Need one of these CB's - the best of the rest

Brit Pack

39 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

For some reason I feel like if we don't get DRC we will have House and King as our starters this year.

House and King and a rookie is fine with me.  But we need to really spend that high pick on Landry or equivalent impact edge.

11 minutes ago, SSG said:

Given what’s left, you are probably right. Wouldn’t at all be surprised if Tramon isn’t added as well.  The result will likely be Green Bay not competing for a Super Bowl. 

Terrible, veteran miminimum CBs aren’t the answer and that is exactly what House is (Tramon as well). A bottom of the roster player caliber of player who’s got no upside and would make 99% of the teams in the league.

I don’t the answer for CB is to go older, slower and less athletic. 

To be fair, I don't think that has been Gute's plan. If you believe all the reports and rumors we've been more than willing to go after younger, high end corners. They just have chosen not to sign with us. 

Going the House, Williams, older vet route would not be our long term plan. Rookie picks this year would be. The vets would be placeholders until the rookies are ready. 

For this season at least it might have to be the solution. I think a combination of short term vets and long term early pick rookies could easily be enough to win this year. Especially with an improved pass rush. Our front 7 is looking very strong with the addition of Wilkerson and the likely addition of an early round EDGE. 

Add all this to a Pettine defense and I'm confident our defense will be stronger than it was in recent years. Strong enough in my eyes to go deep in the playoffs and potentially win a super bowl.

Just now, skibrett15 said:

House and King and a rookie is fine with me.  But we need to really spend that high pick on Landry or equivalent impact edge.

House played well when he was healthy. Idk why some are so low on bringing him back. 

1 hour ago, NormSizedMidget said:

I just can't imagine like some guy is a 5 time all pro and we can get him, just a made up guy, but he's 5 9 so they go nah, pass. I just cannot believe that is true.

Why have thresholds then at positions? They do it because it’s the foundation they build their evaluations on.

In another thread someone goes it should only apply to draft picks... and although I agree it’s also should apply to guys that will sign for a good bit of money too. Undrafted FAs go wild little to no cost.

If that’s truly the reason the past on him (although no one is discussing that Tyrann could of simply past on GB), then it’s because they weren’t comfort giving money to a guy that otherwise wouldn’t meet their thresholds and hasn’t been in their system. It’s a lot of unknowns. It’s not like all pros don’t disappear or lose their “all pro” going to a new system.

Its tough but at the end of the day they are going to trust their thresholds and evaluations. We all see what happened when Wolf went against it. He got burned.

Still blows my mind how okay people are with sticking with House another year. Either we’re watching different games or the guy just isn’t good. I dont feel strongly about these kinds of things unless I’m positive the results aren’t going to be passable.

1 minute ago, Rodjahs12 said:

Still blows my mind how okay people are with sticking with House another year. Either we’re watching different games or the guy just isn’t good. I dont feel strongly about these kinds of things unless I’m positive the results aren’t going to be passable.

What better options are there? Realistically? 

I'm just thinking out loud here. If I had to ask myself which position we're deepest in I would say RB. In which case Montgomery could be a tradable asset.

What RB needy teams out there could in theory would be interested in Montgomery in exchange for a corner?

One example I can think of right away is the Giants. Their RB group isn't very good and they clearly want an upgrade there. They have a shot at Barkley but I believe what they really want is to get their next franchise QB. If we dangle Montgomery and a mid to late round draft pick we might have a shot at getting Eli Apple.

I know we got rid of a locker room cancer but we're at a situation now where we might have to swallow our pride and bring in another known locker room cancer and hope that the change of scenery would do him good.

Of course it's just one example. Can you guys suggest other options?

1 minute ago, Ketchup said:

Sadly all the clear better options are gone now but I’d rather try something else for the sake of the unknown than go with an option we already know isn’t going to get us a step forward.

1 minute ago, Rodjahs12 said:

20 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

House played well when he was healthy. Idk why some are so low on bringing him back. 

Played well is a stretch. He was mediocre at best and was constantly hurt, which has been an issue his entire career. I'm OK bringing him back cheap as a depth signing as CB4 and that's it.

18 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

he's tall and not washed physically. he's better than an un-drafted free agent. has relationships w/ guys on the roster already. rather him than some other scrub. no way he's gonna fetch over 3m per i'd assume. 

8 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

Played well is a stretch. He was mediocre at best and was constantly hurt, which has been an issue his entire career. I'm OK bringing him back cheap as a depth signing as CB4 and that's it.

I'm not ready to say mediocre at best.  The secondary was putrid.  House got beat on some double moves, but he played really well in a few other games such as vs NO.

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

I'm not ready to say mediocre at best.  The secondary was putrid.  House got beat on some double moves, but he played really well in a few other games such as vs NO.

And TB.

The problem is you can't rely on him. He's a perfect #4, except that he can't play inside. 

I'd love to have House back on the 2mil deal he signed last year. Get a guy like McCourty and draft a guy in the second round. Run with McCourty/King/Rookie/House

Not great but it's not bleeding anymore. 

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Instead of listing the positions our depth sucks at, I'll list the ones we're set at:

QB, RB, DL.

We need all 12 of those picks.

Ugh, hope we  don't draft 12 guys. Hope we are done drafting guys who end up on other teams. Quality over quantity is my draft mantra.

Archived