All Things Wrestling Thread

steelcurtain29

Yeah I heard about that injury to Liv. Hope she gets well soon. This is nothing new though for Brie in being a bit reckless. Hopefully she'll get some sort of punishment.

To my top 5 all time: Ric Flair, Hulk Hogan, Stone Cold, Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels. 

19 hours ago, buddy_z34 said:

Carmella, Alexa Bliss, IIconics, Mandy Rose and the Bellas have more air time than Sasha, Bayley, Asuka, Ember Moon and Naomi. The top pair of women are there for their looks that cant lace up the bottom pairs wrestling boots. I know Sasha is hurt again but thats besides the point. Asuka cant talk english that well but that didnt hinder her down in NXT. 

When the Bellas came back Brie was sloppy as hell. Any other superstar would of been buried. What happens to her? She comes out on SD and then on RAW the next week again. Does Vince not understand we are here for the wrestling not to oggle women. 

i don't know why you are so down on bliss.  She is easily the best  natural heel the womans divison has.  She's not the best worker but she can sell and the facial expressions are great.  She also can take a loss to  a haven't wrestled in a decade trish and not have it hurt her career wise cause that's not how she's built up unlike sasha

As far as Asuka, she gets hurt a bit by the general run time of smackdown as they require her to do more promo work, which is a shame cause she's good in the ring.  At NXT in the smaller environment with a more packed show, she's perfect.  They definitely messed up with her cause she can be really good.  If she was as intimidating physically as a Nia Jax, she could get away with not talking much.  I can't remember many non physically imposing wrestlers that never had to talk to be a big deal.  Hell they even had shamrock try to talk a lot and he was easily one of the most legit badasses they ever had

the bellas are making their semi annual return to pump up the cash cow of total bella and divas.  they'll be gone soon enough again

9 hours ago, bcb1213 said:

i don't know why you are so down on bliss.  She is easily the best  natural heel the womans divison has.  She's not the best worker but she can sell and the facial expressions are great.  She also can take a loss to  a haven't wrestled in a decade trish and not have it hurt her career wise cause that's not how she's built up unlike sasha

As far as Asuka, she gets hurt a bit by the general run time of smackdown as they require her to do more promo work, which is a shame cause she's good in the ring.  At NXT in the smaller environment with a more packed show, she's perfect.  They definitely messed up with her cause she can be really good.  If she was as intimidating physically as a Nia Jax, she could get away with not talking much.  I can't remember many non physically imposing wrestlers that never had to talk to be a big deal.  Hell they even had shamrock try to talk a lot and he was easily one of the most legit badasses they ever had

the bellas are making their semi annual return to pump up the cash cow of total bella and divas.  they'll be gone soon enough again

Im only down on Bliss because she is still a little behind as far as in ring work goes. Which is what i prefer to see. In ring work. Ironically that i watch WWE and i like in ring work lol but they could have sooo much potential with their current roster that its a shame really. Plus the fact that Bliss has been in the main event scene for a while now too. I know Rousey being skyrocketed has something to do with it as Bliss is the best heel. Thats how bad they mismanaged the booking with having a ton of faces and no heels for Rousey. Just bad management all around

11 hours ago, Jeezla said:

Brie is probably the worst performer of all time. Get her off TV.

Naw.  Kelly Kelly and a couple others were far worse.  That said, and this feels weird saying, Brie isn't half the in-ring performer her sister is... but then Nikki's also put in substantially more time and reps.

Bliss has really only been "competing" in the ring for like 4 years; she's actually ahead of the curve for the length of time she's been training.  Originally NXT had her positioned as a backstage interviewer, then they branched her Tinkerbell-ish character into some very limited ring work, then she was made a manager, and she was promoted to the main roster before she ever really had any kind of even medium-length run as a singles wrestler.  She's basically Miz when he won the WWE Championship - great on the mic and needs to stay heel because she's far better selling taking-offense than dishing it out.  She'll get there and getting in with a strong worker like Trish (who can still go even after the lay-off) will help her tremendously.

