Raiders, Bears Reach Agreement on Khalil Mack Trade

ramssuperbowl99

1 minute ago, game3525 said:

Oh, it makes sense for the Bears. 

They have Trubisky on a cheap contract for the next couple of years. If you are confident that he is good, then this is the time to go all in.  Don't be like Dallas, where you waste that window. 

That's a key part here in terms of context because we don't really know yet.

Also, Carr is a good QB. Did that make them a SB contender?

Just now, Matts4313 said:

Wait, what the hell are you talking about? 

It's hilarious to see how many people think the salary cap isn't extremely easy to get around these days.

This move isn't for salary cap reasons nor is it smart to think the Raiders did this to make sure "they're good" on that front in the future. 

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

Given the track record of the Raiders, what are you thinking on this? Reggie McKenzie did a good job at building the roster, but he's got some misses in the 1st as well.

Mack was a proven commodity. Let's hope the yet unnamed 1st rounders are as proven one day.

Im not saying its necessarily a good move....but like I said, if they didnt foresee resigning him for the immense payday he wants, its a good deal.    Mack is 27, and last time I checked, they went 6-10 WITH him last year.   In no way am I saying that was Mack;s fault, but clearly the team has more building to do.    The still have a young QB to build around for awhile, and this could go a long way.     

Bottom line...I dont hate the move as much as many seem to for the Raiders.

I am both thrilled for Mack and scared by the compensation we will need to give up.  To the people saying "I thought he would have gone to a contender" I think you may be undervaluing the Bears.  They have seriously grown as a team and if Trubisky plays well, we are in great shape.

7 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Have none of you learned anything from all the teams winning the superbowl lately? Its like I am in bizarro world. The philosophy in this thread is 100% the exact opposite of every team that has won lately. 

The SB winners lately have either had Tom Brady or a rookie at QB (and a broken down Peyton Manning).  Should every team that doesn't have one of them just give up and trade all their good players for picks too? :P

Just now, drd23 said:

The SB winners lately have either had Tom Brady or a rookie at QB (and a broken down Peyton Manning).  Should every team that doesn't have one of them just give up and trade all their good players for picks too? :P

Sabermetrics: by trying to trade for Tom Brady the Browns are the smartest franchise in the NFL

Just now, TankWilliams said:

I am both thrilled for Mack and scared by the compensation we will need to give up.  To the people saying "I thought he would have gone to a contender" I think you may be undervaluing the Bears.  They have seriously grown as a team and if Trubisky plays well, we are in great shape.

The big thing is Trubisky. Mack or not, if Trubisky doesn’t hit, that teams goes nowhere. That’s why I think it’s a silly move without having a proven QB in place. Obviously they think they have their guy so we’ll see. I was very leary of GB sending two first rounders and paying Mack all that money and we have a top 2 QB in the league. It’s a lot of money and a lot of pick compensation for a non QB. 

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Getting a player who produces like a 1st round pick is expected to likely costs somewhere in the ~$8-10MM range on the free agent market, depending on the position. Let's say $9MM as a composite. The average 1st round pick makes somewhere around $3MM/year (again, this can vary). This means each first round pick is worth ~$6MM/year in value, so add $12MM to Mack's salary, and you're near $40MM.

That's what I estimated it at anyway. You'd do the same general equation for the other player in the deal, if there is one.

But CHI isn't paying both of those numbers, they are only paying Mack.  What is the logic behind taking the value of the picks they gave up, and adding that value to Mack's salary?  Having both was never an option.  They could have one or the other, and they went with Mack.

Archived