Winners & Losers from Day One

RaidersAreOne

Not to bring up the Fins again, but they stopped thinking QB as soon as Mayfield was picked. That was the guy they really liked. After that it was all smoke and mirrors and they were going to get James, Fitz, or Edmunds. The draft ended up perfect for them since they could choose between the 3. That is thanks to SF picking a lineman and the Raiders trading down. I was worried all those guys would be taken and Miami would have to take someone they weren't crazy about. 

1 minute ago, Lilseb93 said:

Not to bring up the Fins again, but they stopped thinking QB as soon as Mayfield was picked. That was the guy they really liked. After that it was all smoke and mirrors and they were going to get James, Fitz, or Edmunds. The draft ended up perfect for them since they could choose between the 3. That is thanks to SF picking a lineman and the Raiders trading down. I was worried all those guys would be taken and Miami would have to take someone they weren't crazy about. 

It is my understanding that the HC loves Tannehill and just because he was injured most of last year, he was a winner the year before and there is no reason, he cannot be a winner again in the 2018 season.

Just now, Iamcanadian said:

It is my understanding that the HC loves Tannehill and just because he was injured most of last year, he was a winner the year before and there is no reason, he cannot be a winner again in the 2018 season.

He does, but I do think Miami will get a QB somewhere in this draft. We need a young QB to groom. He had the best year of his career in 2016. They went on a long winning streak even if it wasn't pretty. They basically made the playoffs with him even if he did get hurt at the end. The guy has had numerous head coaches and offensive coordinators, the worst O-line in football (he got hit so much he was peeing blood), and a lack of weapons for the first couple of years of his career. He's not elite, but people talk about him like he completely sucks. He makes the right decisions, his deep ball actually got good, he can run, and he's efficient. He makes throws that trash QBs don't make. He's not elite in the the sense that he makes game changing plays, but he's a solid guy you can win with if you surround him with a good team. Maybe he could have been a great QB had he had consistent coaching and a better team. 

However, he's 30 and coming off an injury. I see why people want Miami to get a QB for sure. But It's not as big of a need as getting a stud defensive player who can change your whole defense. The defense is awful at covering passes in the middle of the field. They were God awful last year. Worse case scenario, Tanny gets hurt again and he's done here so they draft a QB high next year. People seem think Miami is a 2-14 team anyways so you might as well suck with a foundation piece on defense. Best care, Tanny is good again and they win games with a foundation piece on defense. 

Imho

Winners:

BUF - got my #2 QB prospect and #1 LB prospect by trading up without giving too much value. Best draft of the night for me

ARZ - I think Rosen is a star, and they got him sending a 3rd and 5th. Good for them

NE - I love Wynn and Michel is a good fit for them. They stayed put and got 2 players who will immediately help them in their SB quests.

GB - Got a 1st rounder next year and still took the guy they wanted.

LAC - James was a steal at 1.17

MIA - I love Fitzpatrick as well at 1.11

Losers 

CLE - I don't mind Mayfield or Ward. But I don't like Mayfield ceiling enough to be comfortable with him at 1. I also like Rosen much more. As for ward, there are so many corners available later in the draft I wouldn't have taken Ward that early tbh.

SEA - They have so many needs and go with a 3rd round RB. Awful pick

NO - I like Davenport, but you can't spend 2 1sts on him.

PIT - Love Edmunds and I don't mind the value here. But I'm not sure about the fit. Does he replace Sean Davis at SS or will he play LB? In both cases I'm not convinced.

OAK - I don't like Miller at all and Edmunds should have been the pick there I believe. 

Winners

Browns - Odd to say it but I liked their draft with Mayfield and Ward.  I would even argue that Ward might end up being the best defensive player in this draft.  Just made it look easy playing corner in college.

Bears - Roquan is a beast.

Losers

Seattle - A RB, like for real?

Cowboys - Never been a fan of LVE.  Doesn't take on blocks, and is iffy in coverage.  He's got range, length, and athleticism but I've seen RBs in the flat that he completely blew the coverage on multiple times.  Don't think he'll be elite, but let's see... 

