Hard Knocks Discussion

Mind Character

This episode was the most boring ... they spent half the episode covering a training camp fight like it was the Thrilla in Manila, butterflies with Brobie, Country music celebrity shows his face, a dog doing dog stuff around a building, and mostly nothingness...

Good times...

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

This episode was the most boring ... they spent half the episode covering a training camp fight like it was the Thrilla in Manila, butterflies with Brobie, Country music celebrity shows his face, a dog doing dog stuff around a building, and mostly nothingness...

Good times...

and I thought it was fantastic 

2 hours ago, OttoGrahamsGhost said:

Did anyone else notice the upgraded RV? I think I missed most of the episode trying to determine if I wasn’t remembering correctly. But it’s different. I’m almost certain. 

It is. The first one had a van front end, and this one looked more like a tour bus. 

My takes:

Haley looks annoyed every time Flash is mentioned. Hue sounds giddy. Todd sounds less thrilled.

Just an observation of body language and tone, but I get the impression some on the team aren't too impressed that Flash skipped all the hard work of training camp, the hard work all his teammates put in to EARN their stripes. In a couple of weeks, Josh will get his stripes, but he will be the only one who hasn't sweat and bled for those stripes. Guys remember that sort of thing. If I'm Hue, JG will have to do extra to prove his commitment to his team, something unpleasant that rookies hafta do.

I just hope Josh's personal treatment times don't always correlate with the times when the team is doing work, because it will be known, and guys will have feelings on the matter.

Anyone else notice the short convo between Alonzo Highsmith and Dorsey? Alonzo catching the same vibes and energy on this team that he caught with the '90's Cowboys team he was on. I've noticed it too. We're so young and athletic, with super talented, hungry players. This team is intense, hungry and definitely has some dog in it.

Bob Wylie is my new spirit animal.

The greatest generation worked harder, shot straighter, screwed longer, and could piss out a campfire with a single stream. Stretching? Ha! When I'm done destroying two evil empires, building my house by hand, running more miles than you've ever driven, drinking twice as much as you've ever dreamed, kicking poverty and Polio's ***, and staring death in the eyes, making him flinch first, maybe then I'll stretch.

Dline and Oline cuts could be chalk full of tough calls.

Robinson has really held his own at LT, and Harrison shows a ton of ability also at LT and maybe the future there. As bad as Coleman looked at LT, is as good as he's looked at RT. Obviously, Hubbard is the dude there, but Coleman should back him up; I'd doubt there'd be much of a drop-off if Hubby goes down. Drango was solid. I'd like to see more of the OG Gray, dude from Canada; good feet. Fabiana sucks. I haven't really seen DiLauro. Backup tackles are better than the backup interior linemen.

On Dline, Chad Thomas played mostly interior. Looked impactful against the run, but not as much against the pass. Really looks the part. Zay Henderson has some juice and potential as a rotation man in a one-gap scheme.

DE is deep. Myles and Ogbah backed up by.... Nassib is quality rotation man, Orchard is improving and might be close to figuring out how to overcome his lack of athleticism, Chris Smith and Genard Avery are similar short, explosive, pad-jackers. Luckily, Avery will count against the LB's. Frazier has something most don't, legit upside.

4-3 DL is usually 8-9 men.

Garrett, Ogbah, Nassib, Orchard, Smith, Frazier, Ogunjobi, Thomas, Brantley, Meder, Henderson, Coley... That's 12.

In the preview for next week, Kendricks tells his teammates that they are a more talented team than the Eagles. Might not be as hyperbolic as it sounds.

On paper, by position groups:

QB - Philly, for now. But Baker could realistically beat out Carson in the next few years.

WR/TE -  With Flash, Cleveland.   Flash, Landry, Higgins, and Callaway are better than Philly's top 4 guys. Ertz is better now, but Njoku could quickly succeed him.

RB- A wash. Ajayi is better than Hyde, Duke is better than Sproles and whoever, Clement and Chubb are a wash, but for now. Chubb has bigger upside.

OL- Philly, but by a narrow gap. If father time, Jason Peters, goes down again, then it's a wash.

DL- Philly. In two years, us. Right now Graham, Cox, and Michael Bennett are better than any three we can summon, but Myles will easiy overtake Graham this season and Bennett's got a year or two left, amidst a decline. Ogbah will hopefully blossom. Chad Thomas might be the next "Big Cat" Leon Lett if he pans out how I think he will. Ogunjobi is a stud in the making.

LB- Browns, easily. No explanation necessary.

DB- Browns. CB's are better. Safeties are slightly in favor of Philly, but I believe Peppers and Randall overtake them within the year.

5 hours ago, Fatgerman said:

My takes:

Haley looks annoyed every time Flash is mentioned. Hue sounds giddy. Todd sounds less thrilled.

Just an observation of body language and tone, but I get the impression some on the team aren't too impressed that Flash skipped all the hard work of training camp, the hard work all his teammates put in to EARN their stripes. In a couple of weeks, Josh will get his stripes, but he will be the only one who hasn't sweat and bled for those stripes. Guys remember that sort of thing. If I'm Hue, JG's will have to do extra to prove his commitment to his team, something unpleasant that rookies hafta do.

I just hope Josh's personal treatment times don't always correlate with the times when the team is doing work, because it will be known, and guys will have feelings on the matter.

Anyone else notice the short convo between Alonzo Highsmith and Dorsey? Alonzo catching the same vibes and energy on this team that he caught with the '90's Cowboys team he was on. I've noticed it too. We're so young and athletic, with super talented, hungry players. This team is intense, hungry and definitely has some dog in it.

Bob Wylie is my new spirit animal.

