Winners & Losers from Day One

RaidersAreOne

40 minutes ago, lancerman said:

I think the Patriots won a lot. Everyone expected them to go defense but by that point they would have been reaching. Filled a huge need with great value on the offensive line and got the 2nd best RB in the draft for a team that hasn’t had a true premier back since Corey Dillon. Offensively they just bolstered an elite passing game with stronger protection and a run attack.

I expect them to go defense with their early 2nd round pick. 

They could have had some pretty good value there. Taven bryan, Harold Landry, Mike Hughes, Josh Jackson, Justin Reid, Carlton Davis, Maurice Hurst, Rasheem Green, Lorenzo Carter.  might be a lil early for greene but hes good athleticism and can play inside and outside.  only position i saw that theres no real value is LBer

3 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

Maybe, but Barkley is, as Gettlman put it, gonna wear a gold jacket one day. I love Darnold, but the kid is special and now you have to defend him, ODB and Engram

I also think he's a great talent but it's arguably the most dependent position on the field. If you don't have a QB or a line that can run-block, it doesn't really matter who you have in the backfield. Drafting Darnold, Rosen, or Allen and having them learn behind Eli for a year would have been the perfect situation. They're not going to pick this high again so now they have to rely on overpaying an average QB in free agency or banking on Davis Webb (or possibly Mason Rudolph if they draft him) to take over next year.

1 minute ago, Art_Vandalay said:

I also think he's a great talent but it's arguably the most dependent position on the field. If you don't have a QB or a line that can run-block, it doesn't really matter who you have in the backfield. Drafting Darnold, Rosen, or Allen and having them learn behind Eli for a year would have been the perfect situation. They're not going to pick this high again so now they have to rely on overpaying an average QB in free agency or banking on Davis Webb (or possibly Mason Rudolph if they draft him) to take over next year.

Maybe - and this is me speculating here - the OL isn't as bad as it's made, and the issue lies with the RBs behind that line. Orleans Darkwa and Wayne Gallman aren't exactly world beaters. 

I personally think it's a symbiotic relationship - the Texans OL was thought to be one of the better run blocking OLs when Arian Foster was behind them. Notsomuch when guys like Ben Tate, Alfred Blue and Akeem Hunt were back there.

1 hour ago, BStanRamFan said:

If you told me the Browns had the number one overall pick in the draft and two picks total in the top 4 and didn't walk away with Darnold, Chubb, or Barkely AT ALL, I'd have to say they're Losers. Epic, Epic Losers.

It's possible they blew it big time, but to be fair, we will all have to see how Mayfield plays over the next 2-3 years.  Chubb was the obvious pick on the defensive side of the ball, but Ward is more than likely going to be a great player for them when the all dust settles.

If the Saints had given up the same picks for the #8 pick to draft Davenport would it have been considered too much?  Apparently the Saints had been offering that same package since the #8 pick to move up and draft Davenport, who fills the last position that needed a real upgrade on our team to compete for a SB, and it wasn't until then that someone accepted the package.  So you can't really say they gave up too much when people weren't willing to trade the pick for that package until then.

Also I understand people talking about Davenport being raw, but we don't need him to be the day 1 starter, just a day 1 impact player in the pass rushing game, which it seems like he should definitely be able to do, so that we can try to win a Super Bowl in the next 2 years.

10 hours ago, jarren said:

Losers:

Raiders - Trade down for cheap and then take a 3rd round prospect in Kolten Miller with alot of defensive talent avalibale. No idea what they're thinking. 

11 'experts' on NFL.com did a mock draft, and all had Miller picked in the 1st round with 10 of them picking Miller at 23 or earlier. Mike Mayock had him rated as #31 talent in his top 100. I havent seen a mock draft in the media where Miller wasnt picked in the 1st round. No idea if he is going to ball, but he certainly isn't a 3rd round prospect.

Also their thinking isn't that weird. The Raiders have a franchise QB but a 35 year old LT coming of a foot injury and no RT. I can see that you put a premium on a OT for that reason.

I don't like the value of the trade down, and if you are going to pick Miller then i'd prefer to do that after another trade down to the early 20's since 15 is a reach. But no way the kid is expected to be available after ~25.

3 minutes ago, Raves said:

If the Saints had given up the same picks for the #8 pick to draft Davenport would it have been considered too much?  Apparently the Saints had been offering that same package since the #8 pick to move up and draft Davenport, who fills the last position that needed a real upgrade on our team to compete for a SB, and it wasn't until then that someone accepted the package.  So you can't really say they gave up too much when people weren't willing to trade the pick for that package until then.

Also I understand people talking about Davenport being raw, but we don't need him to be the day 1 starter, just a day 1 impact player in the pass rushing game, which it seems like he should definitely be able to do, so that we can try to win a Super Bowl in the next 2 years.

I might be one of the few who like what they did. They gave up (most likely) a late first round pick next year for potentially a very good pass rusher. They are trying to get back to another Super Bowl while Brees still has time 

Raiders are losers.

IMO, their defense lacks blue-chip talent outside of Mack. They had a chance to stay at 10 and take Edmunds, Derwin, or Fitzpatrick. But they decided to trade down, which is fine. However, they had a chance to take James or Edmunds at 15, which would have been incredible value. Nope, they opt for the development LT, who has bad technique and needs alot of work.

To make things worse, they are relying on Tom Cable to develop Miller......I mean WTH.xD

1 minute ago, MikeT14 said:

I think the Redskins had the most "meh okay whatever" pick of the first round. xD

Neither a winner or a loser.

It definitely sucks for them that Vea was taken one pick before, but Payne is definitely not a bad consolation prize. It'll be fun to watch him and Allen on the same defensive line.

1 hour ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I personally think it's a symbiotic relationship - the Texans OL was thought to be one of the better run blocking OLs when Arian Foster was behind them. Notsomuch when guys like Ben Tate, Alfred Blue and Akeem Hunt were back there.

@EliteTexan80 Well said! As a long-suffering Giants' fan, I am looking forward to unprecedented miracles from Saquon Barkley this coming year; my only reservation is their disappointing failure to upgrade their O-line with the obvious, needed addition of..........................(wait for it!) Xavier Su'a-Filo, the Pear-Shaped Terror and former anchor of the Houston Texans line!

Image result for xavier su'a filo 

Imo the Cardinals, Chargers and Jets are winners.

The Chargers for landing a (according to the draft experts) top 10 prospect that fits their defense perfectly at #17.

And the Cardinals landed a top 4 QB without giving up much. A 3rd and a 5th to trade up for a potential franchise QB is great value. I don't like the kid, but it's a lottery to begin with so to do it without giving up much value is great.

The Jets gambled before the draft but ended up (imo) with the guy they had as their #1 guy. I didnt like the trade before the draft, but with the Browns picking as they did at #1 it turned into a great trade imo. If gm's knew Darnold would have been available at #3 up front imo the compensation would have been better for the Colts.

As for the Colts, I'm not sure i love picking a OG at #6, but it really depends on what the Colts do with their 3 second round picks to see if they become winners or losers (coming from pick 3).

The Broncos have a great pick, but tbh they were in a position to 'win' anyway at #5. 

The Bills gave up picks 53, 56 and 65 to take two players who are kind of the offensive and defensive versions of each other. A lot of upside, but perhaps the best won't come for a while (if it comes at all). 

It's a lot of capital to give up when your offensive line needs a fairly major re haul. 

Archived