The Ravens did pretty well.  Hurst is going to be a good weapon in the middle of the field, tight end is a focal point in that offense.  And LJax should be interesting, he could be a star.

That Seattle pick is.......not good.  Pitt reached on the other Edmunds.  New Orleans trading up for Davenport was a head scratcher.

RE: CLE, I do think Darnold is the guy, if you have Taylor, the 20 year-old with his success at an early age, skillset and ability to progress, he's my QB choice for 1.1 hands-down.  We'll see.    Re: Ward, he's the best cover guy by a mile - but hindsight also says if they go Chubb 1.4, with NYG not going CB at 2.34, they can get T addressed with Conor Williams - and have 2 first-round talents at CB available in Isiah Oliver and Josh Jackson at 2.34.   They had no way of knowing this, but it does take the shine off the Ward pick (who no doubt is great, better than either in a vacuum, but the combo of Chubb/Williams/Oliver/2.64 BPA - RB? is likely way better than Ward/Williams/2.35 BPA/2.64 RB, one of whom likely is a RB).

I get NO felt they wanted a pass rusher - the way it worked out, I would have stood pat and taken Landry every day.   Again, this is in hindsight, but reaching that far for a guy who will need a lot of time to develop, for a contender...yeah, definite head-scratcher.

5 minutes ago, 1234567 said:

Biggest loser - Every starting QB who has to play Denver the AFCW this season. Yikes. 

FIFY.

If Dee Ford's back is healthy, it's a tough task to face the AFCW.  Bosa-Ingram and those CB's.   Chubb-Von, although our CB's took a hit.   Ford-Jones in KC, losing Peters does make it a little easier (Fuller does help mitigate it).  

I do think OAK spending the pick on Kolton Miller was a tough one, because Miller will need to most time to adapt, but I get the reasoning.  Playing in our division is not friendly to a T-poor squad.  As we found out last year.

1 hour ago, Darth Pees said:

I really liked Denver getting Chubb. That pass rush is going to be so nasty.

1 hour ago, jarren said:

Winners:

SD - James was my top defensive player in the draft. Do it all safety. Perfect fit in Bradleys system. Hes going to be an absolute animal in that Neal/Chancellor role. 

Bal - Lamar Jackson at 32 was a steal. My #4 QB. I would have had no issue taking him in the top 5 if I needed a QB. Franchise changing potenial. 

*** Would have been a loser if not for the Jackson pick. Hurst is not a 1st round talent. Him being 25 years old makes it that much worse.

Bucs - Trading down and picking up 2 2nds then getting Vea was awesome asset managment. Vea was my #1 DT. Ngata upside. 

Cards - Got mabey the most "forsure" QB in the draft imo. I had him ranked #3 and my comparison for him is Matt Ryan (Without the leadership skills). Great pick and moved up for cheap. 

Jets - Got the #1 QB in the draft at 3. Great value. 

Losers:

Giants - Taking a RB #2 overall when you have a 37 year old QB, bad oline and an overall average at best team? Just so stupid. You have some really good QB prospects avaliable or assuredly an option to trade down. One pick away from Guice as it sits. Darnold + Guice >>>>> Barkley + whoever. 

San Fran - Mike McGlinchy is not a top 10 pick. Low upside player who projects at best to be a slighty above average LT. Isaiah Wynn is a better tackle prospect. 

Raiders - Trade down for cheap and then take a 3rd round prospect in Kolten Miller with alot of defensive talent avalibale. No idea what they're thinking. 

Have to agree with these two takes, although I'm not as harsh on McGlinchey.

Seattle pick of Penny is questionable given their roster but he is a good back. I think passing on Rosen was a mistake on every team that didn't select him. I wouldn't say the Saints, Browns or Patriots made bad picks, but I don't love them either from a value standpoint more than anything. Buccaneers added another defensive tackle which is again something I like but don't love. Chargers taking Derwin James seemed like a good pick mostly because of who was already gone and who was left relative to their needs. More of a BPA pick which is a winning stragey always.

Good draft overall, I think more hits than misses for sure.

Archived