And no, Vince is never going to see the women as more than T&A first.  The belief in the women as workers is largely Hunter's (and some of the other producers backstage).  Vince and Doot-Doot Hayes just come from a background where the women are sex objects first, props second, and then "attractions" (not wrestlers, they're attractions).  Asuka is in an awkward position.  On Smackdown at least she's getting regular airtime (in with someone who, whether the internet folks think so or not, is actually over with a lot of crowds in Naomi) and not booked super weak.  However, on Smackdown she's also on the same brand and show as another charismatic Japanese wrestler whose English isn't a strong so that limits what she's able to put together in terms of promos and conversation.  She needs a heel turn in the worst way and, honestly, to be booked like Joe has been in the past or like Baszler is booked on NXT.  Honestly, I think it would be so absurd it almost might work to make Asuka into Miz's bodyguard.  That way you're able to have Miz and Maryse promo for her and have Asuka just be a badass.

• Like 2

On 9/24/2018 at 8:31 PM, bigbadbuff23835 said:

No Andre????? 

I think the issue for a lot of people (not necessarily us) is that they really only got exposed to Andre after his back became an issue and it really slowed him down (i.e. Big John Studd and Hogan forward).  Andre in the WWWF, AWA, and Japan moved damn close to Taker or Kane in their primes... but at a legit 500+ pounds.

if we are doing top five for me

Flair

HBK

Savage

those three to me are the top of the top.  They could get over in hammy matches or turn in technical masterpieces  they could give emotions and make an audience feel the match

then it comes down to personal taste

you can take Hogan, Andre, Bruno for thier contributions even though most wouldn't label them great workers

you could take a couple attitude era guys like SCSA or Rock with their personalities that drew the crowd in and both of them could work pretty well too

you could take the best heels even if they may not have been the greatest in ring with Piper or Jake

For me i'm gonna put taker and sting as my other two but man its not easy,.  Piper is still my favorite after all these years

4 hours ago, Troy Brown said:

Idk, maybe it's because Hogan's prime was during my barely conscious years, but I've never understood the hype and maybe I'm naive, but I've always felt if it wasn't him, it would have been someone else. 

It might have been someone else, but there's surely no guarantee it would have been.  The other guys that were being built up behind Hogan (in the pre-Warrior days) were Beefcake (who likely wouldn't have been there in the first place had it not been for Hulk, because he was literally playing Hulk's brother in the territories) and Hacksaw Duggan.  I feel pretty confident in saying that with the same rocket strapped to his backside, Hacksaw wasn't getting over to the level that Hogan was where his presence on the card even for house shows added 250% to the gross.

Were we talking Vince being able to get hold of a Nick Bockwinkle or had Superstar Billy Graham been younger when he turned babyface, sure, maybe someone hits those heights or at least comes close.  The other part of someone being able to replicate or do what Hogan did would have required someone who had the unflappable ego that Hulk did; telling Vince where he was going to go out on cards because he wanted to leave early on some nights, refusing to put over tons of guys or to ever drop the title even to help build a guy who was eventually going to drop it back to him.  No one short of Andre in that era had that kind of pull with Vince - and part of that was because Vince just wasn't going to say no to Andre given Andre's size.

People romanticize Rock a lot because so many people's love for wrestling was kindled during the Monday Night Wars and the Attitude Era, but Hogan is considerably more worthy of a spot on a Mount Rushmore than Rock is - if for the sake of being a massive draw for a much longer period than Rock was (if we're talking strictly their times in wrestling promotions).

4 hours ago, KManX89 said:

Raw draws its lowest rating in history.

2.3 million viewers, ouch. Hardly surprising, though, Raw has been terrible for some time.

Also doesn't help that they're trying to use RAW to promote how many super-cards right now?  4 plus Mixed Match Challenge?  People know that they're not going to get any kind of meaningful progression of any storylines or feuds going because there are Super Show Down, Evolution, Crown Jewel, and Survivor Series all between now and Thanksgiving.  Surely they'll save their major plot points for those events.