Matt Ryan and Falcons agree to contract extension first 30 million a year QB

49erurtaza

37 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I’m sorry, it doesn’t work like that. Logic stands to reason that if two different teams were willing to trade a first round pick for the chance of proven QB play at an incredibly cheap rookie deal, not a top 5 salary, then if a truly franchise QB became available who had a similar value they would trade even more capital to obtain that.

Fixed it for you.   Close, but you forgot to add the whole point, which removes Ryan as a credible choice. 

Take a hard look at the takes on the board - they range from "it's OK, he's worth it to sign"...ALONE.    To "OMG that's a horrible deal".   Me, I actually think it's a slight overpay.  But that's for signing him alone.   For a top 5 pick like you suggest?   Again, you are in dreamland.  And yes, I dispute your point originally made - the point above, though, is 100 percent correct.  It's also the same point borne out by trade history.

Let's just agree to disagree.  I'll just have trade history and 100 percent of them since the new CBA.  You can have your own beliefs, no one is forced to live in reality.

15 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Fixed it for you.   Close, but you forgot to add the whole point, which removes Ryan as a credible choice. 

Take a hard look at the takes on the board - they range from "it's OK, he's worth it to sign"...ALONE.    To "OMG that's a horrible deal".   Me, I actually think it's a slight overpay.  But that's for signing him alone.   For a top 5 pick like you suggest?   Again, you are in dreamland.  And yes, I dispute your point originally made - the point above, though, is 100 percent correct.  It's also the same point borne out by trade history.

Let's just agree to disagree.  I'll just have trade history and 100 percent of them since the new CBA.  You can have your own beliefs, no one is forced to live in reality.

Only you don’t have that. No trades of franchise QBs since the new CBA for top picks neither proves nor disproves the fact that it would be done if the opportunity presented itself. How often were franchise QBs being traded before the new CBA? Very very rarely. Just like teams don’t often trade away healthy franchise LTs or healthy franchise centers, they’re even less likely to trade away a healthy franchise QB.

So you can for sure agree to disagree. Just do it under the knowledge that your logic is flawed and that you’re living in lalaland if you think a team would give up the 17th pick in the first round for Sam Bradford, but wouldn’t give up a top 3 pick in the draft if they could land a player like Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Tom Brady, etc. to galvanize their franchise. Keep believing that the Browns or Jets would decline such a trade opportunity with the amount of cap space they have available.

30 mil a year you better be giving me Peyton Manning 2004 every year. They have lost they collective minds. Matt Ryan has TWO seasons in his career with north of 30 touchdowns while never not having elite receiving options. 

14 minutes ago, Malik said:

30 mil a year you better be giving me Peyton Manning 2004 every year. They have lost they collective minds. Matt Ryan has TWO seasons in his career with north of 30 touchdowns while never not having elite receiving options. 

He has 3 actually and all things considered that 3 year 30 TD cut-off is a pretty high standard that you're setting. Even in today's passing league.

So Ryan isn't exactly the 30 million a year man i thought he was. He actually took a little less this year it seems restructured while adding the 150 for the next 5 years.   So with his new contract in hand he seems to be at 6 yrs for 169.2 mil now which is about 28.25 mil a year instead of the 30 mil a year for the life of the contract.   So Rodgers still could very well get 29 to 30 mil a year and still be more than Ryan if that makes the Packer fans any happier to only have to pay 29 or so instead of 32 or 33 a year?   Ryan is actually making almost exactly the same as Kirk Cousins is a year he just has 3 more years added on to it.

2 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

He has 3 actually and all things considered that 3 year 30 TD cut-off is a pretty high standard that you're setting. Even in today's passing league.

I'll be the 1st to say he has always had good receiving options but honestly what good is elite skill position players if your o-line gives you no time to throw it or get a good running game going.   I just don't understand why people hold skill position players in such high regard to a qB's performance over a really good o-line. It's no coincidence that Ryans best years have been when our O-line played like a top 10 group and our defense was solid.   Ryan has performed extremely well without Julio and other top receivers many of times when his O-line was playing well.    Would i give the plethora of skill players up we have brought in heck no i like them helping out but if i had to choose a top 5 to 10 o-line every year or the group of skill players we have every year i would take the O-line for ryan every time.    Ryan without a doubt i don't care what anyone says is one of the smartest QB's in the game and when given reasonable time is an amazingly accurate QB even more so on timing routes. 

13 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

I wonder when a QB not named Tom Brady is actually going to take less money to help their team.

I'm not entirely sure how you can be a competitor at this level and want to take up this much of your team's cap space and prevent them from improving the team in other areas. Especially when you're a player that has already made over 100 million in their career like Ryan has. I just don't get it. Guess I never will.

Yeah i wonder as well. I would think there comes a point where the chances of winning 1 or more SB's becomes more valuable then another million.

And that doesnt take into account that a QB willing to take a pay cut could also use this as leverage to increase their long term position at the team (and thereby their total income). As in lower $ but fully guaranteed, or a no trade/no cut clause, or even demand that the franchise will not draft a QB in the 1st before the final year of the contract, etc. etc.

They need a QB cap soon. I think this is fair money for Ryan based on what Cousins received. And I don't think you can expect QBs to take big pay cuts with the way the league is.  You can get a career ending injury at any time and NFL players aren't usually big stars in commercials. I totally understand why one would want to negotiate for the last cent.

15 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

I wonder when a QB not named Tom Brady is actually going to take less money to help their team.

I'm not entirely sure how you can be a competitor at this level and want to take up this much of your team's cap space and prevent them from improving the team in other areas. Especially when you're a player that has already made over 100 million in their career like Ryan has. I just don't get it. Guess I never will.

Yea I’m wondering this too. Atlanta had no choice but that is such a significant cut of the cap

This is going to sound silly but I'm guessing it's not easy for a QB to accept all that money considering how much of the cap they're taking up. There's the wanting to compete part of it, but the QB position is an exclusive fraternity and getting a huge contract likes this opens the door for other QB's around the league.

The perception is the CBA is lopsided in the owners' favor and doing something like taking a hometown discount when you're a franchise player would probably tick off other great players around the league. I think we're getting to the point where unless you have a tier 1 QB like Brady or Rodgers, you're going to have to hit on a QB in the draft so you can get that 4-5 year window. Matt isn't a tier 1 guy and this now puts them at a disadvantage. But when a tier 3/4 QB like Kirk Cousins gets all that money, what are you supposed to do?

7 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

He's had 2. 2012 and 2016. That's the standard Rodgers (when he plays the entire season), Brady, and Brees regularly achieve. Philip Rivers has had more prolific passing seasons as well. Matt Ryan has the same TD% as Cam Newton to give you context. Obviously he is a better pure passer than Cam Newton, but if you're going to paying someone that much money and give them that high of a percentage of cap space they need to be able to perform at the highest of level as their peers.

14 minutes ago, tom cody said:

I like him, he's a good QB and among the best in the game right now. Still 30 million per is an overpayment big time and something the Falcons probably end up regretting. 

The question is, will they regret it more than letting Matt Ryan walk? Or waiting on this until Rodgers gets paid and the price inevitably rises?

Teams are stuck in between a rock and a hard place with QBs right now, a guy like Matt Ryan who can absolutely not be replaced holds all the cards. Teams can only pray that they show mercy, like Tom Brady. Most don't though - and for good reason (most are not married to a model worth billions).

Archived