lasted 2 years and done!!!

It is bad enough that the owner stuck him with a HC who went 0-16 as a condition for taking the job, so why did he take it, or could the rumour around the NFL, indeed suggest that Reid was the one responsible for KC's success at the draft table.

We will find out next season, if our 0-16 HC can actually do his job!!!

Archived