The 2018 Kirk Cousins Megathread

Heimdallr

Cousins’ career has been marked by extremely impressive statistics but also a lack of wins, with only one postseason appearance with the Redskins. But he thinks the Vikings will give him more offensive weapons than he has had in the past.

Cousins: “So excited about what Stefon can do, what Adam Thielen can do, Kyle Rudolph. The list goes on and on, and I intend to throw to the running backs out of the backfield, so I intend to spread the ball around, get a lot of guys involved, and be a distributor. I do intend to have a large impact on games being that the ball is in my hands so much, but I am an extension of the guys around me.”

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-discover-with-kirk-cousins-and-sheldon-richardson-that-talent-draws-talent/477700073/

6 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

The data says what it says, but those rankings certainly make you tilt your head a bit, don’t they?

The data points that jump off the page to me are comparing the CMP/ATT to ACC/ATT. If you look at Keenum's numbers, you see he led the league with 11 innacurate passes that were completed, with McCown being in 2nd with 8. On the flip side, Newton, Kizer, and Mariota were at the top of the accurate passes not completed rankings with 18, 16, and 16 such passes. That right there is why receiving corps matter so much. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

The data points that jump off the page to me are comparing the CMP/ATT to ACC/ATT. If you look at Keenum's numbers, you see he led the league with 11 innacurate passes that were completed, with McCown being in 2nd with 8. On the flip side, Newton, Kizer, and Mariota were at the top of the accurate passes not completed rankings with 18, 16, and 16 such passes. That right there is why receiving corps matter so much. 

Looking at Cousins' stats here, he threw 30 accurate deep balls, and had 30 completions, meaning his receivers didn't help him much, but didn't hurt him either. I think it is very reasonable to assume that he will get some inaccurate balls completed this year. He also threw 10 tds on long throws last year, which put him in a tie for 6th place.

45 minutes ago, perrynoid said:

Missing in that analysis is how well their OL's blocked for them.  One would expect deep ball accuracy to suffer when a QB had to scramble for his life time and time again.  Just my 2 cents worth.

That may explain Cousins low numbers this season.

What do those stats say for 2015 or 2016?

11 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

That may explain Cousins low numbers this season.

That'll happen throwing to Vernon Davis, Jamison Crowder, Robert Davis, Josh Doctson, Ryan Grant, Maurice Harris, and Brian Quick while having zero run game and the 24th best O-Line.

Edited by Vikes_Bolts1228
  • Like 2