The greatest generation worked harder, shot straighter, screwed longer, and could piss out a campfire with a single stream. Stretching? Ha! When I'm done destroying two evil empires, building my house by hand, running more miles than you've ever driven, drinking twice as much as you've ever dreamed, kicking poverty and Polio's ***, and staring death in the eyes, making him flinch first, maybe then I'll stretch.

Dline and Oline cuts could be chalk full of tough calls.

Robinson has really held his own at LT, and Harrison shows a ton of ability also at LT and maybe the future there. As bad as Coleman looked at LT, is as good as he's looked at RT. Obviously, Hubbard is the dude there, but Coleman should back him up; I'd doubt there'd be much of a drop-off if Hubby goes down. Drango was solid. I'd like to see more of the OG Gray, dude from Canada; good feet. Fabiana sucks. I haven't really seen DiLauro. Backup tackles are better than the backup interior linemen.

On Dline, Chad Thomas played mostly interior. Looked impactful against the run, but not as much against the pass. Really looks the part. Zay Henderson has some juice and potential as a rotation man in a one-gap scheme.

DE is deep. Myles and Ogbah backed up by.... Nassib is quality rotation man, Orchard is improving and might be close to figuring out how to overcome his lack of athleticism, Chris Smith and Genard Avery are similar short, explosive, pad-jackers. Luckily, Avery will count against the LB's. Frazier has something most don't, legit upside.

4-3 DL is usually 8-9 men.

Garrett, Ogbah, Nassib, Orchard, Smith, Frazier, Ogunjobi, Thomas, Brantley, Meder, Henderson, Coley... That's 12.

In the preview for next week, Kendricks tells his teammates that they are a more talented team than the Eagles. Might not be as hyperbolic as it sounds.

On paper, by position groups:

QB - Philly, for now. But Baker could realistically beat out Carson in the next few years.

WR/TE -  With Flash, Cleveland.   Flash, Landry, Higgins, and Callaway are better than Philly's top 4 guys. Ertz is better now, but Njoku could quickly succeed him.

RB- A wash. Ajayi is better than Hyde, Duke is better than Sproles and whoever, Clement and Chubb are a wash, but for now. Chubb has bigger upside.

OL- Philly, but by a narrow gap. If father time, Jason Peters, goes down again, then it's a wash.

DL- Philly. In two years, us. Right now Graham, Cox, and Michael Bennett are better than any three we can summon, but Myles will easiy overtake Graham this season and Bennett's got a year or two left, amidst a decline. Ogbah will hopefully blossom. Chad Thomas might be the next "Big Cat" Leon Lett if he pans out how I think he will. Ogunjobi is a stud in the making.

LB- Browns, easily. No explanation necessary.

DB- Browns. CB's are better. Safeties are slightly in favor of Philly, but I believe Peppers and Randall overtake them within the year.

Philly arguably has the best offensive line in the league. We have the potential to be one of the better offensive lines in the league, but it's far from certain. Bitonio has looked good thus far at LT, but we'll see how he does during the regular season. Corbett has shown flashes but has seemed inconsistent to me. Tretter is meh. Getting Zeitler back will definitely help things. Hubbard has looked pretty good to me thus far. There's talent and potential on the offensive line, but a lot of question marks as well.

Ertz is easily one of the best tight ends in the league. Njoku has tons of potential, but I'm not going to act like it will be easy for him to quickly surpass Ertz. Plus Philly just drafted a pretty talented TE in the draft.

The defensive line is another unit that has a ton of potential, but still plenty of question marks. Can Ogunjobi take the next step? Garrett should be great, but just needs to stay healthy. Can Ogbah take the next step from being just a good DE to a great one? Can he become more consistent as a pass rusher? We still need another quality pass rusher, IMO. I wanted one in the draft but instead we drafted Chad Thomas, who seems like he will be solid in run defense, but I'm not sure how much of a pass rush he'll offer. Genard Avery looks like he could be a great pass rusher at LB, though.

I don't want to say our CBs are better until they go out and prove it. Ward has the ability to be a legit #1 CB, but he's still an unproven rookie. We should have good depth in guys like BBC, Gaines, Mitchell and Carrie, but we need one of those guys to step up as a legit #2 CB.

Like I said, we have tons of talent and potential. However, a lot of our talent is either totally or relatively unproven. Looking at the roster right now, there aren't any huge glaring holes. However, if some of these guys don't step up (like at #2 CB, FS, DT, LT, etc.) then we could have numerous holes heading into next offseason.

With that said, I'm optimistic about this team. Just cautiously optimistic.

41 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Dude calls himself a fan and didn't even know who Joel Bitonio was.

How hard core of a Fan is he and how religiously does he follow the team. The dude is one of the biggest country Stars so he prolly doesn’t spend a lot of time watching the team or following them as much as like we do. 

I don’t think it was a total PR student. Every time I have seen him live he has said he was a browns fan. Did it at Blossom and did it in Dayton. 

6 minutes ago, buno67 said:

How hard core of a Fan is he and how religiously does he follow the team. The dude is one of the biggest country Stars so he prolly doesn’t spend a lot of time watching the team or following them as much as like we do. 

I don’t think it was a total PR student. Every time I have seen him live he has said he was a browns fan. Did it at Blossom and did it in Dayton. 

Yeah Brad is cool in my book. He is from Wheeling, WV which is Steeler country and is a Browns fan as you can see from the ticker in this video:

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah Brad is cool in my book. He is from Wheeling, WV which is Steeler country and is a Browns fan as you can see from the ticker in this video:

Great song but I think that was the first time I have ever seen the video. The browns score and WVU scores were pretty funny. 

Archived