Patriots trade WR Brandon Cooks to Rams

49erurtaza

2 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

A soulless ginger with a Super Bowl ring. B|

He has a voucher good for one ring, but he won't actually have the ring until August or September.  You never know.  He could have a bandsaw accident and lose all of his digits.  Then, at best, he'd have a Super Bowl pendant.

2 hours ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

Eagles fan base letting the whole league know how annoying they can be when they finally win it.

Have to make-up for all the years that the rest of the league and especially our division rivals were annoying to us about zero rings. ;)

53 minutes ago, The LBC said:

He has a voucher good for one ring, but he won't actually have the ring until August or September.  You never know.  He could have a bandsaw accident and lose all of his digits.  Then, at best, he'd have a Super Bowl pendant.

My dude would just rock some gucci slides with it on one of his toes then.

Interesting news to wake up to. My initial thought was that we're set for a rebuild, but after actually thinking about it I like this trade. It's gonna make draft night much more interesting and gives us plenty of room to manoeuvre for a trade up, a trade down, or a trade for OBJ. 

We're getting Edelman and Mitchell back on offense so Cooks' production can be replicated. I'm good and hopefully the NFC can beat themselves up enough that the Pats can win another SB against a battle-weakened NFC opponent. 

46 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Have to make-up for all the years that the rest of the league and especially our division rivals were annoying to us about zero rings. ;)

Oh don't worry I know how you feel. I'm also a raptors fan.

You seem classy. If your gonna banter keep it classy, your other buddy over there sounds like a IQ dropper.

8 hours ago, areksoo said:

In an even trade a 23rd and a 31st pick is only worth a 9th pick at best.  But the Jets set the bar very high overpaying to get to the 3rd pick, so NE would be getting an astounding deal.  Even with Belichick's Jedi mind tricks, this will never happen.  Besides Buffalo is waving their 12th and 21st picks (and who knows what else) and nobody is biting.

I think they probably need to include 40 as well and send it to the Browns not the Giants.

Think of it as 2 separate deals. New England send 23, 31, 40 and next year’s 2nd rounder to Cleveland. The Browns pocket the two 2nd founders and trade 23 and 31 to the Giants for Beckham. 

7 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Makes them weaker in experience offensively? 

Why would it stop them?  If they had concrete proof Gronkowski was coming back, we'd have heard it by now. 

I never denied the value they got.  They got incredible value for him.  They got Cooks for a year and they moved up 9 spots in the first round by waiting a year.  It was a great return on their investment.  I never denied that. 

Now you're getting into why it was a bad move.  Cooks is a good player.  He opened things up vertically.  He and Brady weren't on the same page and still managed to connect for over 1000 yards, 7 touchdowns and 16.6 yards per catch.  That was their first year working together. 

They really don't have all that many.  They are a worse passing offense because of this trade. 

Trading Cooks added a hole.  No receiver they draft 23rd overall will match what Cooks would have.  At best it's a lateral move for them offensively. 

Don't know why this perception exists.  I FREQUENTLY credit the way Belichick runs the Patriots.  As a matter of fact, I had a miniature meltdown when the Patriots traded for Dorsett last year because I felt he was going to be really good for them at the cost of a third string QB.  So this is a blatant lie actually, but if it makes you feel better about the argument...

Okay, Thuney and Mitchell.  Doesn't really change anything.  The Patriots could have kept Chandler Jones for two more years by applying the tag, at which point they would have gotten at least a third round compensatory pick for him.  It was a bad trade.  They got Thuney and Mitchell for a franchise pass rusher when, had they just let him hit free agency, they would have gotten at worst a third round pick for him.  There is no way anybody could form a compelling argument that says the Chandler Jones trade was a good trade for the Patriots in the long run. 

We could carry this argument on for a couple pages if you want.  You could make your points and counterpoints, to which I'd respond, but the bottom line on both points...

Trading Cooks hurts the Patriots in the short term when their QB is going to be 41 at the start of this season.
Trading Chandler Jones for a second round pick when they could have had him for another year, plus a potential second year on the tag only to get at least a third round compensatory pick for him when he hit free agency was not a good trade.

Lol, spare me the you frequently credit Belichick and the Patriots. You were relentless during deflategate, constantly bring up spygate, pretty sure you were part of the "refs helped the Patriots" during the AFCC game, etc. I'm pretty sure there's a reason why the perception exists.

"Trading Cooks makes the Patriots worse next season"

-This exact mindset is exactly why Belichick continues to run circles around the league and is why the Patriots have sustained success under Belichick for such a long time. It's not a year to year basis. He's always has the future in mind. Is a rookie WR going to step into Cooks shoes next year and replicate what he  did? No. Could pick #23 potentially turn into a defensive player one a cheap, 4-year contract have more of an impact in the long run than 1 more season of Cooks? Of course it could. This (and the Chandler Jones trade) are what makes Belichick so great; he makes these decisions a year in advance vs. a year too late.

