Cheese Curds: Green Bay Packers Updates

swede700

8 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Would the "owners" be happy for them conceding that they aren't a SB team (which is what they'd be doing), despite having been to the NFCC the last 2 years (and 3 out of the last 5)?  Because they certainly aren't getting to the Super Bowl anytime soon with Jordan Love at QB (outside of some miracle).    

Depends how they view Love. Maybe he showed them something last year in practice and film study. They have to roll with him eventually, and it's not like Packers fans really knew what they had in Rodgers when Favre was still playing. Plus, if Rodgers wants to force his way out, the "owners" would have to deal with it anyway. 

And again, the Packers are the same team this year that they were last year (so far). NFCC seems to be their ceiling. Especially with Brady and the Bucs returning every starter. 

• Like 1

Just now, wcblack34 said:

And again, the Packers are the same team this year that they were last year (so far). NFCC seems to be their ceiling. Especially with Brady and the Bucs returning every starter. 

OON, I'm not buying into the Bucs getting to the SB again next year.  I can't get over the fact that they were a 7-5 team at the time they played the Vikings.  It took a late run for them to even make the playoffs, let alone get to and win the Super Bowl...returning all their starters just compounds that to me.  I liken them to what the Vikings have been over the years...having a great year, returning most, if not all their starters, and then falling flat on their faces.  While I think Brady alone can get them to the playoffs, I don't see them doing much, if any, damage in them.   

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

OON, I'm not buying into the Bucs getting to the SB again next year.  I can't get over the fact that they were a 7-5 team at the time they played the Vikings.  It took a late run for them to even make the playoffs, let alone get to and win the Super Bowl...returning all their starters just compounds that to me.  I liken them to what the Vikings have been over the years...having a great year, returning most, if not all their starters, and then falling flat on their faces.  While I think Brady alone can get them to the playoffs, I don't see them doing much, if any, damage in them.   

Maybe, but "on paper" the Bucs are superior to the Packers and the team to beat at the moment. While they could regress, I don't see anything the Packers have done this offseason that makes up ground.

Rodgers and Brady are both due a visit from the guy who causes the change from great/wonderful to old and arthritic!  I know I've met that gentleman.  If I could remember his name I would give him a piece of my damn mind!!!  Somebody pass me the Metamucil!!!

24 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Rodgers and Brady are both due a visit from the guy who causes the change from great/wonderful to old and arthritic!  I know I've met that gentleman.  If I could remember his name I would give him a piece of my damn mind!!!  Somebody pass me the Metamucil!!!

You may want to give him a piece of your mind; unfortunately, the brother of this unnamed gentleman may already be dulling that once brilliant mind!. Leaving you old, arthritic, and senile 😆 

I don't think it will happen but if the packers really believe in Love and there is any friction between Rodgers and the Packers or they think that they've gone as far as they can with Rodgers,  this might be a good of a time as any to trade him.  They could trade back from 3 and still draft 1 of the top WR or that Pitts

• 2 weeks later...

The Packers relationship with Aaron Rodgers has gotten so ugly that the reigning NFL MVP has apparently now decided that he would rather retire than play in Green Bay.  

According to NFL Media's Ian Rapoport, Rodgers is seriously considering retirement and it's something that could happen "unless the situation [in Green Bay] is repaired to his liking." If he does retire, hosting "Jeopardy" could be a post-retirement option for Rodgers. 

The only piece of good news here for the Packers is that based on Rapoport's phrasing, there may be a way for the Packers to salvage their relationship with their star QB. If the situation can be "repaired to his liking," that at least leaves the door open for the Packers to fix things. 

Of course, we don't know what the Packers would have to do to repair the situation. It's possible that Rodgers wants a contract extension, it's possible that he wants to see Jordan Love traded or it could even be possible that he wants to see someone in the front office fired -- According to Pro Football Talk, Rodgers "doesn't like anyone in the front office" -- or it could be a combination of all of these things or none of these things. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/aaron-rodgers-is-now-considering-retirement-unless-the-packers-fix-things-to-his-liking-per-report/?fbclid=IwAR10XFnkwRX2qBQ7UmsubKpCrnO_ZhxKQ9XhoXbIR4Gcr8LVdq_REqqNxPU

1 minute ago, vike daddy said:

I don't understand the Packers' front office's game plan.

They were likely expecting to have to do something next year, but really weren't all that prepared for to have to do something now.

5 minutes ago, perrynoid said:

Hubris.  By their moves (or non-moves), the Packer FO wants to "show" their QB, and the rest of the world, who is "boss".

Rodgers helped them out so much last year though (and himself) by playing so well. he maximized the value they could have had from trading him.

i mean, they could have had the #3 pick in this draft, and more!

• Like 1

So what happens next? Well, if Green Bay refuses to make changes in the personnel department or somehow can't find a way to repair Rodgers’ relationship with Gutekunst, then the team’s minicamp in June becomes Rodgers' first opportunity to skip a mandatory team activity. After that, a training camp holdout could follow. And if it’s pushed to the regular season, he could make a retirement declaration to the team, similar to what Carson Palmer engaged in during the 2011 season when he refused to report to the Cincinnati Bengals.

The agent who played a large part in engineering that move for Palmer was David Dunn. It's the same David Dunn who has been Rodgers’ longtime agent. Ultimately, it was Dunn who drew the hard line in the sand for Palmer back in 2011, making it clear to the Bengals that Palmer would rather end his career than continue with the Bengals and team owner Mike Brown. In response, Brown dug in and challenged Palmer to follow through on his retirement, which lasted until the then-Oakland Raiders suddenly needed a quarterback. Dunn helped facilitate a workout for Palmer and the Raiders' coaching staff and then started working the parameters of a deal between Oakland and Cincinnati for Palmer’s rights. A deal was ultimately consummated before the 2011 trade deadline.

If Rodgers and Green Bay dig in heading into the 2021 season, that Palmer scenario could easily play out again. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/if-packers-remain-dug-in-against-trading-aaron-rodgers-a-holdout-or-retirement-is-possible-061232959.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly9ibGVhY2hlcnJlcG9ydC5jb20v&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAJF-w2hDW1tNtPa-OuI657airk9-4h0gMYVeQJR8rrjnyJo1fiZQph5t6zoN7QngTsWMMNszr-hGMrOlMOT7TBw_XGtx5DYiOmrbsHBCEmqntMEnP30j6IuuOxUReAD5DfMMwd-xp05j8JncM1VidWgmnsZRVEydU_hTAryonK-6