Cheese Curds: Green Bay Packers Updates

swede700

Bakhtiari was chosen to this year’s Pro Bowl roster and is one of the best offensive linemen in the NFL. His stellar play is a major contributor to Aaron Rodgers‘ MVP candidacy, and to the Packers’ success as a team. Although the diagnosis won’t be confirmed until Bakhtiari has an MRI, it is believed to be a torn ACL, which could also affect his availability for the start of the 2021 season.

Just last month, Bakhtiari signed a four-year, $103.5 million contract that made him the highest-paid offensive lineman in NFL history.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/12/31/report-packers-lose-david-bakhtiari-to-season-ending-knee-injury-in-practice/

I'm glad Bakhtiari got that contract. He deserved it and wouldn't get anything close to it now had he waiting until after the season. This still really stinks for him, but that contract does help make it not as bad. I still feel bad for him.

As far as what it does to the Packers, it stinks for them too. A big difference is that I I can't be bothered to feel bad for them.

Edited by Cearbhall

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, RpMc said:

95% sure that he'll come back.

Talk to any player that just lost the big game, and may rightfully think that his coach took it out of his hands, and you're likely to get a lukewarm reaction to questions about the future.

While you’re likely right. Rodgers has never really been one to say things without meaning. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

While you’re likely right. Rodgers has never really been one to say things without meaning. 

True but he is probably referencing all the free agents they have coming up, guys who were crazy productive but got paid almost nothing this past season.  That is not going to happen again and something has to give because they have less cap space than the Vikings.  27th in the NFL.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2021/

Posted this in another threat as well but those big three, cannot find three players on any team offensively that were as productive as these guys and got paid as little as all three did.  This year those three combined got less than $2 million dollars total in salaries, none of them made over 700,000 this year.  

Aaron Jones
Robert Tonyan
Allen Lazard

They also have choices to make with Corey Linsley, Lewis, Lane Taylor, Kevin King, Lancaster, Redmond and Jamaal Williams who are all free agents also.

Rodgers is not going anywhere but some of his teammates might be.  

• Like 1

I do not think Rodgers' end goal is to get out of Green Bay. I think he is angling for a financial apology from the team. The team has little choice but to give it to him. A simple contract adjustment to convince Rodgers there are no designs on having Love replace him until Rodgers is ready for that to happen will smooth things over.

If Rodgers wanted out of Green Bay all he has to do is what he learned from Brett Favre back when Rodgers was backing Favre up. Just "retire" and if not traded come back a couple days before the season. The Packers would have to leave cap room available in case he comes back and wouldn't want to tie up that amount of money for too long. Either that or they don't reserve the cap space for the possibility and then they are really in a tough spot when he announces his annual unretirement.

Edited by Cearbhall
  • Like 2