****Spoiler Thread**** Solo: A Star Wars Story

Deadpulse

Surprisingly good movie. Not quite up to the level of Rogue Onebut still a very enjoyable film in it's own right. Not sure if I'm in the minority here, but I actually really liked Ehrenreich's rendition of Solo, maybe even more so than Ford. There was nothing overly complex about the plot, but it was a good ride from start to finish. The movie dragged a bit in parts and could have probably cut back a little on the run time, but it did a good job fleshing out most of it's characters and deeping the audience's bond with the titular character. Solid 7.5/10.

I think it was pretty good.  Pleasantly surprised by Aldenreich, he did a good job of keeping the character true to Ford's original and still was able to do his thing.  Kudos to Ron Howard for making an enjoyable popcorn flick out of the disaster that was the production of this movie.

Not quite sure why Donald Glover is getting so much love for his portrayal of Lando.  Seemed pretty by the numbers to me.

Woody Harrellson was pretty good.  Emelia Clark was good enough to make the part work, but not good enough to make it stand out.  The whole "Droid rights" was dumb, and was the only thing that took me out of the movie.  It tied together with the whole prison break scene, but it could have worked easily without the extra dumb subplot.

All in all, a fun movie that I'll definitely watch again.  Have to assume we see Emelia Clark and Darth Maul show up in another spinoff movie.

I'd give it a solid B to B+

Just saw it. It was solid. Nothing but nothing to love either.

The whole trainjob scene felt like a blockbuster version of Firefly's Trainjob episode.

I will say that whole droid thing was just flat out dumb and im not sure if they were trying to make it emotional when it died but either way I was more relieved then anything.

9 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

It was an incredibly okay movie.

Yeah that’s the feeling I got during and after.   Which given all the problems it encountered pre-production I’m ok with. Nothing spectacular yet nothing outright awful (well mostly).  

Aldenreich was decent, Chewbacca was probably the most interesting character development wise.   I enjoyed their scenes the most.   Plot-wise everything was pretty much paint by numbers story telling but it was heartfelt acting by Harrelson & Clarke that made their scenes watchable.   The pirates being the original founders of the Rebellion was a nice turn - although somewhat predictable, it was still well written. 

Bettamy was pretty meh as the Black Hat. Maul was pretty much click bait.   L3 was so trope-y it hurt.   So was the triple cross IMO.  I would be truly surprised if the higher ups want to continue this storyline.    Very little was memorable TBH (I suspect this was Howard's cleanup, had to get the movie more to the middle than the original film, if the pre-production reports are accurate).  

I much preferred Rogue One TBH.   I’d give this 6.5/10.   If it wasn’t a SW story I suspect I’d have been fine to wait until it was in video to see it 1x.  

Just got out of Solo.  It’s a really fun heist movie with a high replay value.  I liked it better than Rogue One tbh.  Huge shoes (arguably the biggest ever) to fill playing Han but Ehrenreich’s smile carried him quite charmingly.   Harrison Ford himself said he nailed it.   I never understood the vitriol and bar mitzvah conspiracy theories.  ??‍♂️

Only beef was the cameo of Darth Maul who was ahem... killed by Obi Wan.  Cut in half and splattered all over the basement.  Yes, he was one of the few awesome things about Phantom Menace but come on... he’s dead (ahem, so is Boba Fett but that’s another thread).   Hey, I liked him too.  

Don’t Winter Soldier him.

200w.gif

No, I think I'll continue to blissfully ignore the stupid Clone Wars arc where they brought him back from the dead and turned him into a half-spider droid or whatever.  LoL so lame.  

Maul isn’t the only of his kind, right?  Maybe it’s Maul’s cousin Saul.

Archived