Patriots trade WR Brandon Cooks to Rams

49erurtaza

Interesting difference between Watkins and Cooks:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/04/03/rams-patriots-brandin-cooks-trade-first-round-pick-draft

Though the Rams led the league in scoring last year and finished 11-5, a persistent problem they had was defenses not feeling compelled to double-team Sammy Watkins, who often aligned on the weak side. Instead of helping on Watkins, the safety to that side would help inside against L.A.’s downfield crossing routes (usually run by Cooper Kupp). That help won’t be available now because Cooks has north/sound speed that demands a safety stay over the top. He also has the quickness to hurt you on east/west routes, which will allow him to be productive from any spot in the formation (Watkins didn’t necessarily offer this dimension). Our Albert Breer says Rams head coach Sean McVay has long been fond of Cooks and explored trading for him last year, before the Saints traded Cooks to New England.

1 minute ago, The LBC said:

Just went back and did some research.  Pats lost the Super Bowl XLVI to the Giants and then traded up from each of their two 1st's (with Cincinnati from the pick they'd received from the Saints to go up and get Chandler Jones and then with Denver from their natural pick to go get Donta Hightower).

I was wrong about the draft following Super Bowl XLII though.  They had a Top 10 pick from the Niners that year (and had to forfeit their natural 1st due to Deflategate) and actually traded back with the Saints that year.

That was how the 49ers ended up with Joe Staley I'm pretty sure, and I think the Pats ended up with Mayo. Worked well for both 

58 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I'm torn on this one. Cooks is an incredible talent, but I hate losing a first. And we're stuck in another situation where we just acquired a walk-year WR. We better extend him quickly. The nice part is that Cooks has all off-season to learn the offense and build rapport with Goff.

Cooks agent will ask for the moon in an extension "quickly" ... Everyone knows he got the leverage

54 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

This doesn't make sense. It's a superstition.

No. We ended up with the #1 scoring offense. :P

Did you see what Sammy got paid? xD

#1 scoring offense with the receiver they traded a ton of draft captial for basically being blegh and they let him walk and lost on their investment.

They didn't need cooks and I think it's going to be a repeat of last year....especially with all the players they'll have to pay next year. 

3 hours ago, Supersuavesky said:

Watkins was pretty much non-existent for most games.

Don't be one of those fans that say this after they're gone. Watkins gave legitimacy to our receiving Corp. The threat of him popping off was always there.

As for the trade idk... It's still sinking in. Maybe Snead wasn't allowed to pick a player until the 3rd when Fisher was around so he figures screw it.

25 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Okay, Thuney and Mitchell.  Doesn't really change anything.  The Patriots could have kept Chandler Jones for two more years by applying the tag, at which point they would have gotten at least a third round compensatory pick for him.  It was a bad trade.  They got Thuney and Mitchell for a franchise pass rusher when, had they just let him hit free agency, they would have gotten at worst a third round pick for him.  There is no way anybody could form a compelling argument that says the Chandler Jones trade was a good trade for the Patriots in the long run. 

Trading Chandler Jones for a second round pick when they could have had him for another year, plus a potential second year on the tag only to get at least a third round compensatory pick for him when he hit free agency was not a good trade.

The issue is that Jones’ career trajectory wasn’t what it is now at the time of the trade. In NE, he was an inconsistent, oft-knicked up but very talented pass rusher. The value they got back was low, but you don’t pay that type of player $16M/year. 

If the Jets traded Christian Hackenburg for a first but he goes down as the GOAT, you’d only be using hindsight bias to say it was a bad trade. Not that Chandler is as bad as Hack, but looking back, it didn’t make sense for NE to tie up that much money (even with the tags) into a player that hasn’t been overly productive.

I'm not going to say this is a bad trade.  The Rams have a very high powered offense and I really like adding Cooks to that mix.  Cooks is really good and he compliments what they do in the passing game very well.  Cooks, Gurley, Woods, Kupp and those tight ends is going to be really scary.

It sucks giving up a first rounder, but the Rams clearly have heavy Super Bowl aspirations, as they should have.  Winning the division and making the postseason isn't good enough.  The Rams see this as their window to try and win a championship and they're making moves to get it done.  You gotta respect it.

Archived