2019 Draft Talk

swede700

12 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

The last interior offensive lineman to be drafted in rounds one or two by the Vikings was Marcus Johnson, in 2005. 

Before that you have to go back to 1988, when the team drafted Randall McDaniel. 

I had such high hopes for Marcus...

While it may be smokescreen season, the Minnesota Vikings’ apparent interest in tight ends in the NFL Draft makes a whole lot of sense. NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero reported Monday that the Vikings will have Iowa tight end Noah Fant in for a pre-draft visit this week.

https://www.skornorth.com/vikings-2/2019/04/vikings-appear-to-be-looking-closely-at-the-top-tight-ends-in-the-draft/

Would be a shock to see the Vikes go TE at 18, but having a big time talent at that spot would certainly benefit the offense. If a TE is drafted early, it might make it hard for Rudolph to have much of a role with the team, making him an easy salary dump. We've barely got enough cap space as it is and need to start thinking extensions for Thielen, Weatherly, Alexander and Waynes. 

If Hockenson happens to fall to them, I hope they move at warp speed to turn their card in. While TE certainly isn’t a “pressing” need, having a complete TE like him improves every facet of the offense. Which is why he won’t be there at 18. 

On 4/4/2019 at 5:02 PM, NoDakViking said:

Could anyone find some previous year's grades for comparison?

And also, are there notable matchups from throughout the year to consider with these?  

This statistic is skewed, of course Washington State and Dillard do not give up many sacks because of how little time Minshew holds the ball.  That grade for Edwards is straight up bad but he did play bad this past season, apparently was injured but who knows.  Could totally argue Greg Little played against best talent for the longest period of time (three years starting) than anyone on this list but I assume this is not over an entire career.  Still would love to know how many sacks did Greg Little give up because I would guess it is not many at all.

In terms of the Vikings 2nd round pick Jerry Tillery is looking better and better I feel.  Unless a 3/4 team takes him in the late 1st or early 2nd he could totally be there for the Vikings.  Could also go with DreMont Jones but Tillery is bigger, stronger and on paper more athletic.  Would not mind the quickness and burst Jones has inside either as a 2nd round pick but he did not time well that is for sure.   

In terms of Bradbury or Lindstrom, if the Vikings like either one no way they fall that far in the 2nd round to them them.  McCoy maybe he would be there in the 2nd to pick up but most of the other good guys will be gone.  Could maybe get Benzschawel, Dieter or Herbig in the 2nd also but might be a little reach with that.  Oh but we have Kline, Brett Jones and freaking Dozier at OG and C, yippie....  Would be hard to find a less impressive group of interior lineman signed by one team this off season, at least they tried I guess.  At least they have Adam Bisnowaty who could be ok if developed, and maybe Jones can play guard as well but never have been super impressed with him.  Still with Kline, he is the 6th highest paid guard in free agency this off season yet he is no where near the 6th best OG available in my book.

Forgot to add give me Maxx Crosby with the Vikings 4th round pick all day long.  Heck I would take him in the 3rd even potentially if we address the OL and DT spots.  Crosby can play and is a damn good athlete for his size, and Griffen is not getting any younger/better.  We still got Aruna and I have hope for him as well but the DL needs to be upgraded, DT first and DE later on at some point.  

3 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Who are some prospects you hope are gone by the time the Vikings are OTC at #18?

TJ Hockenson, while he looks like a great TE prospect, I don't want a TE too badly at #18, and having him picked might get an OL to drop.

Archived