-White/Burkhead/Gronk/Edelman/Hogan/Mitchell/Dorsett is not a formidable group of pass catchers? Interesting. If you missed the SB, they just put up 33 points and 600 yards of total offense against one of the best defenses in the league, without Cooks. Has the offense gotten worse this off-season? Sure. But, a lot of these players leaving were luxuries to the Patriots and speaks to Belichick's ability to build a deep roster. Having 4 RB's as good as Lewis, Burkhead, White and Gilisslee was a luxury. Having Danny Amendola as your 4th/5th WR was a luxury. Having someone like Cooks to stretch the field on top of having all these other weapons was a luxury. I'd be willing to bet they're still the top offense in the AFC next season.

-I'm not bashing Cooks, I liked him a lot as a player and I constantly argued with Patriots fans who had unrealistic expectations from him all season. The Patriots got great value, you're not denying that. I don't see how you can say wow they got great value, but this is a bad trade for the Patriots because it hurts them next season. That's not's how trade evaluation goes. You're completely ignoring the return they could get, because X rookie won't step in next year and fill Cooks shoes. Sounds fair.

"When their QB is going to be 41 at the start of next season"

-Yeah, good thing the have 2 1sts and 2 2nd round picks now. Not like they could use one of those to draft a QB they like, or anything"

"There's no way the Chandler Jones trade can be spun as a good move in the long run"

-Lol, ok dude. In case you missed it, they won a SB without Chandler Jones and were a few plays away from winning another. Fact of the matter is, if they gave Jones that contract, they wouldn't have been able to afford to construct a roster so deep to make the SB run they just made with all their injuries. Heck, we probably wouldn't having this discussion about Cooks right now. Belichick's ability to build a deep roster (while being docked picks; I might add) is a huge reason why we even made the SB this season. There's no way this happens if we've paid Chandler Jones the monster contract that the Patriots knew he was going to get, and got. Bring up the sacks all you want; the guy disappeared down the stretch and in games it mattered here and is asked to do things completely differently in Arizona. I think that trade was a win win for both teams and is hardly a terrible move on Belichick's record.

Just now, 1ForTheThumb said:

Lol, spare me the you frequently credit Belichick and the Patriots. You were relentless during deflategate, constantly bring up spygate, pretty sure you were part of the "refs helped the Patriots" during the AFCC game, etc. I'm pretty sure there's a reason why the perception exists.

What does any of that have to do with personnel moves?

He's always has the future in mind.

Which is why it hurts the Patriots in the short term, as I've said.

-White/Burkhead/Gronk/Edelman/Hogan/Mitchell/Dorsett is not a formidable group of pass catchers?

Not compared to the rest of the league.

, ok dude. In case you missed it, they won a SB without Chandler Jones and were a few plays away from winning another.

And what does this have to do with the compensation of Thuney/Mitchell compared to a guy who had 28 sacks in two years?  I don't care if the Patriots cured cancer after trading Chandler Jones, they lost that trade. 

I'll keep talking about it once you've changed your diaper, but not until then, so you might as well drop it.  I think trading Cooks hurts them for this coming year and you can't seem to agree.  Why carry this on? 

54 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I'll keep talking about it once you've changed your diaper, but not until then, so you might as well drop it.  I think trading Cooks hurts them for this coming year and you can't seem to agree.  Why carry this on? 

I don't disagree with that, it's that's your overall point. But I think that's 1) only one way to analyze the trade 2) the off-season isn't over; this move is only 1-piece of the puzzle.

Having Cooks in this offense was a luxury. And like you've previously mentioned, the Patriots have holes to fill. More of them on the defensive side of the ball, as we saw in the SB.

I'll change my diaper shortly, wouldn't want to do that before my morning coffee. It's too damn early in the morning to be debating NFL Trades.

2 hours ago, paul-mac said:

I think they probably need to include 40 as well and send it to the Browns not the Giants.

Think of it as 2 separate deals. New England send 23, 31, 40 and next year’s 2nd rounder to Cleveland. The Browns pocket the two 2nd founders and trade 23 and 31 to the Giants for Beckham. 

Given the Patriots 2nd round pick will likely end up near the end of the round the value of the picks is roughly 20% over the value... which would be a good deal, but the Jets overpaid by 38% with a team looking to trade down.  

As sad as it sounds it'll probably take at least the 23rd, 31st, 40th with next year's 1st and 3rd.... possibly more because who knows what the Bills or Cards are offering.  That price is super high for what will likely be the 4th QB selected.  This isn't happening. 

4 hours ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

Sorry? Didnt catch ya. Was busy looking at our 5 rings.

64 years of mediocrity doesn't overthrow 20. Quick maths big man

meanwhile in the 2kEra of Football you have nothing ....  Typical livining in the past 

Eagles been to the playoffs 11 out of 18 season  with 6 NFCCG and 2 Super Bowls 

Cowboys  6 out of 18 .... with 2 meaningless wildcard wins .   

5 hours ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

Oh don't worry I know how you feel. I'm also a raptors fan.

You seem classy. If your gonna banter keep it classy, your other buddy over there sounds like a IQ dropper.

You are right. I hope to one day stick my nose into some harmless respectful trash talk that had literally nothing to do with me and then start insulting people. I can only dream of being thst classy one day.

Archived