Game of Thrones - Our Watch has Ended

pwny

Just now, flyers0909 said:

I'm on the side that liked the episode, but how stupid was the setting under the Red Keep when Tyrion went down?  Jaime and Cersei are alive if they just decided to move over a few feet apparently.  

they could have hidden in the dragons skull 

I wish they would have.

Tyrion comes in all worried, and Jamie/Cersei just chilling post coitus.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Nazgul said:

Why does everything have to have a defined list of reasons as to why things do / don't make sense.
That has to make for a miserable viewing experience of anything.

I loved Game of Thrones. I was hooked since episode 1. 
The "perfect" anything doesn't exist. Especially not on something of this scale.
This show had millions and millions of people watching. No one was going to be perfectly satisfied. It's simply not possible.

Watching for anything besides entertainment is an illusion. 

I love you so much right now.

Not reading anything, la la la not reading anything, but I just got to where Dany effing killed Varys because she's a stupid Mad Queen and I was so pissed off because Varys had always been my favorite character, so I looked it up to make damn sure she dies and I'm celebrating right now with over an hour to go in the penultimate episode.  She was less likeable than Cersei throughout the series.  How people ever liked her after her third idiot decision out of 87 I'll never know. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

Not reading anything, la la la not reading anything, but I just got to where Dany effing killed Varys because she's a stupid Mad Queen and I was so pissed off because Varys had always been my favorite character, so I looked it up to make damn sure she dies and I'm celebrating right now with over an hour to go in the penultimate episode.  She was less likeable than Cersei throughout the series.  How people ever liked her after her third idiot decision out of 87 I'll never know. 

**** you. 
Also she was hot.

Edited by Nazgul

6 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Was Bolton not united until the events of the War of the Five Kings and the Red Wedding? 

Dissenters pop up with little warning.

As you say, it's "At The Moment."

What's west of Westeros?

Sansa has the north. Robin Bran and Edmure wont let her down. Tyrion I guess has the Westerlands wont. Sansa is the 2nd most powerful person in the world. Maybe tied for 1st cause its her brother on the other throne.

Whats west of Westeros? Summer Isles never made it, Ib whalers didnt. Iron Born didnt.  Whats west is death by all accounts. 3 episodes. Run out of fresh water. Boom. She dead.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Sansa has the north. Robin Bran and Edmure wont let her down. Tyrion I guess has the Westerlands wont. Sansa is the 2nd most powerful person in the world. Maybe tied for 1st cause its her brother on the other throne.

So, whatever happened to the Reed's? You don't think Meera was upset when Jojen died for Bran, only to be given a "thank you" from Bran? She was pretty upset with his lack of compassion. That doesn't tie into it?

The Mormonts are now controlled by someone other than Lyanna or Jorah. Does that factor into anything?

8 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Whats west of Westeros? Summer Isles never made it, Ib whalers didnt. Iron Born didnt.  Whats west is death by all accounts. 3 episodes. Run out of fresh water. Boom. She dead.

Amerigo Vespucci didn't discover the Americas until 1502. So, in a world that's clearly not at 1502, do you think they've discovered everything in this world?

Frankly given the mess of shortcuts taken in ep 4/5 this was about as good as I could have hoped for.   

Bran as King just rings so hollow given D&D have portrayed him as indifferent to the plight of the kingdom.   It’s just so meh.  It’s also problematic given how D&D used Jon’s rejection of Dany as his lover as the final straw which breaks her - given that Bran is instrumental in the reveal of Jon as Aegon.   Either way it’s the weakest plot turn here.  I did like breaking the wheel but 7 rulers / 7 kingdoms would have made more sense than Bran IMO.   It’s one of those sudden turns from total indifference to “this why I’ve been hanging around” that S8 has rightfully been criticized for lazy character writing.   

I didn’t mind Arya’s ending going west   But man again D&D teased portents about Arya’s role (this time with the white horse scene - and again this was shown in the countdown scenes too, not just last week, so it was clearly played up as a hint of things to come).  But then played now as a decoy.   For the NK killer to be on the sidelines for both eps, frustrating decision.  I don’t mind the ending but the character scenes from before clearly hinted at more - and even the countdown to the start played it up.  I get the frustration.      

Having said the above, I loved that Jon fulfilled being the Prince Who Was Promised - his act saved the realm.   And he paid for it.  At least we got some usage for Ghost at the end.  

While I didn’t think the turn of Dany into city-slaughterer at the surrender was earned save for shock value - her exit was as good as it could be given the full Mad Queen was in effect.   Great work by Clarke - I could almost see Viserion instead of Dany at the end.    Drogon leaving was the only plausible way to write him out  given the complete lack of focus on warg abilities for the TV canon.  

And while I thought the Jamie / Brienne love scene in 8.4 was also played for shock rather than earned organically, given he was going back to Cersei, it was a nice post-death sendoff scene with his chapter being written in.   I don’t think they needed to hook up for the final book scene to have the same impact, but either way it was a much better ending for his overall arc IMO.  

I also liked that GW got to return to Narth.   Even if he didn’t deserve it Missandei’s people did.   Nice nod to life rarely bring just.   On the flip side Tyrion and his council I liked seeing earn their positions - save Bronn.  Dude as Master of Coin?  Come on.  But Davos as Admiral, Sam as Maester and Brienne/Pod as Kingsguard was as fitting an ending I could imagine.     

Sansa as Queen in the North I could forecast once Dany’s fate was sealed.   Still her arc was as redemptive and complete in series long development - and unlike Bran’s ascension - completely earned.   And yet she also owned that her moves cost Jon dearly.  Her apology to him actually added depth we just have not seen paid enough to other key characters.   Bravo there.   

S8 deserves the criticism for rushed and inconsistent writing.   The focus on spectacle and shortcuts on character jumps IMO are very legit.   But it doesn’t change how great a series it’s been.  And while Bran-as-king doesn’t stick the landing, the finale did about as well as I could have hoped given the issues.  And overall, the series’ greatness won’t be denied.   Missed potential for sure in S8.  But at least I won’t SMH at the ep other than with Bran (the other issues aren’t new, and for Dany / Jon / Sansa / Tyrion given where they started to begin ep8, wasn’t expecting a better character outcome than what was delivered).  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 5

Emilia Clarke was head and shoulders above the rest in the past couple of episodes (IMO). I don't think she's ever been one of the stronger actor/actresses on the show, but she was great. 

As for the ending. I guess parts of it were ok. I was most confused about how easily the North split from the seven kingdoms. Like, no other kingdom fancied ruling themselves?

4 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Oh boy... the mental gymnastics required 

Is it? How many other dragon riders have we seen until now? We've got Dany, we've got the NK with a dead dragon he revived... and we have Jon. We can assume why Jon wasn't part of that group that wasn't fried or eaten...

Tyrion states that dragons are smarter than humans (which is why he unchained Rhaegal and Viserion) so is it a stretch to think Drogon knows more than what we're led to believe?

It's mental walking if you pay attention, mental gymnastics if you're not.

• Like 2

WATCHING PENULTIMATE EPISODE AND I AM SO EFFING VINDICATED FOR HATING DAENERYS AND HAVING TO DEFEND MYSELF AGAINST ALL YOU DORKS WHO HAD A CRUSH ON HER.

I could not effing STAND her and I knew the entire effing series, books, show and all that she was insane and I had to defend myself. 

Lololol at all those loser dorks who named their child after her.  I am literally laughing about that right now.

"Yeah, my parents named me after a character that went insane because they didn't wait until the end of the series." 

So vindicated right now.  I am going to have another drink in celebration.

• Like 2