Who is the greatest Head Coach and Quarterback in your team's history?

PFM18

Simple (or maybe not in some cases) question. Who in your opinion was/is the best Head Coach and Quarterback in your team's history?

Baltimore/Indianapolis Colts

Head Coach

A few names could be considered for this one.

- Weeb Ewbank, who was the first to 100 wins and won a couple of NFL Championships.

- Don Shula, who led the Colts to Super Bowl III (we all know what happened).

- Don McCafferty, who took the Colts to their first Superbowl win at Superbowl V.

-Tony Dungy, who matched Ewbank's Colts win record of 112 and also took the team to a Superbowl win at Superbowl XLI.

Summary

To me it's between Ewbank and Dungy, as they both won championships and both hold the record for most Colts wins. They also both had top QB's which we'll get to later.

Personally I have to lean towards Dungy, as whilst Ewbank brought in Johnny U which led the Colts to success. Manning had already been there for a few years before Dungy came in and even when Dungy came in success wasn't instant. Ewbank deserves the utmost credit for getting Unitas and leading the Colts to championships but with Dungy he took a team with a QB that everyone expected to achieve success and hadn't yet so the pressure was building but they managed it. I do give it to Dungy but it's a very close call.

Quarterback

Hoo Boy. Speaking of close call.

Unitas and Manning are both NFL Legends. 

Summary

Peyton Manning is awesome. He's one of the main reasons for Lucas Oil Stadium, why Indiana became interested in football, and brought Indianapolis a Super Bowl. Peyton Manning is the best INDIANAPOLIS Colts QB of all time.

However in full Colts history, it has to be Johnny Unitas. He won an NFL Championship 3 times including one Superbowl. Peyton has the stats but Johnny's aren't bad in comparison. 3 MVP's to Peyton's 5. 10 Pro Bowls to Peyton's 14. Peyton does lead in pretty much all of the passing stats but Unitas is the Colts, sort of like how Staubach is the Cowboys or Otto Graham is the Browns.

Peyton will always be my favourite NFL player, but Johnny Unitas is the best Colts QB in team history.

Denver Broncos

Head Coach

Summary

Mike Shanahan. No question about it. Most Superbowls. Record wins. 

Mentions have to go to Gary Kubiak, who also brought a Superbowl to Denver. Robert "Red" Miller who took the Broncos (with the Orange Crush)  to their first Superbowl in 1978, and Dan Reeves who got to three Superbowls in the 80's but unfortunately couldn't win one.

Shanahan not only won, but repeated. He is the best.

Quarterback

Oh Peyton......

You know how Unitas is the Colts. Well Elway is exactly that for the Broncos.

Summary

A bit easier this time. Peyton had great seasons in Denver, even breaking the TD record in 2013 with 55. When it comes to the 2015 Superbowl Peyton wasn't at his best, even getting benched for Brock Osweiler at one point.

Manning got to 2 Superbowls with Denver and won one. John Elway got to 5, yes 5 Superbowls with the Broncos. Yes he only won 2 of them but the fact that he had so much relative success over an extended period with this team means he is the greatest QB in Broncos history.

I don't think even Peyton Manning would disagree with that one.

49ers: 

Head Coach - Bill Walsh. One of the greatest head coaches in NFL history. This is a no brainer slam dunk 

Quarterback is a little harder because we have been fortunate to have some great ones. Obviously though, Joe Montana is probably #1. Though I will say that to me, he's number one based solely on accomplishments of what he did in his career in the playoffs / super bowls, teams wins, etc. Steve Young in my opinion was the better and more skilled quarterback actually playing the position. 

It's not even close. It's Bill Belichick.

Any coach we've had before Kraft really hasn't been historically notable. Ray Berry was the best pre Kraft coach who had 5 winning seasons, 1 losing season, two double digit win seasons, and a Super Bowl appearance. Then Kraft came and we had Parcell's, Carroll, and Belichick. Parcell's did some really good things here, but he never really got off the ground and he bailed out too fast. Carroll never had a losing season but he was trending in the wrong direction. 

Those two did help set a bit of a foundation, but Belichick blew everyone out of the water. Of coaches with over 100 games only John Madden and Vince Lombardi have greater win percentages. And that's mostly because of Belichick's time on the Browns. Belichick's nearly doubled them in wins in his time on the Patriots and with nearly twice as many games coaches Belichick's win percentage on the Patriots is .739 to Lombardi's .740. Really it should be the Lombardi/Belichick trophy. He only has one true peer in the history of the NFL.

16 minutes ago, Malik said:

Outside of the Raiders with Madden and Flores or the Giants with Parcells and Coughlin is there really a debate with any other franchise?

In terms of HC's, Dallas's could be debated

In terms of QB's. Packers, Giants, Cowboys, Eagles just to name a few all have valid debates in my opinion.

Archived