WR Jeff Janis signs with the Cleveland Browns

SteelKing728

Jeff Janis will always be remembered for his improbable catch on Aaron Rodgers' improbable Hail Mary during a loss to the Arizona Cardinals in the 2015 NFC Divisional Round.

The rub for Janis is that he's barely made any other catches. Seventeen, in fact, over the course of a four-year career in which he's been relegated to special teams.

The Browns announced Friday they signed the former Packers receiver. The news was first reported by Good Morning Football's Peter Schrager.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000924026/article/free-agency-roundup-jeff-janis-signs-with-browns

For what it's worth, while he's only a reserve WR, he is a very good special teams player. Top 5 gunner.

Best wishes to Janis.  I wonder if he'll play any snaps or catch any passes?  

I'd almost feel like with Cleveland's millions of draft picks, they'd almost want to be using their 53 spots on D+D prospects with aspirations higher than gunners.  

4 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Has he done anything outside of that one game where he caught those two Hail Mary?

Nope but to be fair, he was never really given a chance either. Rumors are/were that he really had a hard time with the play book and Rodgers didn’t trust him so he never saw the field unless injuries hit. He’s got everything you’d want in an NFL WR physically though. 

7 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Rumor had it that he was unable to focus on football and really learn how to be a pro.  He really likes the outdoors, especially hunting.

Top special team talent.  Great bottom of the depth chart WR to have around.  

His social media was always flooded with hunting related posts, even during the season. Could be some truth to this.

He was always the fan favorite type of player, and was one of my favorites. Only positive I see as a Packers fan is he’s closer to me now so i can see him play in person. Gives me extra reason to watch the hometown team when the Packers aren’t on.

11 hours ago, lark25 said:

Was never given a fair chance in GB.  Would like to see him given the chance burning it up on the outside maybe as a Z.  

It wasn't that he didn't get a fair chance, it's more there was always 4 or 5  receivers better than him that you'd rather have on the field each game. And when he did get called upon because of injuries, he didn't do anything.

As a Packers fan who goes to some of camp, he got a chance. At one point, the year after those hail Marys, he was given every chance to fight for the #3/4 spot and came out of TC and came out #6 behind Geronimo Allison, a rather unathletic UDFA rookie. He couldn't figure out the mental part of the game.

Archived