Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

13 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Never realized the NBA was so corrupt, refs were in LBJ's pocket throughout this series.  

Really? It’s been corrupt since the 80s. From the frozen envelope to the fact that nearly every finals for the last 40 years has included a team from NY, Chicago, Boston, Miami, or LA. The 2 exceptions: 1995 (Shaq vs reigning champs with Hakeem) and 2007 (LBJ vs Popovich) weren’t exactly “small market” matchups in the context of their times. 

Jeff Van Grundy was fined the most ever for a coach and run out of the league for mentioning it. 

Tim donaghy went to prison for fixing games as a ref and despite the NBA painting him as a rogue lone wolf has always said that it was widespread. 

love the game. Can’t bring myself to watch the NBA for that reason 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Really? It’s been corrupt since the 80s. From the frozen envelope to the fact that nearly every finals for the last 40 years has included a team from NY, Chicago, Boston, Miami, or LA. The 2 exceptions: 1995 (Shaq vs reigning champs with Hakeem) and 2007 (LBJ vs Popovich) weren’t exactly “small market” matchups in the context of their times. 

Jeff Van Grundy was fined the most ever for a coach and run out of the league for mentioning it. 

Tim donaghy went to prison for fixing games as a ref and despite the NBA painting him as a rogue lone wolf has always said that it was widespread. 

Lakers haven't won a legit title since 1987.

Tankathon says were in for one of the top 4 pick, either one of the top 3 QB's or OT Sewell. If there's a year, this may be the year to tank. With the upcoming Thursday Jets game, could launch us to within Trevor Lawrence range....sure hope Bortles remains on the bench.

Edited by Cutler06

On 9/27/2020 at 8:39 PM, Cutler06 said:

Tankathon says were in for one of the top 4 pick, either one of the top 3 QB's or OT Sewell. If there's a year, this may be the year to tank. With the upcoming Thursday Jets game, could launch us to within Trevor Lawrence range....sure hope Bortles remains on the bench.

don't think you need to be too concerned about Bortles leading us to wins if he plays lol 

• Like 1

On 9/27/2020 at 12:43 PM, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Last year was San Francisco and Your 2018-19 NBA Champion Toronto Raptors. 

The officiating didn't help, but the Nuggets had plenty of opportunities to win those games regardless. If anything, that shows how far they have come given how young the team was.

Love what G brought in the Clippers series especially on defense, but he was a total liability in the Lakers series. Brought nothing at all offensively and didn't make any impact defensively.

Think Malone should've gone with PJ a lot more after that game 3 (?) performance. 

2 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

The officiating didn't help, but the Nuggets had plenty of opportunities to win those games regardless. If anything, that shows how far they have come given how young the team was.

Love what G brought in the Clippers series especially on defense, but he was a total liability in the Lakers series. Brought nothing at all offensively and didn't make any impact defensively.

Think Malone should've gone with PJ a lot more after that game 3 (?) performance. 

Yup. I think the takeaway on the officiating is ... if you are playing a great Lakers team ... you are going to have to deal with some tough calls. Like...it's just gonna be a little slanted lol it is what it is. In this series, the Nuggets weren't the better team. I think they proved they could go toe to toe with them, which is massive.

A lot of the playoffs are about matchups - when G got to lock a guard up (Mitchell) he was huge....didn't really need any of that in the Lakers series. Jokic was the best player on the floor BY FAR in the Clippers series because they didn't have any great defensive bigs. Lakers kind of had two. Made it tough for him to dominate. Agreed on Dozier. We had 3 players that could do something with the ball (Morris/Jokic/Murray) so adding Dozier in the mix was nice. We'll see him more next year

Very fun playoff run. Exciting times as a Nuggets fan. Truly an incredible season 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, champ11 said:

Yup. I think the takeaway on the officiating is ... if you are playing a great Lakers team ... you are going to have to deal with some tough calls. Like...it's just gonna be a little slanted lol it is what it is. In this series, the Nuggets weren't the better team. I think they proved they could go toe to toe with them, which is massive.

A lot of the playoffs are about matchups - when G got to lock a guard up (Mitchell) he was huge....didn't really need any of that in the Lakers series. Jokic was the best player on the floor BY FAR in the Clippers series because they didn't have any great defensive bigs. Lakers kind of had two. Made it tough for him to dominate. Agreed on Dozier. We had 3 players that could do something with the ball (Morris/Jokic/Murray) so adding Dozier in the mix was nice. We'll see him more next year

Very fun playoff run. Exciting times as a Nuggets fan. Truly an incredible season 

What would your plan be moving forward then? Interested to hear your take. I don't know anywhere near enough about the intricacies of the sport really.

From what I have read, the major talking points are whether we can afford to keep Grant who will be a UFA and how do you add more defensive/rebounding presence to play alongside and in relief of Jokic.

3 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

What would your plan be moving forward then? Interested to hear your take. I don't know anywhere near enough about the intricacies of the sport really.

From what I have read, the major talking points are whether we can afford to keep Grant who will be a UFA and how do you add more defensive/rebounding presence to play alongside and in relief of Jokic.

Yup - I think about 95% we keep Grant. Just hopefully some competitors don't bid up his number. I think he's an extremely valuable player to have on your roster for a playoff run (essential really) but I don't look at him as a core talent. Luckily for us, there aren't many teams with cap space and most that have some are rebuilding. So I am hoping to get him back for around 15m a year.

I think at some point the goal is to upgrade the 2 guard spot. However, both Gary and Will are under contract, good players when healthy, and good fits with the team. I don't think it will be easy to upgrade them this offseason, but people are going to discuss trades for Jrue Holiday/Victor Oladipo etc. I don't see it. Giving up a lot of assets for older dudes that need touches. I think we are good in that spot ... for now

With Grant back we will have space to sign one other rotation player. Maybe 2 depending on the $$. That could be one of our other free agents (Millsap/Craig/Plumlee) but I kind of doubt it. I think we need a backup big that would be an upgrade over Plumlee. Plum is underrated, IMO, and not THAT easy to upgrade, but some more versatility would be nice. Millsap I would love back for very cheap and taking a smaller role. Love the dude but he looked very washed out there. Don't want to rely on him in the rotation. 

If we add someone new I think it will be a big to replace Plumlee or a shooter. The roster definitely needs more shooting. We could see that addressed in the draft since we have a first rounder. And maybe we end up trading the first for a rotation piece...but I don't see it. Our FO is incredible in the draft and there is a ton of value in having a guy on the rookie deal. Also will be excited to see Bol, who is essentially a rookie.

Either way, I think the big upgrade next year is starting and integrating MPJ. Special talent...that's the key to really winning a championship IMO. 

• Like 2