Do you root for your players from your College in the NFL?

jackbauer24

36 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

Another debate with my good friend.  I think that once players reached the pros that college affiliation doesn’t really matter to me as I want the best players to win for my favorite nfl team.

Thoughts?

I think it's only natural. You hook yourself to a college team and the obvious next step for the talented guys that help the team is to move onto the pros. I'm always rooting for the Iowa guys.. no matter where they go. Definitely makes it easier when they land on your favorite NFL team. I've been lucky as a Hawkeyes/Packers fan.

Bryce Paup, Aaron Kampman, Bryan Bulaga, Micah Hyde, Mike Daniels, & Josh Jackson. Granted there are some names I will also not be listing.. (Abdul Hodge)

I'm not that attached to my college from a football perspective (when to UH, graduated around the time Kevin Kolb was a starter). 

I don't wish ill on many players, but it grinds my gears to hear people wax on about their college guy getting a shot with your team. I had UH folks pining for Case Keenum, A&M folks pining for Johnny Manziel, Baylor folks pining for RG3, UT folks pining for VY - some people are blinded by their college affiliations and completely ignore that some of those names weren't/aren't good. 

Only loosely and generally only their rookie year. For example. Eric Decker coming out of Minnesota, sure, I pulled for him, but once he really was a NY Jet and not a former Gopher because enough time had gone by, I didn't care anymore.

I follow a handful of college teams tightly, and absolutely follow the careers of any of their players that make it into the NFL. There's certainly a fall off with just how much I root for them; the more successful they are the less invested in them I am. Russell Wilson is a great example of that. He gave Wisconsin an amazing year that could have been much more (by no fault of his own) and came into the NFL as a criminally under-drafted guy. I rooted hard for him to prove the doubters wrong and establish himself as an NFL starter, he did that pretty quickly, and by his 3rd year I was rooting for him far less. It's at a point where he is now clearly a great QB, and I view him more as a threat to the NFL team I support than anything else. I certainly don't root against him, but knowing he already has locked up a storied career more money than he'll ever need, I don't really root much for him.

Sort of, kind of. If he's a scumbag like Dominique Easley, then I don't care, but if he's entertaining or fun in the mold of Percy Harvin then I like to see them succeed. Recent years have been kind of rough for my alma mater sending talent to the NFL.

I only care to root for the players who are currently playing on my favorite team so when a player leaves for the NFL I don't necessarily root for or against them anymore.

I look at it in the same as I do with NFL players. Whenever a player leaves the Bears, I don't care about them anymore. 

Being from the greatest NFL player producing college in the nation for several different years, many of the recent ones. (GEAUX TIGERS!) Yes I do. Im no traitor to my LSU brothers, and will always hope them the best. Even when facing my Redskins.

Since everything that went down at Penn State, I haven't been the Die Hard fan I once was. However, certain players I do keep tabs on... Like Saquon Barkley,  Allen Robinson and Sean Lee.

7 hours ago, The Gnat said:

Only loosely and generally only their rookie year. For example. Eric Decker coming out of Minnesota, sure, I pulled for him, but once he really was a NY Jet and not a former Gopher because enough time had gone by, I didn't care anymore.

I agree with this but it depends on where they go. I married into an Auburn family so i will root for Kerryon and company but because Smith went to the Colts, i dont exactly want him to do well

No. Unless they go from FSU to the Vikings they are dead to me. I don't like Winston, Bradham, Freeman, Benjamin, Hudson, Joyner......none of them!!

Now when they retire like Derrick Brooks and Warrick Dunn I go back to loving them.

Archived