The 2018 Kirk Cousins Megathread

Heimdallr

2 minutes ago, perrynoid said:

Another possible explanation: a bad run still results in time off the clock.  I think the Saints had to eat up their time-outs to stop the clock, right?  Or has my brain been shrinking even faster than I thought?

Getting first downs and extending drives is an even better way to burn out the clock

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, perrynoid said:

Another possible explanation: a bad run still results in time off the clock.  I think the Saints had to eat up their time-outs to stop the clock, right?  Or has my brain been shrinking even faster than I thought?

Not for every game, not early in games, not even early in the fourth. Imo. 

PFF: Kirk Cousins is at his best when the whole nation watches

COUSINS HAS ACTUALLY PLAYED BETTER IN PRIME TIME

Kirk Cousins is 43-36-2 since he became a full-time starter for the Washington Redskins at the start of the 2015 season, but he's only 8-15-1 in prime-time games (or island games), which we define as any game that was not slated on Sunday afternoon. So, does this mean Cousins has played significantly worse in those games? To investigate this, we looked into the data and found that to be false, and according to our PFF passing grades, it is even the other way around. 

Cousins has actually played very well when the lights have been brightest, and he's actually been a mostly mediocre quarterback on Sunday afternoons. Interestingly, though, his efficiency in terms of expected points added per pass play is only slightly better in the prime-time sample, which suggests that his supporting cast hasn’t helped him as much in prime-time games.

normalized_values_qb-768x448.png

We want to take a closer look at Cousins' play in prime-time games compared to all other games through the chart above, which shows various measurements of quarterback play normalized to a scale between 0 and 1 (for measurements indicating bad play, 1 means the lowest rate). We note that he might indeed change his style to a more conservative approach in prime time (shown by the purple dots). And while his rate of positively graded throws is almost the same, he has produced fewer big-time throws most likely because of a lower average depth of target. However, he's easily made up for this by avoiding mistakes better than any other quarterback, as his rate of negatively graded throws is the lowest in the league when he is playing in prime time. He has also mostly avoided turnovers.

HIS SUPPORTING CAST HAS PERFORMED WORSE IN PRIME TIME

So, if Kirk Cousins hasn’t played worse, why has he lost so many prime-time games? Well, the answer is simple: Things he can’t control haven’t gone in his favor.

normalized_values_team-768x512.png

No team has been worse at rushing the football in prime time than Kirk Cousins’ teams (the Redskins from 2015-17 and the Vikings since 2018). This has led to his offense posting the same efficiency in both samples, even though the passing offense was better in prime time, as we see above. 

Offensive efficiency, in particular, can’t explain the discrepancy in the win-loss column, but the defensive performance apparently solves the riddle. On Sunday afternoons, Cousins has been used to watching his defense overwhelm the opposing quarterback, but opposing offenses have been largely successful against the Vikings in prime time. This is not surprising, and it's also not necessarily the defense’s fault. A defense is more of a function of the opposing offenses that they face, and, naturally, teams face better offenses and better teams in prime time. 

Our data confirms this intuitive statement, as the average PFFELO of Cousins’ opponents in prime time has been 55 points higher than in Sunday afternoon games, and the average career grade of the quarterbacks who have thrown passes against Cousins’ teams in prime time is on the level of Tony Romo and Deshaun Watson while opposing quarterbacks on Sunday afternoon have been on the level of Sam Bradford and Marcus Mariota.

Our analysis suggests that Kirk Cousins is a step above the average quarterback that teams tend to face on Sunday afternoon but a step below the average quarterback that teams tend to face in prime time. Along with some bad luck in small samples, this explains the large discrepancy of the win-loss records.

• Like 7

After watching him for last 2 seasons, I think he is an ok QB with limitations. My biggest problem with him is that he just isn't mobile at all and just doesn't take too many risks in big games ( I won't fully blame him for this as this might also have to do with play calling). You can probably win with him but everything else around him needs to be really really good for that to happen..like having a top class OL for starters. I don't expect Vikings to suddenly have a top OL all of sudden in next 1-2 years. I hope we do move on from him after the current contract runs out. If Vikings end up extending him, then this will probably gonna be a treadmill team for a while, especially with Zimmer at helm.

Copying this from the 49ers GDT

1 minute ago, Robb_K said:

Exactly THIS.  Kirk Cousins is NOT a QB that can win a game on his own.  He has flaws that need to be "covered up", or protected against being exploited, by his team. 

That is every QB. Otherwise Aaron Rodgers would have won more than 1 SB. 

The only way you will ever end up with a QB that is good enough to be competitive (like Kirk Cousins) is if you dedicate a large portion ($20M+) of your cap space to them, or if they are on a rookie contract. 

There are 12 QB's with more than $25M per year. More than a 3rd of the league, and the majority of those are worse QB's than Kirk. 

People act like Kirk's $28M is a massive, crippling obstruction, but that is just the NFL. That is what QB's make. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Copying this from the 49ers GDT

That is every QB. Otherwise Aaron Rodgers would have won more than 1 SB. 

The only way you will ever end up with a QB that is good enough to be competitive (like Kirk Cousins) is if you dedicate a large portion ($20M+) of your cap space to them, or if they are on a rookie contract. 

There are 12 QB's with more than $25M per year. More than a 3rd of the league, and the majority of those are worse QB's than Kirk. 

People act like Kirk's $28M is a massive, crippling obstruction, but that is just the NFL. That is what QB's make. 

But, The Vikings have a LOT of holes to fill to become really competitive.  For the team's sake (and Kirk's too). I hope he will be willing to take a really drastic team-friendly discount, way below his free agent "market rate"  because he wants to stay with a relatively good team, who can be strong team.  The Vikings need to be lucky and move up in the draft in a year when several really talented QBs are available, and draft a known "good talent". who is a sleeper, and turns into a phenom.  Cousins is a "stop-gap" to get us through the next few years, when we have to retool.  Griffen, Joseph, Rhodes, are on the downslope.  Kendricks, Barr, Smith are kids no more.  The Vikings will have trouble keeping their window open if they can't bring in a substantial number of youthful difference-makers.  They also need to get more "teachers" on their staff, to help develop their young players into competent first-stringers (especially on the OL, but also in most of the other areas.

10 hours ago, Robb_K said:

Alert play by Barbashev when The Ducks' goalie got stuck behind the net!!!  He just stole it and slipped it into the net.  Blues lead 4-1!!!

Is this our token NHL update or futbol?  xD

Edited by swede700

13 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

not sure if anyone shared this, but here is a thread of Cousins with mostly clean pockets missing bigger plays downfield.

Great thread...this for me is my issue with Kirk. He panics a lot whenever this team is up against good pass rushes.  Even on the plays when the pocket didn't collapse, he panics and goes for a check down. This is why I don't wanna put all the blame on Stefanski for Saturday debacle when the QB couldn't take advantage of these openings. Kirk plays relatively risk averse game in matches like this.