Patriots trade WR Brandon Cooks to Rams

49erurtaza

5 minutes ago, The Third Rider said:

I doubt the Pats are using this to trade for OBJ or a QB in the first, they need a LT badly and need to supplement their defense.

Yeah, I don't see the Pats trading up for QB. I don't even think they have the assets to get high enough to get one of the big four. Sharp on twitter brought up an excellent point about how the Pats have had one top 50 pick the last three years. This trade seems to me that they are trying to reload with an infusion of youth on defense. They got exposed badly in the Super Bowl and they need some athleticism in the front 7. 

1 hour ago, paul-mac said:

I just dreamed up this three team scenario:

Cleveland gets Odell Beckham

New York Giants get 23 and 31

New England get 4.

Giants get their two firsts for Odell, the Patriots get a cheap trade up into the top 5 and Cleveland gets to pair OBJ with Landry and Gordon to give Darnold some great firepower.

Awaiting obligatory wildly-unrealistic counter-offer from hopeful Browns fan whereby in the 3-team trade the Browns acquire Odell Beckham and one  (or both) of the New England first-round picks in return for (wait for it!) Corey Coleman- because, see, he's fast and was once a #15 first-round pick himself, so of course any team would consider him acceptable value for Odell Beckham, or a first-round pick, or maybe both, cuz, you know, they'd be getting Corey Coleman!

(And Cleveland would be getting rid of him)

Image result for Corey Coleman

1 hour ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Well, @jrry32 @stl4life07 @jjab360.  I guess McVay felt like he was missing that 4.4 speed deep threat after all ;).

Never said he wasn’t. I just said the offense wouldn’t miss Watkins as much as people think. I’ve been on the record saying I wanted Watkins back, I wanted OBJ. The Rams wanted both those guys. So McVay wanted that true speed guy his “DeSean Jackson”. Well he got it. I’m a happy camper lol.

54 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

If the Patriots are doing all this to position themselves to trade up to get one of the QBs, the Jimmy G trade just looks worse and worse.

They really screwed the pooch on that one

The timing was off to keep Brady and Jimmy and they clearly wanted to role with Brady for several more years. People have to realize Jimmy could live up to all the hype and be a Rivers/Romo level QB and still never make a Super Bowl, while you have a guy who averages one every three years. 

1 hour ago, Supersuavesky said:

Watkins was pretty much non-existent for most games.

Hi! @jrry32 and the other insider-knowledge Rams' fans out there. We had discussed in the middle of the season what was the matter with Sammy Watkins (under my exciting thread "What's Wrong With Sammy Watkins?")- why he never seems to live up to the enormous talent he was supposed to have. The Rams' fans gave some very good responses, pro and con, for which I am appreciative. It was a real education. Could I ask now, post-season, Sammy gone from the team, and now the Brandin Cooks acquisition, presumably to replace Sammy as the outside speed receiver- is there any other perspective on this? How come Sammy Watkins seems always to disappoint? And is Cooks a markedly-better WR?

I'm pretty lukewarm on what the Rams are doing.

A 30+ year old CB.

A young CB who has a propensity for gambling and giving up big plays on top of having attitude problems. While not being an expert on the St. Louis secondary of late, he doesn't seem to be a big upgrade over what they had.

Suh - if this works for them, it's because they're pairing him with Donald on a short contract. So you may get a fully motivated Suh playing for a bigger contract and with enough talent around him to matter. But I question whether Suh really has the drive in him at this point.

Cooks - I don't think the Pats deal him unless they didn't like a lot of what they saw.

All of these guys are kind of sleezy. Meanwhile, they aren't paying their own homegrown players. Team chemistry matters and the Rams last year weren't so good to where I'd be like, "We can buy a championship!" It all seems really shortsighted to me.

Archived