Packers Off-season Mini-Camp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

On 5/23/2018 at 2:16 PM, Joe said:

Out of that list you posted @Dubz41, We really should throw out 2015 at this point. I think it's safe to say that Ryan and Rip have solidified their roles on the team, both Rollins and Hundley are early cuts so they get a chance to latch onto another team, and Monty will almost HAVE to move back to WR at this point if he's to remain on the team. Perhaps he could be a RS? As for 2016, Trevor Davis is done and there's no question about that IMHO. The rest of the guys, as you said, have a year to prove it essentially. As I stated in other threads a couple weeks ago, I'm convinced this year is an evaluation of our talent at EDGE and both Fackrell and Biegel are on notice. They didn't exactly go out and make an investment in the draft, they didn't make a play at any EDGE FA's as well, and the guy they DID draft to play EDGE is a project player who will be on the practice squad. Amichia is a project and I suspect Yancey will be as well, but not with the same depth of investment that has been invested in Amichia. I think it's best to give him time.

Image result for donald trump wrong gif

Montgomery certainly has value on the market. Without question. The injury history of any player will be considered when they become a FA and their market value will be affected.

Will 88 get a second contract from GB? I certainly cant say for certain, but for the right price I think they'd welcome him back. He offers (again, when healthy) production (and potential production) from multiple offensive positions. That has value IMO.

6 minutes ago, Leader said:

Montgomery certainly has value on the market. Without question. The injury history of any player will be considered when they become a FA and their market value will be affected.

Will 88 get a second contract from GB? I certainly cant say for certain, but for the right price I think they'd welcome him back. He offers (again, when healthy) production (and potential production) from multiple offensive positions. That has value IMO.

This is an interesting question. The Packers are thin at (starter-level) WRs and TEs. Graham (was 31 in Nov) will not be in Green Bay more than 1-3 years, Cobb has a good chance of being gone after his current contract ends after this year. TE Marcedes Lewis was 34 in May. This increases the value of Montgomery as a guy who can catch out of the backfield, until the Packers have more receiver talent and depth.

16 hours ago, Lodestar said:

Mike Neal got a second deal. Nick Perry got a second deal. James Starks got a second deal. With all due respect, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Not sure your logic is valid, but his argument isn't right either in the most literal sense.  I'd guess that @cannondale didn't think that Ty would get any sort of noteworthy deal or be a priority for the Packers to re-sign.

Way too early to write off Montgomery.   I would wait and see how things are this year- nothing of his previous injuries suggest they are chronic issues and we are still dealing with a young player.

His value comes not as a pure runner, but from the multiplicity of options present when he is on the field.   He won't be a bell cow or make his own hole, but he will provide different options for matching up against weaknesses in the defenses.

15 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Not sure your logic is valid, but his argument isn't right either in the most literal sense.  I'd guess that @cannondale didn't think that Ty would get any sort of noteworthy deal or be a priority for the Packers to re-sign.

I'm not guaranteeing he gets a second deal, but to say he unequivocally won't be re-signed because he's had trouble staying healthy is IMO misguided.

Yes we will actually game plan week to week.  Actually have a real offensive coordinator now.  Bennett proved he didn't have a clue.  Why we saw so much sandlot football the last few years.  Have been calling for Bennett to be replaced for a few years now.  Extremely pleased we got Philbin back.  This is as huge as replacing Capers.  Biggest reason for optimism this year for me anyway is the change in coordinators.  

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Pretty much what some of us have been saying. I expect our offense to pretty much be the same as prior years schematically and game plan wise week to week.

Key word there is prior years. Is it going to be drastically different from the Packers WC offense we saw years ago? No. I think it's scrubbed clean from the last few years however. I think we're going to see quite a bit of change in TE usage as I would say that was the biggest change from Philbin's departure. We used to keep like 5 TEs and use them all over. The last few years outside the run the table stretch with Cook, a TE hasn't been a feature part of our offense and their usage as a whole has been quite bland. Mac's usage of Bennett pre collarbone last year quite frankly sucked.

Kind of off-topic, but while we're on the subject of playcalling, I have a dumb question about scripted plays. You script the first 15 plays. Is that just like a list of plays that you run through in order? What happens if you get into 3rd and 12 on play 7 and the 7th play on the script is a dive between the guards? Are there options for that or do you just break the script? Or is your script more like 6 scripted 1st downs, 5 scripted 2nd downs and 4 scripted 3rd downs?

Archived